Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Becoming "Landed" PR - Combining with a significant shopping trip to US

Becoming "Landed" PR - Combining with a significant shopping trip to US

Old May 2nd 2012, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

dailongfoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Becoming "Landed" PR - Combining with a significant shopping trip to US

I've been staying with my Canadian wife in Toronto waiting for my PR paperwork to be approved..... which has just happened.

Now I've been told than most things are cheaper in US..... Can anyone help answer the following questions: -

1) If I buy a new-ish truck, trailer and possibly a snowblowerin the States, are they going to be significantly cheaper than in Canada? I could be spending uo to US$50,000

2) When I apply for my PR at the Canadian border on my return trip, will I have to pay the 5% import tax, or is it waived because I'm moving my stuff to Canada?

Note that I've sold most of my possessions, so have nothing to bring into Canada from the UK.

Thanks in advance,
Dai
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Becoming "Landed" PR - Combining with a significant shopping trip to US

Originally Posted by dailongfoot
I've been staying with my Canadian wife in Toronto waiting for my PR paperwork to be approved..... which has just happened.

Now I've been told than most things are cheaper in US..... Can anyone help answer the following questions: -

1) If I buy a new-ish truck, trailer and possibly a snowblowerin the States, are they going to be significantly cheaper than in Canada? I could be spending uo to US$50,000

2) When I apply for my PR at the Canadian border on my return trip, will I have to pay the 5% import tax, or is it waived because I'm moving my stuff to Canada?

Note that I've sold most of my possessions, so have nothing to bring into Canada from the UK.

Thanks in advance,
Dai
You will pay all the regular taxes at the border. You have to have owned and used goods for a period of time before landing (6 months or one year?) to import them tax-free as personal possessions.
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Becoming "Landed" PR - Combining with a significant shopping trip to US

Welcome to BE.

The "Goods to follow" thing does not apply to new stuff Im afraid, so you would get the same import taxes as anyone else.

Its probably cheaper, there are many online articles describing how to cross border shop for cars etc.
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:59 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I1) If I buy a new-ish truck, trailer and possibly a snowblowerin the States, are they going to be significantly cheaper than in Canada? I could be spending uo to US$50,000
They probably will be significantly cheaper, you'll have to do research on the web but they will be subject to duty(unless NAFTA applies)/HST coming back.

Have to be listed on your B4 to be exempt, and even returning residents are subject to a $10,000 limit on vehicles.

Vehicle imports are subject to various rules, have a look at www.riv.ca
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:18 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance,
Dai
Tax may well be more than 5%, the GST is 5%, duty can be 20% or more on some things, less on others, depending on country of manufacture. On vehicles there is also importation paperwork to do. You don't just show up at the border, pay the tax on off you go. Read the links you've been given on importing vehicles. Buying used vehicles in Canada is buyer beware, even from a dealer, the risk can be greater buying out of the country, US warranty does not apply in Canada on many things, so if it goes wrong, you have to take it back to the US to get fixed.
Old May 2nd 2012, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Read this link regarding your personal goods and restrictions
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-2-1-eng.pdf

Read this one regarding importation of vehicles
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5048-eng.html
or this one
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...9-12-1-eng.pdf
Old May 3rd 2012, 11:41 am
Just Joined

dailongfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies, they've been very informative.