Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

studying as a PR

studying as a PR

Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Checkmate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default studying as a PR

Very quick question....as a permanent resident of canada, does one pay "home" or "international" fees to study postgraduate degrees at a public university?
Thanks,

Last edited by Checkmate; Mar 6th 2008 at 1:11 am. Reason: error made
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:17 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all
Default Re: studying as a PR

Nope.

I believe there are rules though about being resident in the province your uni is in. Perhaps something to do with Quebec being a special case (when isn't it) but my mrs had issues with maintaining residence in Montreal while she was away in Ontario or her fees at Concordia would have gone up.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:18 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

"Hone" it is.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Checkmate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by windward
Nope.

I believe there are rules though about being resident in the province your uni is in. Perhaps something to do with Quebec being a special case (when isn't it) but my mrs had issues with maintaining residence in Montreal while she was away in Ontario or her fees at Concordia would have gone up.
Thank you for the response, that's quite interesting actually, because Concordia is the institution I was looking into. It's a while off now until things will (might) be complete, obviously, but I am putting in for my CSQ this month.
However, I'm a little confused; if your OH was a student at concordia AND resident in Quebec, I can't quite understand why she would be away in ON anyway!!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:04 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Thank you for the response, that's quite interesting actually, because Concordia is the institution I was looking into. It's a while off now until things will (might) be complete, obviously, but I am putting in for my CSQ this month.
However, I'm a little confused; if your OH was a student at concordia AND resident in Quebec, I can't quite understand why she would be away in ON anyway!!
Hmmm. If I remember right the issue arose between her taking her BA and her MA with them.

Concordia seemed to me to be a good school, what are you planning on studying there?