Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Treatment of passengers by customs.

Treatment of passengers by customs.

Old Apr 29th 2012, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

shaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really nice
Default Treatment of passengers by customs.

Hi again, the first time my wife came to visit me in the UK, at Manchester Airport she came out of customs crying. The so called official gave her a very hard time, reducing her to tears, she complied with everything, was polite but was treated badly. He may have had a bad day but he should have left it at home, i know customs have a hard job, but genuine people like her are given a hard time Why??. I looked round for a complaints office, there was none, what are her rights please, now she has been a few times to the UK, they ask " you come here often why*, i thought it was allowed for a wife to come visit her husband.................regards....Alan.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 5:36 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Treatment of passengers by customs.

Some airports are worse than others and there's always those customs officials whose power goes to their heads.
I never had problems in the UK at airports, but those at ferry ports were a real pain often.
In the US and Canada airports, the big airports seem to have the worst customs people. The worst we've encountered is Montreal. I heard many new customs officers go there for their first post, so they're keener.
Make sure you put in a complaint to the proper authorities.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows why she was given a hard time. Maybe the official thought it was suspicious that a married couple did not live together; maybe her answers did not convince them she would leave the country. None of us were there so we can't know.

If she believes she has grounds for a complaint, she should complain.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shaman
Hi again, the first time my wife came to visit me in the UK, at Manchester Airport she came out of customs crying. The so called official gave her a very hard time, reducing her to tears, she complied with everything, was polite but was treated badly. He may have had a bad day but he should have left it at home, i know customs have a hard job, but genuine people like her are given a hard time Why??. I looked round for a complaints office, there was none, what are her rights please, now she has been a few times to the UK, they ask " you come here often why*, i thought it was allowed for a wife to come visit her husband.................regards....Alan.
Customs are allowed to ask question, they likely won't remember her from her last visit, hence the question or maybe find out if she gave the same answer as last time. How do they know who is a 'genuine' person to one who is not. That is why they are there.

It is allowed for spouse to visit, which is why they let her in.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:53 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
I never had problems in the UK at airports, but those at ferry ports were a real pain often.
The last time I visited the UK with my husband we were over 2 hours at the passport control at the ferry port....our little boy was crying, I was getting cross, but a horrid woman had disappeared my husband into an office and we were told nothing. We are still no wiser now, and he's in and out of Heathrow like a rabbit from it's hole...'she' was vey nasty, and all of her colleagues were really nice to me and our son and gave him sweets. Little wonder I never go back to Britain! The problem is that I felt, and would feel, hesitant to complain in case I went onto a list of 'those to receive a good grilling' - the lady in question had obviously got out of the wrong side of her cold and lonely bed, but it still doesn't
Make it any better when you are on the receiving end.

Last edited by MillieF; Apr 29th 2012 at 7:55 pm. Reason: Odd lines that I can't fix!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ab...ingacomplaint/

Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article on UKBA here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...passports.html

Funny how some think UK Customs is easier than Canada yet they have the same problems as us.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

To add my 2c worth...(or twopennorth)

It's an issue wherever you go. I cross the southern border of the USA on a fairly frequent basis. When I am in line, I hope (and sometimes pray) that I'll get an older, white, Euro-American male officer - they tend to be the most efficient, friendlier and more welcoming.

The last thing I want is a young, female, Hispanic officer - boy, you can see the chips on their shoulders a mile off. Doesn't matter what time of day it is (or time of month - ahem!), how polite and smiley and cooperative you are, they have issues and boy will they let you know it!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

shaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really nice

Thanks guys, for your answers. I do realise what customs are for, and why they have to ask questions...

Customs are allowed to ask question, they likely won't remember her from her last visit, hence the question or maybe find out if she gave the same answer as last time. How do they know who is a 'genuine' person to one who is not. That is why they are there.

It is allowed for spouse to visit, which is why they let her in.

they soon know a genuine person, which she surely is, I also know my wife is allowed into the country, but in my first post it says the way she WAS TREATED. No one should be the very last one out of customs, crying, because the chap in my opinion was a bully and took his authority too far. She has come through London at times, no problem same at Manchester, but if she has this guy, look out. As far as complaints you have to complain via the airport website, i have told her any problems come out to me, and lets sort it out face to face, i would rather talk to someone tell them what i think of them, as i will not be intimidated by anyone......Alan.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As this doesn't seem to have anything to do with Canada I shall move it to the Moving Back to the UK forum, where hopefully the lovely people there will be able to give you some words of wisdom.

Old Apr 30th 2012, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi and thank you kindly for all the replies, thanks to christmasoompa for moving the post here, sorry if i put it in the wrong place....Alan
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:39 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Of course a person is allowed to visit a spouse but if they are "visiting" often are they living there without the correct visa, hence the questions. But as shown above if you really feel she was given a hard time and she was only visiting then do complain.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Are concerned about Customs or about Immigration officers?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 7:19 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Are concerned about Customs or about Immigration officers?
I think there is an assumption it is Immigration, I was going to ask that too but decided that it was perhaps an error or someone not knowing
Old Apr 30th 2012, 7:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

More specifically, the OP is referring to the Border Agency... customs has nothing to do with immigration matters, they are only concerned with what you may be bringing into the country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.