Reload this Page >

Tell me about Buddhism....

Tell me about Buddhism....

Old May 21st 2012, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

takso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tell me about Buddhism....

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I would agree with you there realestates. Clearly those "Buddhists" are not thinking of others and therefore aren't proper Buddhists I guess.

Takso, what do you think?
I concur with both of you. Most people are Buddhists by namesake only. A true Buddhist does not emphasise on the reliance of amulets or Buddha imagery for protection.

The greatest self-protection that one could generate would be radiating loving-kindness and compassion to all beings at all times.
Old May 22nd 2012, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

What are Universal Laws?

Universal Laws are fundamental laws of mind and spirit. They are all inter-related and operate on all levels: physical, mental and spiritual. They are eternal, universal and absolute. You can rely on these principles to operate inevitably, everywhere, all the time.

The Law of One

The Law of Divine Oneness helps us to understand that we live in a world where everything is connected to everything else. Everything we do, say, think and believe affects others and the universe around us.

The Law of Vibration

This Universal Law states that everything in the Universe moves, vibrates, and travels in circular patterns. Science has discovered that underlying all forms of matter there is an underlying energy of vibration. This is not metaphysical theory but is scientific verifiable fact. Everything in the universe is vibrating, from the atom, the molecule, to a tree or a mountain. There is a vibration in every living thing. The rate of vibration determines its form. Slow vibration manifests as a rock, fast vibration registers as wind, very high vibrations register as sound and music. The variation is endless. Most importantly, thoughts and feelings are vibrations.

The Law of Rhythm

This Universal Law states that everything vibrates and moves to certain rhythms. These rhythms establish seasons, cycles, stages of development, and patterns. Each cycle reflects the regularity of God’s universe. Masters know how to rise above negative parts of a cycle by never getting too excited or allowing negative things to penetrate their consciousness.

The Law of Cause and Effect

This Universal Law states that nothing happens by chance. Every action has a reaction or consequence and we “reap what we have sown.” This Law, like others, is impartial. They work whether you entertain the positive or negative. This makes each of us responsible for the quality of our own thoughts, emotions, lives and relationships. Remember that your choices become your destiny for “like begets like.” Choose wisely.

The Law of Attraction

This Universal Law is “Like attracts Like.” It is a simple principle to understand. Our thoughts, feelings, words, and actions produce energies which, in turn, attract like energies. Negative attract negative and positive attract positive. It is easy to live by default, reacting instead of co-creating. The key to mastering this law is to focus your attention on what you want to attract.

The Law of Gratitude

Be thankful. Count your Blessings. Gratitude is important because it generates an extremely positive vibration. It connects us with God. The grateful mind is constantly fixed upon the best, therefore it will receive the best.

The Law of Compensation

This Universal Law states that for every action there must be a reaction. What goes around comes around. This is readily apparent when applied to blessings and the issue of abundance. Say we give our time freely to a charity or make a generous donation. It might not happen immediately but somewhere down the line we will be compensated for that action. The visible effects of our deeds are given to us in gifts, money, inheritances, friendships, and blessings.

The Law of Increase

This Law states that the spirit of your action multiplies the result. Check your purpose, sincerity and willingness to insure multiplication by this law. The key is application. Apply whatever you want to your thoughts, words and actions. It will grow and return to you as the “fruits” of your efforts.

The Law of Perpetual Transmutation

This Universal Law states that energy never dies it simply transforms. Higher vibrations consume and transform lower ones. Therefore, we have the power to change the conditions in our lives by learning how to utilize our thoughts and emotions (our energy).

The Law of Polarity

This Universal Law states that everything is on a continuum and has an opposite. It states that anything can be split into two wholly opposite characteristics and that each of these polar elements contains the potentiality of the other within its essence. The Yin/Yang symbol is a good example of polarity. The Chinese believe that everything has its masculine (yang) and feminine (yin) principles, and that these are the basis for all creation. Mystics talk about "the whiteness of black" and the "blackness of white," "the soundless sound," etc. Physicists talk about "the wave nature of particles" and "the particle nature of waves," "holes in space," etc. A key phrase to remember is: "Everything contains its opposite.” A practical application of this Law is that we can suppress and transform undesirable thoughts by concentrating on the opposite. This is used often in hypnosis when we use suggestions that replace negative beliefs with positive ones.

The Law of Correspondence

This Universal Law states that the principles or laws of physics that explain the physical world – energy, Light, vibration, and motion – have their corresponding principles in the etheric or universe. In the Emerald Tablet of Hermes expresses this Law as "as above, so below." "The macrocosm is contained in the microcosm."

The Law of Relativity

Relativity is the relationship of all things understood by the person relating to it. It all depends on your perspective. As the viewpoint shifts, the relative relationship also shifts. Or, put simply, if you look in another direction, you have a different view. This law teaches us to put everything into its proper perspective. No matter how bad we perceive our situation to be, there is always someone who is in a worse position. It is all relative. Often when you change your perspective, you change your mind and that may just change your life.

Source : http://www.mindinsync.com/index_files/Page1793.htm

Old May 22nd 2012, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

The Buddha

One who sees the Dhamma sees me.
One who sees me sees the Dhamma.

O monks and wise men, just as a goldsmith would test his gold by burning, cutting and rubbing it, so must you examine my words and accept them, not merely out of reverence for me.

My teaching is not a philosophy. It is the result of direct experience...
My teaching is a means of practice, not something to hold onto or worship.
My teaching is like a raft used to cross the river.
Only a fool would carry the raft around after he had already reached the other shore of liberation.

If you were to follow the Dharma purely out of love for me or because you respect me, I would not accept you as disciple. But if you follow the Dharma because you have yourself experienced its truth, because you understand and act accordingly - only under these conditions have you the right to call yourself a disciple of the Exalted One.

From Old Path, White Clouds by Thich Nath Hanh
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

The Wise Words of Buddha

If a man who enjoys a lesser happiness beholds a greater one, let him leave aside the lesser to gain the greater.

I reached in experience the nirvana which is unborn, unrivalled, secure from attachment, undecaying and unstained. This condition is indeed reached by me which is deep, difficult to see, difficult to understand, tranquil, excellent, beyond the reach of mere logic, subtle, and to be realized only by the wise.

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

There is nothing so disobedient as an undisciplined mind, and there is nothing so obedient as a disciplined mind.

What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: Our life is the creation of our mind.

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.

He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self, and looks on everything with an impartial eye.

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.

The mind is the source of happiness and unhappiness.

As the fletcher whittles and makes straight his arrows, so the master directs his straying thoughts.

To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.

The thought manifests as the word. The word manifests as the deed. The deed develops into habit. And the habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care. And let it spring from love, born out of concern for all beings.

Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what hold you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.

Meditate. Live purely. Be quiet. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine.

Look within, thou art the Buddha.

Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings -- that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.

A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another. If these minds love one another the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden. But if these minds get out of harmony with one another it is like a storm that plays havoc with the garden.

Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world.

The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.

Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think. Suffering follows an evil thought as the wheels of a cart follow the oxen that draws it.

Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.

It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self, and looks on everything with an impartial eye.

The world, indeed, is like a dream and the treasures of the world are an alluring mirage! Like the apparent distances in a picture, things have no reality in themselves, but they are like heat haze.

Our theories of the eternal are as valuable as are those which a chick which has not broken its way through its shell might form of the outside world.

On life's journey faith is nourishment, virtuous deeds are a shelter, wisdom is the light by day and right mindfulness is the protection by night. If a man lives a pure life, nothing can destroy him.

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.

Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned.

Source : http://www.successconsciousness.com/buddha_quotes_1.htm
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:10 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Takso, I haven't followed the link (yet) but Universal Laws seem to pop up all over the place, don't they? Ancient Greece - presumably not Buddhist?

What's your thinking on this? Did Buddhism somehow adopt these principles?
Old May 22nd 2012, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Hi Takso, I haven't followed the link (yet) but Universal Laws seem to pop up all over the place, don't they? Ancient Greece - presumably not Buddhist?

What's your thinking on this? Did Buddhism somehow adopt these principles?
The Buddha himself has mentioned: -

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

So, Buddhism adopts with open attitude towards direct experience and recognition rather than faith system.

“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.” ~Dalai Lama~

"Buddhism does not accept a theory of God, or a creator. According to Buddhism, one's own actions are the creator, ultimately. Some people say that, from a certain angle, Buddhism is not a religion but rather a science of mind. Religion has much involvement with faith. Sometimes it seems that there is quite a distance between a way of thinking based on faith and one entirely based on experiment, remaining skeptical. Unless you find something through investigation, you do not want to accept it as fact.

From one viewpoint, Buddhism is a religion, from another viewpoint Buddhism is a science of mind and not a religion. Buddhism can be a bridge between these two sides. Therefore, with this conviction I try to have closer ties with scientists, mainly in the fields of cosmology, psychology, neurobiology and physics. In these fields there are insights to share, and to a certain extent we can work together." ~Dalai Lama~

"If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change. In my view, science and Buddhism share a search for the truth and for understanding reality. By learning from science about aspects of reality where its understanding may be more advanced, I believe that Buddhism enriches its own worldview." ~Dalai Lama~
Old May 22nd 2012, 9:18 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

The Dalai Lama always talks a lot of sense. I should read some of his books. Any recommendations?
Old May 22nd 2012, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

The Dalai Lama always talks a lot of sense. I should read some of his books. Any recommendations?
Sorry, I can't help you much on the recommendations because I haven't the chance to read any books written by Dalai Lama. Perhaps, you could find more information through the internet source.
Old May 22nd 2012, 3:15 pm

Ok. yup I'll put on my To Do list. Can never work out why so busy in retirement?
Old May 24th 2012, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. yup I'll put on my To Do list. Can never work out why so busy in retirement?
Its the realisation of just how many jobs are required around the house.

When working you just dont have the time to think of all of them. You just do what you can.
Old May 25th 2012, 2:06 pm

There's an element of truth there
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Last edited by takso; Jun 7th 2012 at 12:24 am.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Copyright © 2012 takso
Old Jun 9th 2012, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Copyright © 2012 takso
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.