Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Unlocking Movistar phone ?

Unlocking Movistar phone ?

Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

sueandterry is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Unlocking Movistar phone ?

Does anybody know how to foil Movistar's attempt to prevent me cancelling my contract ??? I need to unlock my Nokia so I can use my Lebara Simcard.Does anybody have the code ? I resent having to pay 80 euros to unlock the phone. I would rather throw it in the bin, and buy a new "unlocked" phone !!! :curse:
Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:10 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Unlocking Movistar phone ?

Not me. I am on the understanding that any phone on contract will only be opened on request after paying the amount it would've cost to be on contract for the full duration. I.e. if you signed a two year contract for 10euro a month and you have only been with them for 9. You need to pay the remaining minimum payments. (15 x 10 = 150 euros) and probably an early cancelation fee. No way round it as you signed the contract. It's a pain in the ass but I had to do it once.
They aren't stoopid when they gives ya dem cheap offers for phones..
It really depends on have you got your moneys worth of free calls/texts or value from the phone and is it worth carrying on with the contract or paying for the cancelation.
Mobile phones give you earache anyway..
Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:11 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Most phones can be unlocked for a small fee at your nearest back street phone shop.

Depending on which Nokia you have? You might be able to DIY, see here> http://unlock.nokiafree.org/
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:58 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sueandterry
Does anybody know how to foil Movistar's attempt to prevent me cancelling my contract ??? I need to unlock my Nokia so I can use my Lebara Simcard.Does anybody have the code ? I resent having to pay 80 euros to unlock the phone. I would rather throw it in the bin, and buy a new "unlocked" phone !!! :curse:
There are any number of web sites where you pay a small fee, enter the IMEI number of the phone and some basic details and, hey presto, they send you an unlock code. (enter something like "phone unlock nokia" in a web search engine).

Note; it has more to do with the phone than which operator you are using.

I would say though, that if you are under contract then simply unlocking it for another operator does not rid you of your contractual obligations.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I would say though, that if you are under contract then simply unlocking it for another operator does not rid you of your contractual obligations.
Exactly.
A contract is just that, a contract.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 9:39 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

A contract for any fixed length of time is technicly illegal. This is in the UK (or at least it used to be) and it's the same over here. OH went through this lately and when back I'll get details off him about this.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
A contract for any fixed length of time is technicly illegal. This is in the UK (or at least it used to be) and it's the same over here. OH went through this lately and when back I'll get details off him about this.
That was true in the past and you maybe right now BUT only if you return the equipment, as in reality you are only renting the phone.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 5:58 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

Is that a general statement or does it only apply to the telecoms industry?

What about fixed length rental contracts? Are you telling me these are illegal?
Old Mar 19th 2010, 9:37 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Really?

Is that a general statement or does it only apply to the telecoms industry?

What about fixed length rental contracts? Are you telling me these are illegal?
ok, got a quick answer about this. It's something to do with they are asking you to stay with their promotion of a phone and not with the company itself. They cannot force you to stay with their company as there are other companies offering the same service....ie. another mobile phone company. This applies to Telefonica, Jazztel, etc as well. You may have to pay a fault to cover the cost of the reduced payment plan or cost of the phone but they cannot force you to stay with their company
Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

any local markets or rastros near you ?? there is usually a stall that will do it, look out for someone selling mobile phone accessories and they will usually have a lap top under the table ...bobs you uncle !!!

I have had a few phones unlocked........even had a movistar unlocked at Romford market once 15 quid I think it cost

Originally Posted by sueandterry
Old Mar 20th 2010, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

You may have to pay a fault to cover the cost of the reduced payment plan or cost of the phone but they cannot force you to stay with their company
Which is what has been said.
The OP wants to keep contract phone, unlock it, cancel contract and not pay anything.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 2:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
The OP wants to keep contract phone, unlock it, cancel contract and not pay anything.
If he gets lippy with them they may just block it and all the unlocking in the world won't work, s`pose he could use it as a paper weight though.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:10 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by jdr
If he gets lippy with them they may just block it and all the unlocking in the world won't work, s`pose he could use it as a paper weight though.
I'm not sure that's possible. They can block the SIM but not the phone as they can't download new firmware over the mobile network (to my knowledge).

Even if they do, you can always reload the firmware yourself (but this is far too much work to be worthwhile).
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain
......even had a movistar unlocked at Romford market once 15 quid I think it cost
You can buy a new open phone for less than that
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:27 am
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
I doubt this will happen. If there are direct debits in a contract they (movistar) will still take the money no matter how they unlock it. They'll get their money one way or the other. If it's a good phone just pay the money. 80 euro's isn't too much. We had to pay over a year and a half worth of contract out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.