Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What made you want to move to the USA?

What made you want to move to the USA?

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:49 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you want to move to the USA?

Originally Posted by usadreamer
What do you like most about the USA that made you want to make the move?
To get a good balance, you could post in the MBTTUK section and ask what made people leave the USA.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:51 am
Just Joined

usadreamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RICH
You didn't mention the most obvious, and salient point -the women (or men-your choice, nowadays)
well, my girlfriends training to become a nurse, Im in med school training to become a doctor, so we're hoping when the time comes that we want to make the move we won't have too much trouble finding work over there.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

well, my girlfriends training to become a nurse, Im in med school training to become a doctor, so we're hoping when the time comes that we want to make the move we won't have too much trouble finding work over there.
You will still need an employer to sponsor you to get you a visa, so a perusal of the Pulaski's ways part of the USA Wiki on the blue bar would be very useful, also remember that all of these things are liable to change at the whim of the US government.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

To add to what Mikelinc's said, don't forget that if you go over on a H-1B visa, your gf (well, she'd have to be your wife to accompany you on your visa app) would only get a H4 visa, and wouldn't be able to work on that.

Good luck.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
To add to what Mikelinc's said, don't forget that if you go over on a H-1B visa, your gf (well, she'd have to be your wife to accompany you on your visa app) would only get a H4 visa, and wouldn't be able to work on that.

Good luck.
Thanks for the help, I still have a lot of research to do into the world of visas
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Where can I get a pair of those rose-tinted spectacles you're wearing?

They obviously don't see the bad side of the US which, to be fair, no-one does when they come here on holiday!

Not everyone can live in hotels and eat out every day, and fill the rest of the time sight-seeing and not getting sick (or, hopefully, mugged or shot!).
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Where can I get a pair of those rose-tinted spectacles you're wearing?

They obviously don't see the bad side of the US which, to be fair, no-one does when they come here on holiday!

Not everyone can live in hotels and eat out every day, and fill the rest of the time sight-seeing and not getting sick (or, hopefully, mugged or shot!).
Haha I totally understand what you're saying, and I have seen the bad sides of both the US (the dodgy side of LA, Barstow ect.) and the UK (I live in east London, not the nicest of places). But weighing up the potential of living in both, the US gives us more opportunities and most importantly a greater quality of life.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

cedros699 is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha I totally understand what you're saying, and I have seen the bad sides of both the US (the dodgy side of LA, Barstow ect.) and the UK (I live in east London, not the nicest of places). But weighing up the potential of living in both, the US gives us more opportunities and most importantly a greater quality of life.
You are correct, if you have a good job and/or money, it's a great place to live under the sun.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:00 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where in the eastern parts of London, but you can get a train to places like Frinton, Clacton and Walton-on-the-Naze. I doubt if you can do that from LA or Barstow (wherever that is.)
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to be a doctor over here it might be better to qualify in the US.

There is some kind of scheme for residency for overseas doctors in US hospitals, I don't know much about it but I think that's how member 'notshipman' is coming over.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

" the US gives us more opportunities and most importantly a greater quality of life."

But that's not necessarily the case
It just depends how you measure quality of life.

Have a gander.

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn....ality-of-life/
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I'd encourage you to listen to this interview with 2 doctors (one a professor) all the way through:

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/17/304141...-career-change

then for "(un)fair and (un)balanced" ¿ ? ;-)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...rofession.html

Last edited by MMcD; Apr 23rd 2014 at 6:48 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, new here, Im currently 19 and just started university, after I'm done with education (It'll take 7 years of courses to get qualified into the profession Im going into) Im planing to look for work in the US and hopefully one day make a permanent move there.

Im interested in knowing what motivated you fellow brits to want to move to the USA?
I've been a lucky kid as my parents have been taking me on holiday each year to west coast US and I've grown to love it. Just thought I'd share some of the reasons I want to spend my life there:

- Landscape: Massive variety of landscapes you get over there that you can't find in boring old England, mountains, forests, deserts. Absolutely stunning national parks such as Yosemite and Grand Canyon. Massive variety all contained within one country! Would rather go on a road trip to the Grand Canyon than Cornwall any day. Agreed, but I'd kill to be able to cycle or walk along a footpath in the English landscape right now.

- Cities: Amazing cities all with different vibes, Vegas and LA are my personal favorites.Some cities are great (I wouldn't count those two) but the real America for me is in the small towns, and the spaces inbetween.

- Space: Just the sheer amount of space there is compared to the UK, everything is spread out, the roads are wider, nothing like the feel you get in a british suburb. Space makes me feel free! Yup

- People: Everyone I've come into contact with in the US is extremely welcoming and friendly, may have just been because Im a brit but in the californian towns I have visited they have a real strong sense of community.That's California for you - it'll drive you nuts in good time.

- Everything is bigger and better!: I know its one of the trademarks of america that everything is super sized but I love it! You can get a much larger and more grand house in a US suburb than you can for the same price in the UK, in general everything is cheaper. I love the big arse suvs they drive, the stores, american diners, pretty much love the american lifestyle And then you realise that the amount of resources you are consuming are shameful.

-Weather: California in particular has a certain glow about it I can't describe, everything is brighter and more beautiful in the sun. And some of the extreme weather they can get seems exciting compared to the endless light drizzle of rain you get here.Agreed. But you still can't beat a summer's day in the English countryside, pint of beer in a beer garden. You'll miss that kind of thing once you've been here a while.

What do you like most about the USA that made you want to make the move?
It was just an adventure. Could have gone anywhere. The novelty has worn off.

By the way, as well as researching visas, you should check into whether your Uk qualifications will mean anything here. For most professions, including mine, they were almost worthless, and you'll have to start again over here.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyman

By the way, as well as researching visas, you should check into whether your Uk qualifications will mean anything here. For most professions, including mine, they were almost worthless, and you'll have to start again over here.
Medicine is certainly not straightforward.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

OP and girlfriend may have an advantage - depending on what branch of Medicine they choose to specialize in.

Seems, for instance, GP's are fast becoming an endangered species . And now with the ACA, plus increasingly onerous insurance co. paperwork to dissuade Med students here from entering that (lower paid) field of medicine - there's going to be an ever-widening gap to fill.

Last edited by MMcD; Apr 23rd 2014 at 7:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.