Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How have you been treated here as a Brit?

How have you been treated here as a Brit?

Old Apr 19th 2014, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How have you been treated here as a Brit?

Originally Posted by Jonion
Ahhhh... given the above scenario I think that may be me then
Just go in a red coat, the smart ones may snigger, the thick ones won't get it.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 7:39 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
Living in New England I love the place as it reminds me of back home. The buildings, scenery and just about everything else. Even the people have been so friendly and generally love anything British (considering half of them have European ancestors...).

But I was talking to one American the other day and he asked me from where I was (because according to him my accent wasn't American) and when I said the UK, his comment was "Oh, I wouldn't want to live there! Good choice you made by coming here"! I didn't know what to make of his comment, but put me off slightly.

But like I said, this was just a one off, and most of the people are very friendly and love anything British, which is one of the reasons why I love New England, but I don't know about the rest of the US.

Which brings me back to the question- how have you been treated here as a Brit?
So rude.
Not that it's happened often, but similar has happened to me.

I've lived and travelled to quite a few places, and some once said "which is the best place? [no pause] America's the best of everywhere"

I said, I wouldn't know, I haven't been everywhere...... have you?

(I also establish if they have ever visited the place they're slagging off for more than 2 days on a coach)

Last edited by Trixie_b; Apr 19th 2014 at 7:42 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 7:49 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

This thread also reminds me of a conversation where someone was slagging off the NHS, having never visiting the UK, never mind experiencing the health care system.

I made sure they were highly criticized for believing the bullsh1t on "talk radio" without any evidence, nor any realistic input.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
This thread also reminds me of a conversation where someone was slagging off the NHS, having never visiting the UK, never mind experiencing the health care system.

I made sure they were highly criticized for believing the bullsh1t on "talk radio" without any evidence, nor any realistic input.
There is a local English 'traitor-type' woman who tells the Americans that the NHS is awful, country overrun with immigrants etc. Somehow that annoys me even more.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 8:53 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We have mostly been really well received here in Texas (once they've determined we're not a "Damn Yank" ).

However, this week my wife was shopping for dresses and in one of the stores got talking to another couple who asked her where she was from. When she said England the man said "Welcome to Texas", and when my wife told him that she had been here a long time he asked if she was a citizen, and when she said yes, he asked her if she paid taxes. Bloody Cheek!! (not anti-British, just anti-immigrant).

The first summer we lived here (1988) we had a great time on July 4th with our small children, going to the town's parade and being invited to the home of one of our neighbors who were having a big family BBQ. However, when we went home the day was spoiled somewhat by a small act of meanness. We had put small crossed flags on our mailbox at the start of the day, a Union Jack and a Stars & Stripes, and someone had cut up the Union Jack into pieces and scattered them over the lawn.

There is always a small minority of asses....
Wonder what would happen if an American couple displayed the Stars and Stripes in their front garden on an estate in the UK? How long would it last?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Wonder what would happen if an American couple displayed the Stars and Stripes in their front garden on an estate in the UK? How long would it last?
Probably for as long as they left it there.

However, try flying the English flag during a World cup and you'll get told to take it down so as not to cause offence.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:09 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Probably for as long as they left it there.

However, try flying the English flag during a World cup and you'll get told to take it down so as not to cause offence.
Probably depends on where you live. I put up an English flag during tournament, no problems. I would have put up an American flag for diplomatic reasons, but my wife doesn't like that kind of thing.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

I did mean in England though, not sure if you realised that.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Not a lot would happen would it? Maybe I've lost touch.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is Christmas outlawed now as well?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Is Christmas outlawed now as well?
Depends who it offends I think.

I believe there are small pockets of inhabitants who still celebrate their own birthdays as well.
But I can't give evidence of such.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 10:16 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Ah no I didn't spot that.

But there were flags all over the place a few world cups ago.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kimilseung
But there were flags all over the place a few world cups ago.
Well not everyone knuckelled under.
In fairness it wasn't everywhere but the last 2 WCs certain councils demanded flags be taken down.
Apparently it was seen as racist.
Can you imagine that in America? Being told you can't fly the Stars and Stripes cos some Johnny Foreigner is upset by it
Old Apr 19th 2014, 11:31 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Well not everyone knuckelled under.
In fairness it wasn't everywhere but the last 2 WCs certain councils demanded flags be taken down.
Apparently it was seen as racist.
Can you imagine that in America? Being told you can't fly the Stars and Stripes cos some Johnny Foreigner is upset by it
Since you mention it, yes.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...n-high-school/
Old Apr 19th 2014, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing right now what I miss about is the 4 day Easter weekend you get back home! Here its just another regular day..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.