Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Old Aug 3rd 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice
Default Re: New visa English requirements-Question!

Originally Posted by sssstew
it is very boring for us nativly speaking english.... its enough to drive you mad sometimes.. the test lasts the whole morning then i had to wait the whole afternoon to sit my spoken test.
Yeah, I can imagine. I've checked the available dates for the test at Manchester University and they seem to be all on Saturdays. I can think of a lot of other things i'd rather be doing on a Saturday but looks like I have no choice if I want these points
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
As a former EFL teacher, I am totally bemused by this policy. The IELTS exams were never designed to test native speakers – they are designed to demonstrate how closely an applicant’s English is to that of a native speaker. So it’s a bit like comparing a fish with a fish…
IELTS tests more than just spoken English. Many so-called "native" speakers may have serious difficulties with reading and writing at a proficient level.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Obedoh9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alipally
If it gives bonus points that you need for the visa.... then it's worth it every time... £95 and a day out of your life in return for the opportunity to live in Australia!
Don't knock it... it probably won't last long, as it's such a cop out for extra points IMHO!
I've just sat the test and got the required level without a problem. It's a bind I agree, but small price to pay if you need the extra points as I do.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:34 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Originally Posted by deano66
This doesn't affect me but I sympathize with your OH. You could speak the Queen's English like Stephen Fry but be rubbish at test.

If he could get hold of a past IELTS test paper, perhaps that would put his mind at rest that it'd be a doddle. And 25 points can come in handy.

Best of luck
-d
I will be taking my IELTS test in 2 weeks time (I've done one before and got 9 in all parts of the test). I will let you all know in more detail what the test entails (my previous test was 7 years ago so may be out of date).

I reckon it'll be ok and can't be too difficult!
Old Aug 4th 2007, 4:40 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
IELTS tests more than just spoken English. Many so-called "native" speakers may have serious difficulties with reading and writing at a proficient level.
I know, hence

Additionally, some native speakers may not do well in the exam and may not qualify for the full 25 points even though their communication skills are at least “proficient”. Possible reasons for this are any kind of literacy problem, or more likely “exam fright”.
What is a "so-called" native speaker?

Last edited by I_Will_Freckle; Aug 4th 2007 at 4:44 am.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:30 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
Unless you specifically NEED the points to meet the pass mark, you don't have to do and waste time and money... x

we need the points
Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:32 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
I will be taking my IELTS test in 2 weeks time (I've done one before and got 9 in all parts of the test). I will let you all know in more detail what the test entails (my previous test was 7 years ago so may be out of date).

I reckon it'll be ok and can't be too difficult!

thanks tking, that would be very helpful.

there is a sample paper on ielts website, which we will have a look at later ...
Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins

my other half, although literate is not very good at tests, bless him .... shall have to ply him with copious amounts of alcohol to talk him into it.
I would have thought that even for someone not very good a tests, the ability to speak in your native language wouldnt be that much of a problem. How hard can it be?

Id be interested to see examples of questions if anybody knows any. Probably be asking where the museum is and ordering a coffee with cream if anything like foreign languages at school
Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by adiestubbs
Id be interested to see examples of questions if anybody knows any. :

as i said, examples are on ielts website.

as for how hard can it be? blinkin hard if you are dyslexic or have a problem in exams ...
Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:01 am

there are some sample questions here ...

http://www.ielts.org/candidates/find...rticle279.aspx
Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

as i said, examples are on ielts website.

as for how hard can it be? blinkin hard if you are dyslexic or have a problem in exams ...

Writing a letter of complaint about a dodgy heater and debating the question of whether smoking should be allowed in public places. Piece of cake. Im sure they are not expecting Tolkien, Orwell et al
Old Aug 4th 2007, 9:02 am
Just Joined

fezbro is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, are you the main applicant? If you are, then I think it's ONLY you that needs to take and pass the test to gain the points.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Obedoh9 is an unknown quantity at this point

there are some sample questions here ...

http://www.ielts.org/candidates/find...rticle279.aspx
If any one wants a copy of some practice materials I bought from IELTS I'd be happy t send it on to you.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Two threads now merged to keep things together
Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Kim Hunter will become famous soon enoughKim Hunter will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

Yes, general test is all you need unless your occupation requires the academic test eg doctors.

Hello from a chilly Sydney.

Regards,
Kim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.