Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida - Lakewood ranch

Florida - Lakewood ranch

Old May 10th 2012, 7:40 pm
Joined May 2012

Sean1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Florida - Lakewood ranch

In the very early stages of planning a move to Lakewood ranch from uk. Aside from visa and legalities etc, would really appreciate the opinion of anyone living or who has lived here as to how it is, schooling, lifestyle, regrets (yes or no) ? Have visited 3/4 times - seems great but informed opinion would helpful.
Thanks Sean.
Old May 10th 2012, 8:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida - Lakewood ranch

Welcome to BE. First off I have to ask...what type of visa do you have/are you obtaining?
Old May 10th 2012, 8:25 pm
Joined May 2012

Thanks for the welcome. Very early stages at minute and don't yet have a visa. I do know a couple of people who obtained permanent residency through investment - 500k, this may be a route we take. Either way we would becoming to set up business. At this point though, was looking for feedback on Lakewood ranch.
Old May 10th 2012, 8:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean1976
Thanks for the welcome. Very early stages at minute and don't yet have a visa. I do know a couple of people who obtained permanent residency through investment - 500k, this may be a route we take. Either way we would becoming to set up business. At this point though, was looking for feedback on Lakewood ranch.
We have a few members living in that area. We have also had several threads on Lakewood...search the thread titles by using this...and it should pull up the threads.

To discuss your visa options I suggest you post in the US Immmmigration forum. The regulars who post in there will be able to help you with your visa issues/questions.
Old May 10th 2012, 9:22 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Just curious, is there a particular reason you chose Lakewood ranch? Have you looked at any other areas on Florida's west coast? Are you particularly attracted to a master planned community? They tend to be comfortable middle class places with low crime but you can end up doing a lot of driving to get anywhere. Taxes can be rather high. Where I am these communities carry their own community development fees which can run to a couple thousand over and above your regular county/state property taxes. That's one reason I don't live in one.
Old May 10th 2012, 9:49 pm
Joined May 2012

I appreciate your points. My parents have a place on Lakewood hence our preference. They have also had places at englewood and Venice, and they prefer Lakewood so to a degree having visited all, I am also being guided by their thoughts. But it's always good to get third party information.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:43 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

You probably know then about the homeowners association? In well-off master planned communities the HOA nazis can be particularly infuriating. Their job is to ensure the community is the polar opposite of a Florida trailer park. To this end you will get frequent threatening letters if they find a blade of grass in your lawn 1/2 inch longer than the others.
The net result is the community is very homogeneous, which is fine if you are an organized neat freak. They also seem to be populated about 95% by Republicans. Read into that what you will (but it might not mean much to you until you've been here many years).
Old May 10th 2012, 10:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
You probably know then about the homeowners association? In well-off master planned communities the HOA nazis can be particularly infuriating. Their job is to ensure the community is the polar opposite of a Florida trailer park. To this end you will get frequent threatening letters if they find a blade of grass in your lawn 1/2 inch longer than the others.
The net result is the community is very homogeneous, which is fine if you are an organized neat freak. They also seem to be populated about 95% by Republicans. Read into that what you will (but it might not mean much to you until you've been here many years).
AWP's threads about his HOA in Florida were a real eye opener...as well as being extremely funny.
Old May 10th 2012, 11:00 pm
Occasionally here

Me to HOA: 'But I thought this was the land of the free'.

HOA: 'It is: we are free to put as many restrictions on you as we wish'.
Old May 10th 2012, 11:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
Me to HOA: 'But I thought this was the land of the free'.

HOA: 'It is: we are free to put as many restrictions on you as we wish'.
Old May 10th 2012, 11:20 pm
Occasionally here

Originally Posted by Sean1976
In the very early stages of planning a move to Lakewood ranch from uk. Aside from visa and legalities etc, would really appreciate the opinion of anyone living or who has lived here as to how it is, schooling, lifestyle, regrets (yes or no) ? Have visited 3/4 times - seems great but informed opinion would helpful.
Thanks Sean.
BTW - how old are your kids? Schools in Florida cover the complete spectrum. I don't have any experience of the Manatee or Sarasota county systems but from experience in Tampa beware anything which is touted as a 'magnet' school. Such schools run supposed specialized programs in the arts or science. But the real purpose is to attract middle class kids to schools which by changing demographics were once in good areas which are now less desirable and which the county wants to improve. This sometimes works, but I prefer established schools with track records and no gimmiky programs. Unfortunatley newer communties like Lakewood have - by definiton - new schools, so their track record may not be very long. Well established middle class areas tend to have reasonable schools although if your kids are, or will soon be, high school age you need to be careful how to navigate the system - more info later if you want.
Old May 11th 2012, 11:36 am
Joined May 2012

Many thanks for all the info, will be in touch.