Media Moves in the UAE

Old Apr 15th 2014, 10:29 am
Just Joined

SupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant future
Default Media Moves in the UAE

Hi,

Me and my partner (engaged, will get married next year) both work in the UK and are looking to move to UAE, preferably Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

I am Bangladeshi but have been born and raised in the UK and have British passport. I have studied upto Masters level in Video Production, where I graduated with a First Class Distinction. I have also been working as a Promo Producer for the last two years, creating promos and trailers for over 15 channels that air on Sky TV.

My girlfriend has permanent residency in the UK but has a Malaysian passport. She too educated in the UK (again, she has First Class Distinction in MA Marketing and Management) and also works in the same company as me but she does Sponsorship and Promotional work.

We both desperately want to move to Dubai or Abu Dhabi but searching for jobs from the UK seems near on impossible. We are quite niche due to the kind of work we do and my uncle from Dubai gave me a few contacts at OSN, but as soon as they find out I'm not arab, they stop emailing me back. My girlfriend has also been applying to all sorts of marketing jobs in Dubai but no luck. We usually have success finding jobs here in the UK but UAE seems to not value our skills at all.

So my question is, would it be better for us to move to UAE and start looking once we are there? Maybe go into Media City and see what is available? It would be a headache as we would have to get separate accommodation but we are willing to do whatever it takes to move there because we want to be in a muslim country that still is good for our careers and is in between our families homes (UK and Malaysia).

We thought that our UK education at masters level and 3 years experience in broadcast sector would put us in good stead but obviously we were mistaken.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Media Moves in the UAE

Let us be frank - your ethnicity is a handicap. UAE is not renowned for "Equal Opportunities". It might be easier if you had a few years serious experience in the UK.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 11:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Forget just turning up and knocking on doors asking for a job. That won't work. Media here is quite insular so you need to get to know people and who you want to work for. I suggest trying to make some contacts and looking for jobs that way.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 11:41 am
Just Joined

SupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by scot47
Let us be frank - your ethnicity is a handicap. UAE is not renowned for "Equal Opportunities". It might be easier if you had a few years serious experience in the UK.
Thanks for replying. What do you mean by serious experience? Do you mean better companies or more years? Cheers
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

More than two years !
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

I have more than 2 years experience. I have been working in my current company for 2 years and 2 months but have worked two years prior to that in other companies so I really have about 4 years experience.

We are just feeling a little bummed right now as it seems so difficult to even get considered to a position. I went to Dubai in January 2014 and saw some of the promo work at OSN, which is pretty similar to what I currently do.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe you should look for an opportunity to use your Bengali Language skills ?
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Maybe you should look for an opportunity to use your Bengali Language skills ?
Haha it's a pointless skill to have plus I can't really speak it.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So you are condemned to live in Londonistan !
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

So you are condemned to live in Londonistan !
Maybe I am not getting the sarcasm due to this conversation being in text format but you do come across quite rude.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:01 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SupaRubz
I have more than 2 years experience. I have been working in my current company for 2 years and 2 months but have worked two years prior to that in other companies so I really have about 4 years experience.

We are just feeling a little bummed right now as it seems so difficult to even get considered to a position. I went to Dubai in January 2014 and saw some of the promo work at OSN, which is pretty similar to what I currently do.
4 years experience sounds too little for any kind of senior position regardless of qualifications. You'll probably need 10 plus.
For more junior roles or less managerial you are competing against nationalities who will accept lower pay. Regardless of how good your education is why would an employer pay for one when they can get three at the same rate. Who will invariably work like dogs without much complaint.
Unfortunately also your ethnicity is an issue despite nationality.

I don't understand the reasoning of wanting to live in a Muslim country and then complaining that you will need separate accommodation. Seems contradictory.

Last edited by weasel decentral; Apr 23rd 2014 at 8:04 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
4 years experience sounds too little for any kind of senior position regardless of qualifications. You'll probably need 10 plus.
For more junior roles or less managerial you are competing against nationalities who will accept lower pay. Regardless of how good your education is why would an employer pay for one when they can get three at the same rate. Who will invariably work like dogs without much complaint.
Unfortunately also your ethnicity is an issue despite nationality.

I don't understand the reasoning of wanting to live in a Muslim country and then complaining that you will need separate accommodation. Seems contradictory.
Firstly, thank you for the response, it is much appreciated.

That's a fair point I guess. Although I am not looking to get into a managerial position, I am looking to land a job somewhere in the middle. I definitely don't have the experience to have a managerial post, not this early in my career. I guess having to compete against locals who would be willing to work on lower wages probably has a lot to do with it.

The living seperately thing will not be an issue come next April when I plan to be married. I want to move to a muslim country because of various reasons, a big one being able to eat halal food Also, it is the middle point between my family (who live in England) and may finace's family (who live in Malaysia) so it's kind of ideal for us. I guess I'll just keep applying and hope for the best.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You insist on observing the dietary rules but ignore the ones on sexual morality ? Very convenient.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:55 am
Just Joined

You insist on observing the dietary rules but ignore the ones on sexual morality ? Very convenient.
What are you talking about? Who says me and my girlfriend have sex? Don't jump to assumptions.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do not really want to conversate with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.