Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the US with British husband

Moving back to the US with British husband

Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the US with British husband

You are a US citizen, you are required to file tax returns regardless of your income. I would advise you do so now.

If you have savings of 3X the required level of support for the I864 then you can use those, if not you will need a joint sponsor. Someone in the US, who is a USC or PR, and who earns enough to support the intending immigrant. This is a formal contract with the US Government agreeing to repay any monies paid to the immigrant by the state.

Last edited by civilservant; Mar 29th 2013 at 7:55 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AubreyBullock
thank you. I know, we were going through MY visa process when they changed the rules last year. was a nightmare. but i have my residence permit now. so i can work and save money for this visa process.
Your Residence Permit will lapse if you leave the UK for 2 years or more.

The only way for YOU to be able to return to the UK (if you decide to do so after 2 years) would be to re-apply again for spouse visa.

Just mentioning this, since people think that getting a residency permit allows them to come and go as they please. It does not. Only UK citizenship allows you to leave for any length of time and then return.

So, if you think you might return, best to get UK citizenship

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Mar 29th 2013 at 8:17 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Someone in the US, who is a USC or PR, and who earns enough to support the intending immigrant. This is a formal contract with the US Government agreeing to repay any monies paid to the immigrant by the state.
They also have to be in the US and earning enough to support their household, plus the immigrant.

The contract also is only exhausted when the immigrant either:
-Becomes a US citizen
-Works 40 qualifying quarters, so about 10 years,
-Dies
-Gives up LPR status and leaves the US

A divorce does not relinquish the responsibilities, so a co-sponsor should be aware of what they are getting into.

This co-sponsor, on the flip side, is also no longer available for people bringing a spouse into the UK any more.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

How long after we get the CR-1/IR-1 visa do we need to move?
To clarify, you won't be getting a visa... your husband will. I understand that you probably know that... but it helps to be specific - especially for people who might be even newer to the process than you are.

Ian
Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You are a US citizen, you are required to file tax returns regardless of your income.
True... but only if her income was above the IRS threshold for filing.

Ian
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

AubreyBullock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
True... but only if her income was above the IRS threshold for filing.

Ian
I have not earned ANY money whatsoever for over a year... do i still need to file? I had my mother back in the US ask her tax guy and he made it seem like I didn't need to (I made $00.00 this past year and i DID file my taxes the year before when I had worked before I came to the UK). Has anyone else heard different? if I need to file taxes if I haven't earned a cent.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I have not earned ANY money whatsoever for over a year... do i still need to file? I had my mother back in the US ask her tax guy and he made it seem like I didn't need to (I made $00.00 this past year and i DID file my taxes the year before when I had worked before I came to the UK). Has anyone else heard different? if I need to file taxes if I haven't earned a cent.
If your income is above a certain threshold as defied in the following link, you need to file a tax return. Although tax returns for the previous three years need to be provided by the sponsor (you), a letter stating that you didn't earn above the defined threshold to file a return.

http://www.smartmoney.com/taxes/inco...-return-20713/

Now the bad news. Americans working overseas also need to file a US tax return if above the threshold. However usually no tax is due since foreign tax credits (form 1116 along with form 1040 or 1040 EZ) can be used to offset any US taxes owed. If you work outside the US for a complete fiscal year, it is a little easier to file a tax return since there is a $92,000 exclusion on income before foreign tax credits need to be used.

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1116.pdf

Last edited by Michael; Mar 30th 2013 at 1:07 am.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 2:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If your income was zero, you do not need to file a US tax return.

Just make sure to read the I-864 instructions carefully to see your options for sponsoring your husband financially.

Rene
Old Mar 30th 2013, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

I have not earned ANY money whatsoever for over a year...
Well then, you fall well below the IRS threshold for filling.

Ian