Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Big Anniversary

The Big Anniversary

Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:05 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Big Anniversary

I know the big world changed after 9/11, but so did my little world. After a day of watching the horrendous events on television, I threw away our travel plans and cancelled the booked accommodation where I was able to. We were going to start in the Middle East, after a lifetime of planning and saving.

We did travel to the US a few years later and the indignity of our treatment by the border guards was beyond belief. Even the more frequent visits to the UK were spoiled by the new security checks.

But what really disturbs me is the Muslim hatred in the UK, reciprocated all the way. I can't see that getting any better in my lifetime.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Big Anniversary

Originally Posted by HBG
We did travel to the US a few years later and the indignity of our treatment by the border guards was beyond belief.
I suffered their treatment before 9/11 whilst transiting through and swore never to go back.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:11 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I know the big world changed after 9/11, but so did my little world. After a day of watching the horrendous events on television, I threw away our travel plans and cancelled the booked accommodation where I was able to. We were going to start in the Middle East, after a lifetime of planning and saving.

We did travel to the US a few years later and the indignity of our treatment by the border guards was beyond belief. Even the more frequent visits to the UK were spoiled by the new security checks.

But what really disturbs me is the Muslim hatred in the UK, reciprocated all the way. I can't see that getting any better in my lifetime.
Maybe you would have a different view if you had been born female, which in the muslim religion means that you are quite often classed as a worthless object to be disposed of in brutal way, as the following article shows.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news...o-2869392.html

What is most sickening is the silence of the females in the family(living in the UK), and I bet that there are quite a few people in their circles who knew or guessed what had happened, and they also kept quiet.

Which to me shows that they have no respect for British law, and I for one thank my lucky stars that I was not born to a muslim family, as I got pregnant before marriage, and might not be alive today to tell the tale.

There are threads on here talking about being embarassed by the level of Spanish spoken by expats and tourists to Spain.

I wonder if there are any threads in a similar vein on Muslim forums, talking about being embarassed by the "honor killings" and forced marriages committed by their fellow muslims

A lot more serious than not being fluent in a languge don`t you think?

At least the police in Spain do not have to deal with that sort of thing from the British expats, with all the time and money involved.

So is there really any mystery as to why the ill feelings against muslims in the UK exist?

Last edited by me me; Sep 11th 2011 at 8:15 am.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:12 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Every time the Yanks gob on about 9/11, I remember all the IRA attacks funded by them, supported by them and all the IRA terrorists they treated as honoured guests.

So, in one sense, 9/11 was a case of the Yanks getting a taste of what they had been happy to dish out over the years.

My only sorrow was that the twin towers hadn't been stuffed full of just the Americans who had supported terrorism.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

The differences between cultures will always be a source of excuse/reason to like or dislike others. Some things in one culture are abhorrent to others but the norm for those brought up in it. Your view of life in all ways/forms is your way not the way of all. Maybe if some cultures/people stopped thinking their way was the only way the world would be a better place.

I don't see the connection that leads to a disrespect of British law, it is their law that decided the way females are looked upon and treated, would you speak up if you were one of them and then possibly suffer the same fate or worse ? People live by their laws not by the laws of others, not many change their culture to that of the country they are living in if different from their home country.

The 'when in Rome' ethic is not applied by the majority, we, collectively, tend to live by our laws and complain loudly when dealt with in the laws of the country we have moved to.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:30 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
The differences between cultures will always be a source of excuse/reason to like or dislike others. Some things in one culture are abhorrent to others but the norm for those brought up in it. Your view of life in all ways/forms is your way not the way of all. Maybe if some cultures/people stopped thinking their way was the only way the world would be a better place.

I don't see the connection that leads to a disrespect of British law, it is their law that decided the way females are looked upon and treated, would you speak up if you were one of them and then possibly suffer the same fate or worse ? People live by their laws not by the laws of others, not many change their culture to that of the country they are living in if different from their home country.

The 'when in Rome' ethic is not applied by the majority, we, collectively, tend to live by our laws and complain loudly when dealt with in the laws of the country we have moved to.
Right, so you can´t understand that it is disrespectful of the law to kill a British born woman in the UK because of a difference in culture?

And I bet you would cry out "disrepect" if a British woman showed her body in the streets a country where that is frowned upon, and say she deserves being punished..........
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not know the story, if the woman was british born to a family whos culture she was brought up with then it is their way. I do not say it is right, but is their way. They are doing no less than many who go to countries with no drinking laws and take/go drinking, nor steal in countries where hands are cut off.

I was not brought up in a strict set of religous beliefs, I am more tolerant of others ways, they may be good bad or simply different but they are their ways.

My view is that if you live in a culture different from the way you were brought up or the way you want to live then you should still respect the ways of others. If you break the law of a country you are in then yes you are not above the rules and why should you be treated differently ?
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:56 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

My attitudes are quite simple. If you want to apply genital mutilation to your children, insist that women wear a bag over their heads, and wish to live by sharia law, then you should bugger off back home and leave the rest of us to live a civilised life in peace.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 11:13 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Every time the Yanks gob on about 9/11, I remember all the IRA attacks funded by them, supported by them and all the IRA terrorists they treated as honoured guests.

So, in one sense, 9/11 was a case of the Yanks getting a taste of what they had been happy to dish out over the years.

My only sorrow was that the twin towers hadn't been stuffed full of just the Americans who had supported terrorism.
Nailed right on the head.
Truly amazing how their attitude changed once they suffered a dose of the same medicine.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 11:59 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Nailed right on the head.
Truly amazing how their attitude changed once they suffered a dose of the same medicine.
The UK was no angel either, but look at how many countries have had their elected governments trashed or overthrown with US support. Their country was formed from the genocide of most of the idigenous peoples, they screwed with almost every country in Central & South America, the middle east was set against the west due to the US and the UK messing with their governments, Grenada, the list goes on.

Yeah, once they needed our support they soon decided that perhaps funding the IRA wasn't such a good idea...

The US is no friend to us, or any other country. I get pig sick of them going on about how they saved us in WW2.

They came late to the task, weren't the biggest help and now take all the credit.

If one country saved us in WW2, it was the Russians. They lost more soldiers than the US and the UK put together, and were it not for them facing slaughter keeping the Eastern front open against the Nazis, we would never have been able to cross the channel and invade Europe.

Their people were slaughtered in the death camps and used as slave labour.

About time the yanks started recognising that, and stopped trying to hog all the glory.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 12:01 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I found out, quite recently, that you need to be careful with your prejudices. I had to visit a part of east London where I used to live and where I still own a flat. The whole place has turned Asian over the years but that doesn't bother me.

I went into a pub I last visited many years ago and said to the Asian landlord that there was a rather nice looking Mosque on the next corner, which was true. He gave me an old-fashioned look and I could see the bouncer sitting in the corner suddenly becoming interested in the conversation, so much so that he came and joined me at the bar.

He was a giant Jamaican and asked me what I had said to upset his boss. I shrugged my shoulders and mentioned the Mosque on the corner, drinking my pint as fast as I could.

The bouncer laughed out loud. 'Where have you been, Honky? That's not a Mosque, it's a Hindu Temple.'
Old Sep 11th 2011, 12:03 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
My attitudes are quite simple. If you want to apply genital mutilation to your children, insist that women wear a bag over their heads, and wish to live by sharia law, then you should bugger off back home and leave the rest of us to live a civilised life in peace.
my feelings too.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:59 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Originally Posted by jackytoo
my feelings too.

I agree too, but if you say that you are immidiately accused of being racist.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I bet a lot of spanish wish half the moaning expats would buggar off back to their countries and stop interferring with their ways !

Pots and kettles.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:22 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
I bet a lot of spanish wish half the moaning expats would buggar off back to their countries and stop interferring with their ways !

Pots and kettles.
Most Spanish never give the Brits a second thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.