Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old Mar 30th 2011, 5:59 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Sent mine in for renewal the 4th March certified mail. According to USPS Washington received it the 7th but when I received the proof of delivery card back it had the 16th as the received date Anyway I checked my CC today and there is a pending charge as of the 29th. All being well and what seems to be the consensus on BE, I should be seeing my passport in 7 to 10 days Hope this helps anyone anxiously waiting. I will update when received.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:25 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering why they don't have an expedited option like they do for US passports. I had mine expedited and the whole turnaoround time was 5 days!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I was wondering why they don't have an expedited option like they do for US passports. I had mine expedited and the whole turnaoround time was 5 days!
It's the out of country thing. I belive they do have that same option applying from inside the UK.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:57 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It's the out of country thing. I belive they do have that same option applying from inside the UK.
You would think they would want to have the option so they could make more money!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

ukrenewalinusa is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent in my Passport for renewal on 17th Feb.
Got my credit card charged on 21st March.
Does anyone know how much longer would it take?
New to the forum....Hi Everyone
Old Mar 31st 2011, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

yalecurator is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All
I wanted to post an update on my passport application. I was called last week by someone at the Embassy in DC regarding the problem with my now defunct credit card (see earlier posting if interested) and I was able to provide details of another card. I left a follow-up message earlier this week and he called me today to say that they were printing the new passport today, and I would receive it either tomorrow or Monday.

I also PM'd the very helpful Dean Churm, who kindly responded with an offer to investigate, but it turned out not be unnecessary.

For the benefit of those wondering about the time-line, my application, which I sent via FedEx, and which included my expired passport, was signed for at the Embassy on March 2, so even with the problem with my credit card, my renewal will have taken just a month. Assuming that the passport arrives as promised, this will have turned out to be a better experience than I'd feared; however, the lesson I am taking away is that it would have been better to have renewed when I was in the UK and I will endeavor to do that in future!

Many thanks to all who posted in response to my original posting.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by yalecurator
Dear All
I wanted to post an update on my passport application. I was called last week by someone at the Embassy in DC regarding the problem with my now defunct credit card (see earlier posting if interested) and I was able to provide details of another card. I left a follow-up message earlier this week and he called me today to say that they were printing the new passport today, and I would receive it either tomorrow or Monday.

I also PM'd the very helpful Dean Churm, who kindly responded with an offer to investigate, but it turned out not be unnecessary.

For the benefit of those wondering about the time-line, my application, which I sent via FedEx, and which included my expired passport, was signed for at the Embassy on March 2, so even with the problem with my credit card, my renewal will have taken just a month. Assuming that the passport arrives as promised, this will have turned out to be a better experience than I'd feared; however, the lesson I am taking away is that it would have been better to have renewed when I was in the UK and I will endeavor to do that in future!

Many thanks to all who posted in response to my original posting.
Has anybody tracked the mailing of their renewal application via USPS's website and seen the response:

'Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available)' ?

I mailed my application, photos, passport & birth cert. late Tues via USPS Certified mail to the address given in the fees chart. Using the tracking number the postal service provided, this is the detailed Results:

Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available), March 31, 2011, 10:57 am, WASHINGTON, DC 20008
Arrival at Unit, March 31, 2011, 10:50 am, WASHINGTON, DC 20008
Acceptance, March 29, 2011, 5:43 pm, LAFAYETTE, IN 47901
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:42 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
Has anybody tracked the mailing of their renewal application via USPS's website and seen the response:

'Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available)' ?

I mailed my application, photos, passport & birth cert. late Tues via USPS Certified mail to the address given in the fees chart. Using the tracking number the postal service provided, this is the detailed Results:

Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available), March 31, 2011, 10:57 am, WASHINGTON, DC 20008
Arrival at Unit, March 31, 2011, 10:50 am, WASHINGTON, DC 20008
Acceptance, March 29, 2011, 5:43 pm, LAFAYETTE, IN 47901
This is what I posted earlier this week. Note the difference in the dates that the USPS web site tracking says and the green confirmation delivery card said when I received it.

Sent mine in for renewal the 4th March certified mail. According to USPS Washington received it the 7th but when I received the proof of delivery card back it had the 16th as the received date Anyway I checked my CC today and there is a pending charge as of the 29th. All being well and what seems to be the consensus on BE, I should be seeing my passport in 7 to 10 days Hope this helps anyone anxiously waiting. I will update when received.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anne55
This is what I posted earlier this week. Note the difference in the dates that the USPS web site tracking says and the green confirmation delivery card said when I received it.

It would be nice if they had actually received it, as for as far as I know it is sitting in Washington D.C.s central mail handling facility, waiting on a redelivery request, which I am reluctant to create if there is not going to be anyone 'home' to receive it tomorrow.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
It would be nice if they had actually received it, as for as far as I know it is sitting in Washington D.C.s central mail handling facility, waiting on a redelivery request, which I am reluctant to create if there is not going to be anyone 'home' to receive it tomorrow.
Try to not worry about it. It's normal for things to be picked up in bulk.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Try to not worry about it. It's normal for things to be picked up in bulk.
Sorry, I got a bit panicky with my identity being in the hands of a mailman.

I guess I'm tarring the USPS with a brush that has touched the Royal Mail.
Anyhoo, refreshing the USPS tracking page @ 1745 showed it as delivered at 1243.

Last edited by pTeronaut; Mar 31st 2011 at 10:03 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is really annoying. My husband sent his off at the end of February, credit card charged on March 25th but no sign of it, he needs to give the details for a security screening at the CDC so called up today on the premium line and apparently got a gormless operator whose only 'help' was agreeing that it was very poor service but it would be sent out 'in a couple of weeks'. This is going to jeopardise at least two important work trips, absolutely disgusting.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Sent off my husband's on March 4th (received March 9th) and credit card was charged on Friday April 1st (god I hope its not a joke....lol) Haven't got the passport as yet, but I'm assuming its on its way!
Old Apr 7th 2011, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

UKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really niceUKng is just really nice

It seems the Washington DC office for passports renewal is not fit for purpose. 3 passports sent for renewal 2/16, delivered 2/17, credit card charged $645!!! on 3/18, plus a foreign transaction cost of $20. Still no passports received, no email, no contact. Tried the ridiculous helpline, but refused to pay minimum 5 quid charge for the call, plus overseas call charges. Sent off complaint email to [email protected] no response. What kind of lousy service is this? My mother sent her passport for renewal in the UK, over 75, paid NOTHING got it back in 8 days. If its true these passports are being shipped back to the UK for processing its a disgrace, how long will it be before we hear a load of passports have gone missing in transit. I despair of having anything to do with any UK government process. Totally disgusted.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKng
It seems the Washington DC office for passports renewal is not fit for purpose. 3 passports sent for renewal 2/16, delivered 2/17, credit card charged $645!!! on 3/18, plus a foreign transaction cost of $20. Still no passports received, no email, no contact. Tried the ridiculous helpline, but refused to pay minimum 5 quid charge for the call, plus overseas call charges. Sent off complaint email to [email protected] no response. What kind of lousy service is this? My mother sent her passport for renewal in the UK, over 75, paid NOTHING got it back in 8 days. If its true these passports are being shipped back to the UK for processing its a disgrace, how long will it be before we hear a load of passports have gone missing in transit. I despair of having anything to do with any UK government process. Totally disgusted.
It really is a disgrace, and to charge good money just to be told nothing can be done is an absolute insult.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.