Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane

Moving to Brisbane

Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane

Originally Posted by Hazeyfantazey
Thanks for all the advice guys... Lots to consider.

Re Wi Fi.... Yes it is everywhere. Which is precisely why kids should be given a break from it at school. It is microwave radiation mixed with High frequency radio waves. Who knows what damage they will do in the long term.

France, Germany, Russia and Israel have banned Wi Fi in schools and lots of schools in England and Scandinavian countries have also chosen cabled internet only.

Most people don't think about it. But the research ( coming out of Sweden manly is very concerning)

It just drives me crazy that Australia are rolling it out everywhere. When it hasn't been proven totally safe. And schools should be protected as kids are more vulnerable to radiation than we are.

Anyway. I'm looking at Manly West currently. The school seems good too. No Wi Fi. Lol
Maybe consider homeschooling them? Then they wouldn't be at risk if you don't have wi fi at home.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 12:19 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 2nd 2014, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

rohit1_sharma is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

How is the ICT Job Market in Brisbane? Also compared to big cities like Sydney and Melbourne, how is the cost of living?
Old May 3rd 2014, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

When it hasn't been proven totally safe. And schools should be protected as kids are more vulnerable to radiation than we are.
A discussion about WiFi radiation safety in Australia always cracks me up.

In Australia, there's this massive source of extremely damaging radiation in the sky, called 'The Sun'. It's virtually GUARANTEED to give you cancer if you get exposed too much.

1 out of every 15 males in Australia develop melanoma (the cancer you get from exposure to radiation from the sun). More than 1500 Australians die from melanoma each year.

It's only human to be afraid of the hocus-pocus (WiFi/radio waves) yet feel safe about Mother Nature (sunshine).

If radio/cell phone/WiFi radiation were as damaging as sunshine, there would be a truly massive increase in cancer cases and the medical profession would be up in arms.
Old May 4th 2014, 3:36 am
Just Joined

Hazeyfantazey is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a truly massive increase in cancer cases! It's at what they like to call epidemic proportions. At the end of the way there is no definitive proof either way to say if exposure to man made radiation causes long term harm. There just isn't no matter what some people might say. There is strong research both for and against. But that is all it is. Research not proof. My point is that whilst the jury is still out. People should air on the side of caution. Especially where children are concerned. And if countries like Israel, Germany France and Russia have gathered enough evidence to ban WiFi in there schools. It has to make you stop and think. Governments don't make decisions like that on a win. And these countries have some of the best scientists on the world. Children are very vulnerable to EMR's. so they should be given a break from it. Instead they are more than likely exposed at home. And then 5 days a week for 6 hrs a day. It is so unnecessary. When cabled Internet is all you really need at school.
Old May 4th 2014, 11:23 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There is a truly massive increase in cancer cases! It's at what they like to call epidemic proportions. At the end of the way there is no definitive proof either way to say if exposure to man made radiation causes long term harm. There just isn't no matter what some people might say. There is strong research both for and against. But that is all it is. Research not proof. My point is that whilst the jury is still out. People should air on the side of caution. Especially where children are concerned. And if countries like Israel, Germany France and Russia have gathered enough evidence to ban WiFi in there schools. It has to make you stop and think. Governments don't make decisions like that on a win. And these countries have some of the best scientists on the world. Children are very vulnerable to EMR's. so they should be given a break from it. Instead they are more than likely exposed at home. And then 5 days a week for 6 hrs a day. It is so unnecessary. When cabled Internet is all you really need at school.
Then home-school them, like I said before! But make sure you also monitor them 24/7 and don't allow them near anything that could make them ill......
Old May 4th 2014, 11:33 am
Just Joined

There is no need to be sarcastic. I am merley expressing a concern. In 10 or 20 years time. Who is to say what the effects may be. Some times we just feel strongly about certain things. But we all make choices in our lives to minimise the dangers. Of course we can't live in a danger free world. But unnecessary risk seems like a no brainer to me. After all what choice do the kids have in all this. Nobody even asks the parents permission. I really hope my concerns are unwarranted. But so many other countries do not think so.
Old May 4th 2014, 11:37 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont some of those countries just discourage its use in schools rather than having banned it I mean?
Old May 4th 2014, 11:41 am
Home and Happy

There is no need to be sarcastic. I am merley expressing a concern. In 10 or 20 years time. Who is to say what the effects may be. Some times we just feel strongly about certain things. But we all make choices in our lives to minimise the dangers. Of course we can't live in a danger free world. But unnecessary risk seems like a no brainer to me. After all what choice do the kids have in all this. Nobody even asks the parents permission. I really hope my concerns are unwarranted. But so many other countries do not think so.
I'm actually not being sarcastic! I'm just thinking that if I had kids, and I had serious concerns about their welfare, thats what I would be doing.
I see it as no different from the fact that I don't have kids because I would not want to risk a child suffering the genetic health issues I live with.
Old May 4th 2014, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Some Scandinavia countries discourage it. But France, Israel and Russia have banned Wi Fi in schools. Germany discourage some schools in the UK have also banned it's use. And the number is schools around the world that are now considering banning it are growing. It's a very interesting topic I find.
Old May 4th 2014, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

f4fred is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone,

I am also moving to Brisbane in June. My office happens to be situated in Brisbane CBD.

In Melbourne, I work in the CBD and live in Brunswick East that is neither much far from CBD but nor very close.

Can someone suggest which Brisbane suburbs are somehow similar to Lygon St. Brunswick?

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,
Fred, F.
Old May 5th 2014, 1:47 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

If you read ALL the articles both pro and con and then dissect the proof it comes as completely nonsensical. All of the cons are based on assumptions and concerns, not proof or evidence. I obviously discarded any evidence from those companies/entities which would look to profit from its existence for the pros and also those which were from complete nut job groups for the cons (and there are a few!! using scaremongering for no reason other than to be heard!).
Old May 5th 2014, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fish.01
Re: WHO classifying as carcinogen

The WHO haven't classified WIFI (low level EMR) as a carcinogen. In fact they say there is no evidence that it is. It's a common misreading of their statement they made. They put EMR's in the group of things that are open to further study so funding can be allocated...grouped with things like coffee.

From WHO statement: "...Current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low level electromagnetic fields."

Source: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4273

Re: microwave

See the chart in post above for the difference in power between WiFi and microwaves. Wifi is less powerful than radio which we have had for 100 years.

Source: From: https://www.techblog.co.nz/632-Wifia...entialapproach

Re: blood brain study:

"Dr. Havas cites one such study that she says showed mobile phone signals break down the blood brain barrier. In fact, this study was a single in-vitro (petri dish) experiment, and the authors only hypothesized that one potential effect might be to increase the blood brain barrier permeability. In other words, nobody has ever observed such an effect. (my emphasis)

Source:http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4273

Interesting topic, but a bit of a derailing of your thread...maybe we should move it if you have more general Brisbane school stuff to ask ?

Nice to see some reasoned comments on this topic as opposed to some miss quotes to try and support the latest fad. When people start to talk about radiation they forget that they possibly get more from their granite top in the kitchen than they get really get exposed to in the real World.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

jboz is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to Manly State Primary - followed on by Cannon Hill Anglican College, i turned out okay!! I also lived in Manly, its a lovely area especially close to the water front! Close to Birkdale for the English chippy (Chumley Warners) and the pom shop (Britain on the Bayside) huge Brit community there!!
Old May 7th 2014, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a truly massive increase in cancer cases! It's at what they like to call epidemic proportions.
WiFi was only introduced in the early 2000s. Are you saying there's been a massive increase in cancer since then?

Cancer cases in developed countries have been trending downwards for the last 20 years, mainly as a result of decreased smoking rates.

And yes, there's been a big increase in cancer for developing countries. Improved access to modern medicine means that people there are now finally getting old enough to develop cancer. Even a decade ago, most people in developing countries would not live long enough to see their grandchildren,

There's no scientific evidence for cancer risk from WiFi or cell phones. If you are truly concerned with your child's cancer risk, you should know that over 40% of cancers can be prevented by lifestyle changes.

- don't smoke
- don't be obese
- don't consume alcohol
- eat healthy, be active
- don't get HPV
- protect against the sun
- don't be in an occupation involving dangerous chemicals

That's right, follow these simple rules and you cut your chance of getting cancer by 40%. Banning WiFi would cut it by... approximately 0%