Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American toilets

American toilets

Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:13 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American toilets

Having spent a bit of time in China, I have acquired a liking for social-pooping, no better time than a s**t for a quick game of chess and the like, I have continued to do this in America, I always place a chess board on the ground half in my coral, half in the neighbours, I even put white in the neighbours half. But these yanks are so anti-social; not once has a pawn been moved, other than by a swift kick.

It took some time to find one of those Chinese toilets that could be posted without causing extreme offence.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Screw that. The main problem with american toilets is that the average arsehole-to-waterline distance is far too short, resulting in much more likelihood of splashback than you'd ever get on a properly calibrated Armitage Shanks number.

However they do have those nice paper toilet seat cover things, which saves me a lot of time not having to carefully place strips of TP around the thing.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Having spent a bit of time in China, I have acquired a liking for social-pooping, no better time than a s**t for a quick game of chess and the like, I have continued to do this in America, I always place a chess board on the ground half in my coral, half in the neighbours, I even put white in the neighbours half. But these yanks are so anti-social; not once has a pawn been moved, other than by a swift kick.

It took some time to find one of those Chinese toilets that could be posted without causing extreme offence.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/92/24...685fc65556.jpg
Are those cigarette butts on the floor in front? If so that's disgusting.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Where I work there used to be a regular men's and and a women's on each floor of the building.. You opened the door, there was a lobby, you opened another door and you were in the toilets, three stalls and a couple of washbasins, or two stalls and two urinals etc. In the men's. So semi public, but quite civilized. Then in the renovations in 1998, they converted most of them for ADA compliance; where there had been a communal washroom, there is now just a big room with one toilet and one washbasin in it. Those are the public toilets I dislike, especially when they have the button on the door handle that supposedly locks the door.. Since you only find out the door wasn't properly locked when someone walks in on you..
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Then in the renovations in 1998, they converted most of them for ADA compliance; where there had been a communal washroom, there is now just a big room with one toilet and one washbasin in it. Those are the public toilets I dislike, especially when they have the button on the door handle that supposedly locks the door.. Since you only find out the door wasn't properly locked when someone walks in on you..
UK trains are like that. When you innocently press the button to go in and find somebody sitting on the toilet, they glare at you like it's your fault that they haven't locked the door! Give me a physical lever any day.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
UK trains are like that. When you innocently press the button to go in and find somebody sitting on the toilet, they glare at you like it's your fault that they haven't locked the door! Give me a physical lever any day.
The sign on the control for the lock is really confusing on those.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The sign on the control for the lock is really confusing on those.
The one that says "LOCK" or "PRESS TO LOCK"? Right next to the "close door" button?! Not sure if you're being sarcastic.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/92/24...685fc65556.jpg
These things, tacked onto the back of country pubs. This one is missing the requisite mold growing on the walls though.
Attached Thumbnails American toilets-cistern.jpg  
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
The one that says "LOCK" or "PRESS TO LOCK"? Right next to the "close door" button?! Not sure if you're being sarcastic.
Last time I used one it had a diagram for something to be positioned for locked or unlocked, I couldn't work it out
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
These things, tacked onto the back of country pubs. This one is missing the requisite mold growing on the walls though.
I like the high-level cisterns. We had the original 1920's ones in our old house, still worked fine
Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I have a business owner that comes to the lab every month with his water sample to be tested (as in well water, by state rules) Every time he comes to the lab he uses the restroom and every time he leaves there is pee on the seat and floor.
There's an individual who does this in my office. He's been reported by a couple of people but the company won't do anything because there are no "witnesses".
Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

I don't get all the fuss: everyone goes to the toilet. EVERYONE. So the stalls don't offer sufficient privacy. Get over it: it's what they're used to and, since you are here, you'll have to get used to it. Besides, you can always wait till you get home if it bothers you that much!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by markwm
I don't get all the fuss: everyone goes to the toilet. EVERYONE. So the stalls don't offer sufficient privacy. Get over it: it's what they're used to and, since you are here, you'll have to get used to it. Besides, you can always wait till you get home if it bothers you that much!
Get with the programme buddy.
It doesn't actually bother anyone, we are just having a bit of a bitch, and this topic is as good as any other.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
Get with the programme buddy.
It doesn't actually bother anyone, we are just having a bit of a bitch, and this topic is as good as any other.
Did you miss the smiley? Perhaps constipation got the better of you.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Last time I used one it had a diagram for something to be positioned for locked or unlocked, I couldn't work it out
Oh I see! Yes, the hieroglyphics can make you wonder sometimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.