Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

moving alberta to nova scotia

moving alberta to nova scotia

Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

MADPUPPIES2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving alberta to nova scotia

Live in alberta, hate the winters and am looking to move to the other side perhaps nova scotia or new foundland. Husband has work elsewhere so no problems there but have children in elementary school and would like to know if anyone else has done the transition and how did they find it. also looking at nova scotia NF, have no idea where to start looking to live, small community, good schools, not too isolated but not big city. Any ideas please, thanks
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving alberta to nova scotia

Hi, we're moving to NS in August. We've already committed to a house about 1/2 hr from Halifax, nr the airport. Can't help much as I'm not there yet but thought I'd help get your thread going! Good luck
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MADPUPPIES2
Live in alberta, hate the winters and am looking to move to the other side perhaps nova scotia or new foundland. Husband has work elsewhere so no problems there but have children in elementary school and would like to know if anyone else has done the transition and how did they find it. also looking at nova scotia NF, have no idea where to start looking to live, small community, good schools, not too isolated but not big city. Any ideas please, thanks
We're moving from Edmonton to Halifax on Saturday, and we have two girls (4 & 5)....
Old Jun 27th 2011, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

MADPUPPIES2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please keep in touch and let me know ,or pm me, would love to know how you get on. Dont know whether it will be this year we move but the thought of another winter feels me with dread. I think the best plan of action is to just get on with it but I will have to sort with hubbie when he gets home. thanks for the replies
Old Jun 27th 2011, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

How do you believe the winters will differ Alberta to NS, or Nfld? Snow is snow isn't it?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
How do you believe the winters will differ Alberta to NS, or Nfld? Snow is snow isn't it?
Yeah, well I'm thinking worse actually! Ever had a metre of snow in one go? NS has
Old Jun 27th 2011, 2:24 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

but im sure NS doesnt have snow on the ground from OCT-APR..plus there are mild interludes between snowstorms..not 6 months of freezing or below
Old Jun 27th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the same boat as you, I miss the coast, feel isolated here (as in a big city in the middle of nowhere), but the main factor is the long winter and short summer. I have been here 3 years now and have not really experianced a fall or spring. Everybody said this winter was really long, my first year here I was watching the D Day celebrations on TV in Europe and it was still snowing in Calgary- date 6th June.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
but im sure NS doesnt have snow on the ground from OCT-APR..plus there are mild interludes between snowstorms..not 6 months of freezing or below
To be fair, Edmonton doesnt have snow on the ground from October to April either.
I've been here for 3 winters now, and there wasnt snow until December in any of those.
October 2010, from memory, was actually quite warm.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:03 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I won't get into where is better as I have not been to Nova Scotia.

So I'll just provide a link to the Weather Winners website and people can look for them selves and compare.

The link is to Calgary but to see other locations cities just click on the "Change Cities" button upper right.

http://calgary.weatherstats.ca/winners.html?1

For Nova Scotia you can choose between Greenwood, Halifax, Kentville, Sydney, Truro and Yarmouth.

For Alberta you can choose between Banff, Calgary, Cold Lake, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie, Jasper, Lethbridge, Lloydminster, Medicine Hat and Red Deer.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:32 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
To be fair, Edmonton doesnt have snow on the ground from October to April either.
I've been here for 3 winters now, and there wasnt snow until December in any of those.
thats not true november was particularly cold and snowy last year.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
thats not true november was particularly cold and snowy last year.
There were some flurries towards the end of November, true, but you're saying "snow on the ground from october". That's simply not true in any of the last 3 years I've been here. Last year, it was quite warm through most of October. The first half of November was nice also.

Edmonton winters are bad enough- there's no need to exaggerate them!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:13 pm
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by jericho
There were some flurries towards the end of November, true, but you're saying "snow on the ground from october". That's simply not true in any of the last 3 years I've been here. Last year, it was quite warm through most of October. The first half of November was nice also.

Edmonton winters are bad enough- there's no need to exaggerate them!
you joking rite..i work in construction where my sites track the weather daily and days lost to weather..we had a major snowfall that deposited over 20cms on 15/16th November and another 15 cms a week later and temperaures of -34c on 24th..so hardly flurries..and we had snow and cold from 22-27th October as well thank you very much
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:45 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Choosing a location to move to, soley because of the weather is a rather one dimensional view of life IMHO. For the OP - you say your husband works away so work is not a consideration. Presumably though access to an airport and flight connections might be? Something to consider when you think about moving to a more rural part of NS or even Newfoundland. (That's all one word not two btw).

Newfoundland is a wonderful place but not for all. Fantastic ocean vistas, friendly locals, no extremes of hot and cold, (relatively) affordable housing - more expensive than NS though. It's also isolated and expensive to travel to and from, and yes, the weather can be a challenge. This winter we had snow between end of Jan and end of March. 3 metres of more of it, half of which arrived in a 10 day period. One can deal with that but a June that has so far had 21 straight days of rain and fog in St. John's with an average temp of 11C is beginning to even annoy the locals.

As to areas to live - around St. John's would be fine as it is by no means a big city. West Coast Nfld around Cornerbrook is gorgeous but thats a much smaller town.

Visiting before moving - to either NS or Nfld, is to be recommended.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

As the others have said, winters in NS and Nfdl are just as long and bad as elsewhere in Canada. We've been here almost 6 years now and have had snow on the ground from November to April on quite a number of occassions. This year it's been made worse with 3 months of non-stop rain and fog from April to June. The temperature on Saturday only reached 12 deg.
Apart from Halifax in NS, you are not going to find big cities, most of the other towns are small, in rural areas, long distances in between. Cost of living in NS is also higher than other provinces if you take into account taxation, fuel etc. Housing outside Halifax is generally cheaper, mainly because people are leaving the smaller communities to go where there is work. The majority of expat friends we've made here seem to cope for about 2-3 years then boredom sets in and they look to move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.