Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:32 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Originally Posted by Kapri
Can anyone confirm whether nurses have to take the academic test?
Check with the nursing registration authority in Oz where your qualifications will be verified. It should be online.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:18 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

i had a very quick glance at the anmc website the other day and i noticed there was a big article about ielts and uk nurses but didnt have time to read it ... if/when i get chance to read it i will let you know - but hopefully a helpful person in the know will come along and let you know before i get chance to read it
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Can do General or Academic if it is to increase English points from 15 to 25 from 01 September. Would have to be Academic IELTS if it was for ANMC requirements.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice

Hi Kapri,
I've just checked the ANMC site it says:

The requirement to complete an English Language Proficiency Test is waived where a nurses education leading to registration was undertaken in the United Kingdom, Ireland, USA or New Zealand.

Please see the following document:

http://www.anmc.org.au/docs/English_...roficiency.pdf

So it looks like we only need to do the general IELTS if we need the extra points for the actual visa application and not to satisfy the ANMC.

Mark
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:51 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys

I don't actually need the points as I have work experience but that will mean going back to previous employers HR departments for detailed references.
I'm thinking it might be less hassle to do the test.
I know what NHS HR departments are like - it will take them weeks to determine that I did work there, what my role was etc
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

peace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by peace19
DIMIA says, "From 1 September 2007, the department will accept the results of English language tests undertaken in the 24 months before the date the visa application was lodged."

I did IELTS on 2nd Sept 2006. As per new rules, will it be valid until 2nd Sept 2008?

Thanks in advance.
Somebody could please shed some light on it?
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:26 am
Just Joined

KezzaP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New visa English requirements-Question!

Originally Posted by alipally
Well, as I say, if we get passed through TRA we won't need to have these extra points, but they're handy if you're lacking in other areas.

It's certainly opened my eyes and hopefully informed some who were close to the threshold for PR but need a few extra points for independent status.

Ali
ali,

we are like you and dont need the extra points, so wont do the test. So in terms of evidence that you are a native speaker do you just have to provide your passport and nothing else??....what are you putting together?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 6:54 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Hi all

My hubby sat the General IELTS test in July and scored the following :

Listening 9.0
Reading 9.0
Writing 8.5
Speaking 9.0
Overall Score 9.0

He did the test to get the 25 points for English ability for the new 175 GSM visa out on Sept 1st
Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

deano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud of

The BBC are now reporting these changes

Australia targets British workers
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:34 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Good Luck to all of you thinking about sitting the IELTS test
Old Aug 20th 2007, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

Thanks for the really useful info on this thread.

I heard / read that it will no longer be possible to get 5 points for spouse sklls as from Sept 1st. Does anyone know if this is the case? If it is then we need to take the Eng test - if not then we're ok!

Thanks
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice

Originally Posted by movin'on
Thanks for the really useful info on this thread.

I heard / read that it will no longer be possible to get 5 points for spouse sklls as from Sept 1st. Does anyone know if this is the case? If it is then we need to take the Eng test - if not then we're ok!

Thanks
Hi movin'on,
Here's a link for the new points system come 1st Sept:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...oints-test.pdf

As you can see 5 points are given for

"Partner Skills - Partner meets threshold GSM requirements"

Hope this helps.

Mark
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:24 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Good Luck to all of you thinking about sitting the IELTS test

think we will need it - applied to do it at sheffield hallam uni, 22nd sept/22nd oct ... asked for dates in 2008, so shall see what comes back
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

When my OH looked at places to do the IELTS test, we found most places are booked for several months ahead, in fact some had no places for 6 months! He managed to get into Southampton quickly though, although he had to sit the Academic version of the test as he needed this for his skills assessment.
The examiners thought it was a bit strange that he had to sit the test as everyone else there was from other non - english speaking countries.
We brought the pack from IELTS which was useful, I thought the general test looked very straight forward and I asked my 10 year old do it, she had no problems at all, so I wouldn't worry too much
However I am glad that it wasn't me sitting the academic version as I thought the practice papers were quite hard, analysing statistics etc, OH is good at that sort of stuff, fortunately
Good luck to all doing the test and remember to book well ahead.
Sammy
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

Thanks Mark
Appreciate your help. Will check it out asap
xx

Originally Posted by cheshiremark
Hi movin'on,
Here's a link for the new points system come 1st Sept:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...oints-test.pdf

As you can see 5 points are given for

"Partner Skills - Partner meets threshold GSM requirements"

Hope this helps.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.