Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Bemused in Siem Riep, Cambodia

Bemused in Siem Riep, Cambodia

Old Dec 12th 2013, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bemused in Siem Riep, Cambodia

Something that bemused me whilst on holiday in Siem Riep:

I was in a bar on Pub Street, around Christmas time 2011. I was drinking a tiger beer and watching a live show and I saw this western looking man come in accompanied by a Cambodian looking girl but dressed western. The man had longish dark hair and those thick rimmed glasses. He must of been American or Canadian, and his wife or girlfriend must certainly be an ex-pat probably the child of a refugee from the Pol Pot era.

So this guy walks to the bar and doesn't order a drink but starts talking Cambodian to the bar staff. The speech was fluid, and he even had the body language down. The expressions on the bar staff faces was priceless. They all gathered around completely bemused, smiling and laughing.

And there I was, sat there with a copy of Lonely Planet and a tiger beer, I felt so jealous and impressed at the same time.