Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any British on here who are living in Florida?

Any British on here who are living in Florida?

Old Apr 21st 2014, 6:46 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British on here who are living in Florida?

Originally Posted by WriterChick
THIS CONVERSATION HAPPENS ALL OF THE TIME!!!
But bear in mind being American is an ice breaker, I've noticed this living in Calgary, there are so many British people about that no-one bats an eyelid so it makes it difficult to strike up a conversation with a stranger. In the US everyone would always pick up on my accent and that would start a conversation.

But anyway on the actor conversation, I have this all the time when I'm in the US, so many people don't realize their favourite TV show is shot in Canada and half the actors in it are Canadian. "I like watching so and so in such and such." "Yeah, s/he's Canadian." "REALLY???" "Er yeah, it's actually shot in Vancouver/Toronto." "NO WAY!!!"

Like did you ever watch the credits. Did you not notice the CN Tower or Vancouver Lookout in all the city shots.

Or even worse is when they realize they're not American, but think they're British. Orphan Black being the most recent example.

So to answer your question, move to Palm Beach. If you want to live at ground level at any rate. I dunno when the last time was that you were in Broward but try going to Sawgrass Mills and you will see just how crowded it is now.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Americans are especially 'happy', or especially fake.
They have more possibilities, culturally, and more opportunities, generally, based on the luck of their location of birth - and this makes people more hopeful than those who live their lives without as much access to possibility and opportunity.
More than whom?

Us poor downtrodden Brits?
Old Apr 21st 2014, 6:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Americans are especially 'happy', or especially fake.
I think part of the reason people think that is that everyone lives in close quarters in the UK so people tend to be more reserved in America.

We had a thread about it in the Canadian section and it's even more pronounced here, I met a couple from Alberta when I was in the US and even by American standards they were far more reserved, it was not my imagination. The British may have a stiff upper lip but Canadians have a frozen upper lip, caused I think by spending winter in the basement watching hockey, all their social skills go out the window.

It makes people come across as being "fake" because you really have to chisel away at them to get to their true feelings about things.

Also Americans and Canadians have this bigger tendency to try avoiding responsibility for things which gets up the nose of British people who are used to people being more direct. It's like Americans get embarrassed more easily whereas British people don't give a shit.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute

Sally... more than many people in many other countries.

There are so many countries that simply don't have many opportunities for anyone... There are countries that do not have free, public education for all... only wealthy people can go to school. I don't just mean university - I mean they do not get any education at all.

And, yes, I do believe that Americans believe they have more opportunities than the British people believe they have... Not because it is a fact, but because they are spoon fed the 'Land of Opportunity' slogan from the moment they are born.

There is opportunity in the UK. It is just not the National Slogan, and it is tightly regulated by the class system.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sally... more than many people in many other countries.

There are so many countries that simply don't have many opportunities for anyone... There are countries that do not have free, public education for all... only wealthy people can go to school. I don't just mean university - I mean they do not get any education at all.

And, yes, I do believe that Americans believe they have more opportunities than the British people believe they have... Not because it is a fact, but because they are spoon fed the 'Land of Opportunity' slogan from the moment they are born.

There is opportunity in the UK. It is just not the National Slogan, and it is tightly regulated by the class system.
The only problem with that attitude, and I've come across it quite a bit during my time here, is that it can grate on people of other nationalities, who may not actually be as backward as you think.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 10:14 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Buy Joyce a new lawnmower did you?
I do believe my statement went over every bodies head ... they obviously don't live in florida
Old Apr 21st 2014, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
I do believe my statement went over every bodies head ... they obviously don't live in florida
You were trying to wring karma out of Sue...again...or hobnobs.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 11:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You were trying to wring karma out of Sue...again...or hobnobs.
No ..I was trying to day ..the most important person in a Florida residents life ...

bit nobody knew ...

its your A/C man ..her is a God ....
Old Apr 21st 2014, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
No ..I was trying to day ..the most important person in a Florida residents life ...

bit nobody knew ...

its your A/C man ..her is a God ....
lol - good point.

How are you doing? And has the Rev been around?
Old Apr 21st 2014, 11:19 pm
Ray

lol - good point.

How are you doing? And has the Rev been around?
I mostly sit the corner ... dribbling a lot
and confess all my sins every day ...
its taking a while
Old Apr 21st 2014, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
I mostly sit the corner ... dribbling a lot
and confess all my sins every day ...
its taking a while
It must be like the 1001 Nights.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 12:03 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

The only problem with that attitude, and I've come across it quite a bit during my time here, is that it can grate on people of other nationalities, who may not actually be as backward as you think.
The US is a very jingoistic country but on the other hand Britain has it's own brand of jingoism, which I call: being the world's most opinionated people on subjects they know nothing about. Although Americans do that too, but in the UK it's more homogenous, "right think".

This is the reason Britain had such a big Empire imo, this innate culture of going around the world telling people what they should be doing and thinking.

This is one of the big advantages of living in Canada. Everyone in Canada knows that no-one outside of Canada really gives a crap what we think so people tend to be more laid back and a bit more open to new ideas.

In the US, well, it's the "greatest country in the world" so by definition everything they do is the greatest in the world. I call it "Dick Cheney" syndrome. He actually believes his own propaganda. So when the US does something questionable or bad, by definition it can't be because the US is "the greatest country in the world". So in other words, everything the US does is right. This is really how he convinces himself that waterboarding terrorists was not only justified but the right thing to do.

The British on the other hand have never come to terms with the fact that they have no Empire anymore (or maybe it's just a cultural trait) and go on about things as if people outside the UK give a shit - guess what, they don't. I can't ever recall having a conversation about some sort of international event and anyone saying, "well the British think this". The Russians, the Chinese, the Germans, the Americans, even the Japanese, but not the British.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve_
The US is a very jingoistic country but on the other hand Britain has it's own brand of jingoism, which I call: being the world's most opinionated people on subjects they know nothing about. Although Americans do that too, but in the UK it's more homogenous, "right think".

This is the reason Britain had such a big Empire imo, this innate culture of going around the world telling people what they should be doing and thinking.

This is one of the big advantages of living in Canada. Everyone in Canada knows that no-one outside of Canada really gives a crap what we think so people tend to be more laid back and a bit more open to new ideas.

In the US, well, it's the "greatest country in the world" so by definition everything they do is the greatest in the world. I call it "Dick Cheney" syndrome. He actually believes his own propaganda. So when the US does something questionable or bad, by definition it can't be because the US is "the greatest country in the world". So in other words, everything the US does is right. This is really how he convinces himself that waterboarding terrorists was not only justified but the right thing to do.

The British on the other hand have never come to terms with the fact that they have no Empire anymore (or maybe it's just a cultural trait) and go on about things as if people outside the UK give a shit - guess what, they don't. I can't think I can ever recall having a conversation about some sort of international event and anyone saying, "well the British think this". The Russians, the Chinese, the Germans, the Americans, even the Japanese, but not the British.
Yes, I would agree with you to some extent. Hence this UKIP stuff - we're so great we don't need the johnny foreigners.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 2:29 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

The British on the other hand have never come to terms with the fact that they have no Empire anymore (or maybe it's just a cultural trait) and go on about things as if people outside the UK give a shit - guess what, they don't. I can't ever recall having a conversation about some sort of international event and anyone saying, "well the British think this". The Russians, the Chinese, the Germans, the Americans, even the Japanese, but not the British.
I agree with your last paragraph, but just to defend the British, the loss of power and dismantling of Empire happened so fast it's not surprising that attitudes have barely caught up yet. I was born in 1950, when the UK was obviously in a bad way and nearly bankrupt, but externally much of the Empire was still in place.

Canada is an interesting case. It was a major military power until the end of WWII. Still developing military aircraft until the late 50s. And until the 1930s, Canada was a place British people lived and went out to rule the Empire (soldiers, civil servants etc.). And of course, supplied British Prime Ministers and press barons etc.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

More than whom?

Us poor downtrodden Brits?
Downtrodden? No Fatalistic? yes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.