Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Old Dec 27th 2006, 3:06 am
Just Joined

argyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really nice
Default Re: Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Originally Posted by britvic
So are you far from me then I'm in York Town VA right on the boarder of Newport News ?
I now live outside of Woodbridge, VA, close to Washington D.C.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 3:31 am
Just Joined

argyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really nice
Default Re: Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
I came to Australia with my parents at 15, that was in 1956 and as I have posted many times regarding this subject I for one never settled....sometimes I think perhaps like you, we were the wrong age to have been brought to another country and that being " any country "
I am still in Oz as I now have Grandchildren and Great grandchildren,so it would mean me leaving them all behind should I return,but beleive me there are still days when I cry thinking of all the family that I missed out on growing up as at teenager in OZ.I go home to the U.K. every year and that helps....and have you noticed I still call the U.K. HOME GOD HOW SAD IS THAT :scared: someone once said immigration is like planting a seed in the garden,some seeds take root others just die.
Hello,
I'm touched by your story, my heart goes out to you.
It doesn't matter where you live as long as you are surrounded by family and friends.
Your quote hit home with me.
Take care.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
What does your husband think of a move to the UK? Has he ever visited? And how long is it since you visited?

If you do decide to return to the UK, you should obtain your US citizenship first (if you don't already have it). That will keep the door open should you want to return to America later.

Lots of people in your situation move back to their former country, realise that America is where they really want to be, but can't return because their green card is gone.

"Reconnecting" with everyone may be easier said than done as their lives will have followed a different path over the last 16 years.

And regardless of whether or not you decide to return to the UK, you should obtain British style birth certificates and British passports for your children. Assuming you are UK-born, they are British citizens (by descent) as well as US citizens.
I thought that if I obtained my US citizenship I would automatically loose my British citizenship. I would have to get a US passport.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I agree with JAJ and others. get your US citizenship first, then maybe you can discuss things with your husband and maybe agree to a trial move (say a year or two) that can be reviewed later.

This would also be an opportunity for him to delve into several cultures (as europe is only a hop, skip n a jump away). This would also be very positive for your children.

If he won't agree to a trial period in UK (or feels he can't go), or if you do go and can't reach agreement on a final palce to call home after the trial period, then sadly, you will be between a rock and a hard place.

You have lived in Virginia and Florida; not exactly representative of the US as a nation I'd have thought. But it is a big country and you cant upstix and move every other year just to try a different spot that might be better than the last.

I really wish you good luck with it all, sometimes there is no easy answer. Have you had much luck in making friends there? as this can help a lot if you meet genuine people who's company you enjoy and you are able to build a friendship with.

have a nice xmas
I agree VA is not a representative of the US since I have visited other states. The USA can be a great place to live for many, it just isn't home to me. My roots take me back to the UK. I want to go back to a place I can really call home.
Old Dec 28th 2006, 12:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by argyl1
I thought that if I obtained my US citizenship I would automatically loose my British citizenship. I would have to get a US passport.
You would have to get a US passport but where on earth do you get the idea that you would lose your British citizenship? (or the ability to use a British passport outside the US)

Start here to read about US law: http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

As a US citizen overseas you still have to file for federal tax, although because of foreign income exclusions and foreign tax credits most expat Americans don't have to pay much (if anything).

If you choose not to become a US citizen, then when you move back to Britain your green card is lost very quickly and you will then have a problem should you want to return to the US. Many people have abandoned their permanent resident status and are now well and truly stuck in their home countries with no chance of getting back to the US as anything other than a tourist.
Old Dec 28th 2006, 7:01 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
I immigrated to the USA 16yrs ago ?
My advice is dont leave to long. I'm approaching 50 and have been here 20 years and would love to escape, but facts are facts, I'm well known and employable here, but a middle aged nobody over in the UK. It would be very difficult to start again.
Have you tried joining a local Brit meetup group? I joined one last year and it makes things much more bearable, same sense of humor, taking the piss out of the yanks etc.
Best of luck
Rob
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Hello,
I'm touched by your story, my heart goes out to you.
It doesn't matter where you live as long as you are surrounded by family and friends.
Your quote hit home with me.
Take care.
Thanks Argyl It's nice to know that someone understands,all the very best for 2007
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Originally Posted by JAJ
You would have to get a US passport but where on earth do you get the idea that you would lose your British citizenship? (or the ability to use a British passport outside the US)

Start here to read about US law: http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

As a US citizen overseas you still have to file for federal tax, although because of foreign income exclusions and foreign tax credits most expat Americans don't have to pay much (if anything).

If you choose not to become a US citizen, then when you move back to Britain your green card is lost very quickly and you will then have a problem should you want to return to the US. Many people have abandoned their permanent resident status and are now well and truly stuck in their home countries with no chance of getting back to the US as anything other than a tourist.
Thankyou for the information on US law.
The reason I believed I would loose my British citizenship is because when my sister became a US citizen she took an oath and renounced her UK citizenship during the naturalization ceremony.
It appears I was wrong.
I have never considered becoming a US citizen because I have always wanted to go back to the UK never to return to USA. However, I don't know what the future might hold so I am now considering US citizenship for the first time in 16yrs. I want to leave a door open just in case...
I need to find out more information though.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:45 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Life is never that simple because I am married and have 2 young children so I have to consider them first. I feel trapped where I am.
Is there anyone out there in a similar situation?
I think that your "trapped" feeling is what you need to consider first.

I don't know whether your father had to consent to allow your mother to leave the UK with you and your sister. I do know that in your case, American children living in the US with an American father, and with you having permanent residency, a court is unlikely to allow you to move a few counties away without their father's consent, and will almost never allow you to remove the children from the US.

What does your husband think of your wanting to move? Whether your marriage is a good one or not, you will have to work with him as to where the children live, and if you want to live with your children, that will determine your residence until (usually) they are 18.

What you can do is register your children's overseas (US) births with the UK authorities and obtain US citizenship for yourself. There are many threads elsewhere on dual citizenship, but it is a possibility for yourself and your children if you plan ahead.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 11:39 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Thankyou for the information on US law.
The reason I believed I would loose my British citizenship is because when my sister became a US citizen she took an oath and renounced her UK citizenship during the naturalization ceremony.
It appears I was wrong.
I have never considered becoming a US citizen because I have always wanted to go back to the UK never to return to USA. However, I don't know what the future might hold so I am now considering US citizenship for the first time in 16yrs. I want to leave a door open just in case...
I need to find out more information though.

Actually the UK government does not recognise that taking an oath when taking US citizenship will cause British citizenship to be lost! The only way you can 'lose' British citizenship is to make a declaration in the presence of a British consular official. This means that your sister is *still* a British citizen as far as the British government is concerned and she can apply for a British passport at any time and is free to choose to live in the UK any time she likes and the same will apply to you if you decide to take up US citizenship too.

This link is from the British Embassy in Washington DC:

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41001&a=25317

(Home page and links to download UK passport applications):

http://www.britainusa.com

The above links also confirms that your children (if born on or after 1 Jan 1983) are also British citizens by descent and entitled to have their own British passports. However - they do need to have US passports when leaving and re-entering the USA.

I hope this clarifies it for you!
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 11:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
The above links also confirms that your children (if born on or after 1 Jan 1983) are also British citizens by descent
If children were born before 1983 and only the mother is British, then they are not automatically British citizens.

But under a law change passed in 2003, they would be entitled to register as British citizens by descent (provided they are born after 7 Feb 1961 and mother is UK born or naturalised).

If children are born in 1983 or later, it's recommended to obtain British style birth certificates as well as British passports.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

THEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud of

IrishGuinness, your story sounds exactly like mine - only I came with my folks to Australia fifteen and a half years ago, at 16. And boy, do I wish I hadn't. To be honest, I didn't hate it straight away - I was sad to be leaving my friends and everything, but assumed I'd make new ones.
Big mistake!
At 31, I have absolutely nothing to show for a decade and a half here. There's no way I can afford to come home, either. What annoys me the most is that the folks have no more than I do - half the time they loll around bore senseless - but their attitude to England is retarded to say the least. I wish we could all just go home. I've tried for fifteen years to fit in, make friends, get a life, try and feel like I belong here. But I just don't. I wish we could just go back tomorrow - there's certainly not one single thing to stay for.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by THEGREATIDIOT
IrishGuinness, your story sounds exactly like mine - only I came with my folks to Australia fifteen and a half years ago, at 16. And boy, do I wish I hadn't. To be honest, I didn't hate it straight away - I was sad to be leaving my friends and everything, but assumed I'd make new ones.
Big mistake!
At 31, I have absolutely nothing to show for a decade and a half here. There's no way I can afford to come home, either. What annoys me the most is that the folks have no more than I do - half the time they loll around bore senseless - but their attitude to England is retarded to say the least. I wish we could all just go home. I've tried for fifteen years to fit in, make friends, get a life, try and feel like I belong here. But I just don't. I wish we could just go back tomorrow - there's certainly not one single thing to stay for.
Hi, I know how you feel and my heart goes out to you,could you not go home even for a holiday? It sounds as though your parents don't want to go back. Please don't give up hope of returning,it took me 25 years to go back for a holiday,due to the fact I had 4 children at that time in my life,and money was just not there for me to do so.
I never gave up hope,even though as a teenager coming to this country,I cried myself to sleep most nights. Always I kept telling myself I would return,and still would if it where not for my children being in OZ.
Take care you are in my thoughts.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I think that your "trapped" feeling is what you need to consider first.

I don't know whether your father had to consent to allow your mother to leave the UK with you and your sister. I do know that in your case, American children living in the US with an American father, and with you having permanent residency, a court is unlikely to allow you to move a few counties away without their father's consent, and will almost never allow you to remove the children from the US.

What does your husband think of your wanting to move? Whether your marriage is a good one or not, you will have to work with him as to where the children live, and if you want to live with your children, that will determine your residence until (usually) they are 18.

What you can do is register your children's overseas (US) births with the UK authorities and obtain US citizenship for yourself. There are many threads elsewhere on dual citizenship, but it is a possibility for yourself and your children if you plan ahead.
I feel trapped because I'm ready for us to leave now, but we can't.
We have to apply for passports and a settlement visa. It costs $520 just for the visa for my husband. It's going to take time, money and a ton of paper work to prepare for a big move back home.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Actually the UK government does not recognise that taking an oath when taking US citizenship will cause British citizenship to be lost! The only way you can 'lose' British citizenship is to make a declaration in the presence of a British consular official. This means that your sister is *still* a British citizen as far as the British government is concerned and she can apply for a British passport at any time and is free to choose to live in the UK any time she likes and the same will apply to you if you decide to take up US citizenship too.

This link is from the British Embassy in Washington DC:

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41001&a=25317

(Home page and links to download UK passport applications):

http://www.britainusa.com

The above links also confirms that your children (if born on or after 1 Jan 1983) are also British citizens by descent and entitled to have their own British passports. However - they do need to have US passports when leaving and re-entering the USA.

I hope this clarifies it for you!
Thankyou for the info.
Just one more question please.
If my children leave the USA on a US passport, can they use a British passport to enter the UK on the other side? My husband has to have a settlement Visa along with his US passport to enter the UK on a permanent basis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.