Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Young Male moving to Vietnam

Young Male moving to Vietnam

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

VVilliam is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Young Male moving to Vietnam

Hi, this is my first post on this site, (sorry in advance for my bad spelling and puctuation),

im looking for some advice really, i am a 22 year old male from the UK, and it is my life ambition to move to Vietnam. I am in love with its people, Culture, Climate, Way of life, well im in love with everything about it. im just looking for some advice on how to get started with my dream. as in how much GBP should i save in order to tide me over until i get a job?, what should i take with me? i know the only way to permantly live there is to marry a local. just some all around advice would be nice.

thank you
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:03 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young Male moving to Vietnam

Hi, just to say welcome to the forum . I'm not in Vietnam so cannot help you. Hopefully someone will give you some answers on here shortly.

What sort of work skills do you have? How do you plan on finding a job?
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the Welcome

I have excellent I.T Skills, Excelelnt Customer Service Skills, Excellent Horticulture Skills.. so a vast array really, and im up for doing any job i can find really - i am currently studieing Vietnamiese (again sorry for the spelling).
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:36 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VVilliam
Thank you for the Welcome

I have excellent I.T Skills, Excelelnt Customer Service Skills, Excellent Horticulture Skills.. so a vast array really, and im up for doing any job i can find really - i am currently studieing Vietnamiese (again sorry for the spelling).
You have skills, but do you have any qualifications on paper.. that could be more important.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

i have the I.T and Customer Service's on paper but not Horticulture - just a reference from a well respected master of horticulture here in the uk, but i figure that wont make a diffrence.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You really need to look at this site to find out how to get a work permit for Vietnam.

http://www.internations.org/vietnam-...-for-vietnam-2
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

bondiboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Ive spent the last 5 years in Vietnam before returning home 2 months ago.
The main source of work for Non professionals - those who have been sent there by their foreign companies - tends to be English Teaching. All other kind of work is extremely hard to find for most ppl.

You may want to consider a TEFL or CELTA. There are some schools in HCMC who turn a blind eye to the lack of degree - if you have one, sweet - & will pay you "under the table" about $15-17 per hour. However you will only work 6-7 months of the year due to holidays, National holidays & exam times.
The longer you are there the more contacts you will make like anywhere & opportunities will open to you.

Learning the lingo is the very best thing you can do as the vast majority of ppl I know just get by but I do know 2 ppl who have managed to master it & that puts them at a great advantage over others when it comes to work.
HCMC is expensive & many young Westerners choose to live in the Backpacker Area of HCMC (Buivien St in Pham ngu lao) where they can get a room in a cheap hotel for $300pm & be around other young ppl & the backpacker crowd. Beware of hookers, who like to surround young men & pickpocket their valuables whilst coming onto them!

Dist 2 & 7 are the main expat areas but are both 15 mins on a bike from the centre of Dist 1. A motorbike will cost you $60-80 per month. However break it & you pay for it!!

Hope all this helps.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your response, that has been most helpful. the only problem im having at the moment is my nerves. any advice on how to stop paniking? and just get on the plane?
Old Aug 9th 2013, 4:45 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

you'll probably get there and in a few weeks wonder what you were worrying about.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

steve75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VVilliam
Hi, this is my first post on this site, (sorry in advance for my bad spelling and puctuation),

im looking for some advice really, i am a 22 year old male from the UK, and it is my life ambition to move to Vietnam. I am in love with its people, Culture, Climate, Way of life, well im in love with everything about it. im just looking for some advice on how to get started with my dream. as in how much GBP should i save in order to tide me over until i get a job?, what should i take with me? i know the only way to permantly live there is to marry a local. just some all around advice would be nice.

thank you
Hi drop me a mail.

Steve