Who can certify documents?

Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

nerysann is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who can certify documents?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
A magistrate can certify for TRA. Your copper friend probably could, but TRA and DIAC are getting much stricter with their guidelines.
Citizen' s Advice Burteau usually does them free of charge, or they'd be able to give you a list of places if not
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice

Fareham Magistrates (Nr Portsmouth) just called me today and quoted my £25 per document

What a complete rip off!! Time to go a different route!

I have nearly got all my docs and certs etc and need to get a good price to certify and send all the stuff to ACS

Guess it sounds like a ring round the Solicitors.

SOMEONE EARLIER MENTIONED ABOUT GETTING 3 CERTIFIED COPIES!!
WHY 3?????

Also - do certified copies of the reference letters get sent to ACS - or the originals?
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stellaman
Fareham Magistrates (Nr Portsmouth) just called me today and quoted my £25 per document

What a complete rip off!! Time to go a different route!

I have nearly got all my docs and certs etc and need to get a good price to certify and send all the stuff to ACS

Guess it sounds like a ring round the Solicitors.

SOMEONE EARLIER MENTIONED ABOUT GETTING 3 CERTIFIED COPIES!!
WHY 3?????

Also - do certified copies of the reference letters get sent to ACS - or the originals?
You need 3 copies...1 for ACS, 1 for DIAC and 1 for your records. You send certified copies to ACS, not originals
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice

Yeah..

I looked on http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/find_a_notary.asp

Emailed all notary's local to me and they all sent me back quotes ranging from Free to £250... over 15 responses in 30 mins!

Better than a £25 direct with the Magistrates!!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

shella_n is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

If it helps any of you I am a solicitor and can certify documents for you. I have offered this to a few people and I am afraid I am making a charge as its very time consuming. But ive basically said to other people that I will certify as many docs as you want for £20 if you want to post them to me and will send it back recorded delivery same day if I can.

As they say..every little helps!

If you are interested just PM me and I wil give you my details.

Cheers

Michelle
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

madddogg is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Who can certify documents?

Originally Posted by shella_n
Hi All

If it helps any of you I am a solicitor and can certify documents for you. I have offered this to a few people and I am afraid I am making a charge as its very time consuming. But ive basically said to other people that I will certify as many docs as you want for £20 if you want to post them to me and will send it back recorded delivery same day if I can.

As they say..every little helps!

If you are interested just PM me and I wil give you my details.

Cheers

Michelle
that is so good of you could have saved myself alot of money.xxx
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

lyns will become famous soon enough

My mum applied online and scanned her originals onto computer and apparently they didn't need certifying. When I applied to the Australian University and when to my local council office and they certified my documents, not sure if they can certify documents for visa's
Old Feb 16th 2008, 12:04 pm
West Yorkshire to Cairns!

FoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really nice

Anybody know for sure if a copper can certify docs for our ARTC application to the TRA???? Pretty please?

Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Kev_and_Jen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You need 3 copies...1 for ACS, 1 for DIAC and 1 for your records. You send certified copies to ACS, not originals
Would it still be three copies now that you apply online? I am just getting my documents together for TRA then 175 visa. It looked to me as if I can photocopy everything once, get each photocopy signed then scan them before sending off paper copies to TRA. Then for visa, just use the scans...or will this not work?
I am not trying to be clever but I want to get it right and don't want to bother someone for 3 signatures if one will do.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Each of the differing skills assessments and DIAC have different requirements about who can certify documents. I think it is always best to check the relevant website as their lists of acceptable people can change over time. As mentioned above, certifying can be expensive so I would check the requirements with the body concerned before getting documents certified.

If you have an agent, I would follow their advice as chances are, they may have had applications returned when docs have been certified incorrectly!

For the ACS, their website states the following (under the FAQs):

40. Who can certify documents?
A Justice of the Peace; or

A Commissioner for Declarations; or

A person before whom a statutory declaration may be made under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959; or

If the copy is to be certified in a place outside Australia - a person who is the equivalent of a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Declarations in that place.

Please ask your local courts or Embassy for who is eligible from overseas. We do not have any lists with us.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice

Hi,

We were told the same as you Solicitor, Magistrate, Notary Public etc.

We got a local solicitor to do ours but did ring loads to get a decent price, we paid £20 for everything as we originally thought we were going to do a paper based application. They do vary hugely with their prices so please ring round.

Kind regards and good luck Lou xx
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Angib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant future

Just downloaded the relevant legislation direct - see below
A statutory declaration under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959 may be made before–
(1) a person who is currently licensed or registered under a law to practise in one of the following occupations:
Chiropractor Dentist Legal practitioner
Medical practitioner Nurse Optometrist
Patent attorney Pharmacist Physiotherapist
Psychologist Trade marks attorney Veterinary surgeon
(2) a person who is enrolled on the roll of the Supreme Court of a State or Territory, or the High Court of Australia, as a legal practitioner (however described); or
(3) a person who is in the following list:
Agent of the Australian Postal Corporation who is in charge of an office supplying postal services to the public
Australian Consular Officer or Australian Diplomatic Officer (within the meaning of the Consular Fees Act 1955)
Bailiff
Bank officer with 5 or more continuous years of service
Building society officer with 5 or more years of continuous service
Chief executive officer of a Commonwealth court
Clerk of a court
Commissioner for Affidavits
Commissioner for Declarations
Credit union officer with 5 or more years of continuous service
Employee of the Australian Trade Commission who is:
(a) in a country or place outside Australia; and
(b) authorised under paragraph 3 (d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955; and
(c) exercising his or her function in that place
Employee of the Commonwealth who is:
(b) authorised under paragraph 3 (c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955; and
Fellow of the National Tax Accountants’ Association
Finance company officer with 5 or more years of continuous service
Holder of a statutory office not specified in another item in this list
Judge of a court
Justice of the Peace
Magistrate
Marriage celebrant registered under Subdivision C of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961
Master of a court
Member of Chartered Secretaries Australia
Member of Engineers Australia, other than at the grade of student
Member of the Association of Taxation and Management Accountants
Member of the Australian Defence Force who is:
(a) an officer; or
(b) a non-commissioned officer within the meaning of the Defence Force Discipline Act 1982 with 5 or more years of continuous service; or
(c) a warrant officer within the meaning of that Act
Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, the Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants or the National Institute of
Accountants
Member of:
(a) the Parliament of the Commonwealth; or
(b) the Parliament of a State; or
(c) a Territory legislature; or
(d) a local government authority of a State or Territory
Minister of religion registered under Subdivision A of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961
Notary public
Permanent employee of the Australian Postal Corporation with 5 or more years of continuous service who is employed in an office supplying postal
services to the public
Permanent employee of:
(a) the Commonwealth or a Commonwealth authority; or
(b) a State or Territory or a State or Territory authority; or
(c) a local government authority;
with 5 or more years of continuous service who is not specified in another item in this list
Person before whom a statutory declaration may be made under the law of the State or Territory in which the declaration is made
Police officer
Registrar, or Deputy Registrar, of a court
Senior Executive Service employee of:
(b) a State or Territory or a State or Territory authority
Sheriff
Sheriff’s officer
Teacher employed on a full-time basis at a school or tertiary education institution

I ave been told by my case manager that if they reject documents that have been certified by any of th ebaove then you can appeal quoting the above info? Not sure if this helps but it seems to make sense.
Ang
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember that this is the list of people who are able to witness a statutory declaration in Australia. The SDA 1959 is an Australian piece of legislation, which operates in Australia, not the UK.

The UK equivalent is the Statutory Declarations Act of 1835 so this list does not apply to the witnessing of stat decs in the UK under UK legislation.

I hope that makes sense. Again, I can only suggest that you look at the requirements as set by the individual bodies. This changes over time so what may have been accepted 2 months ago may not be now.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Angib
Just downloaded the relevant legislation direct - see below
A statutory declaration under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959 may be made before–
(1) a person who is currently licensed or registered under a law to practise in one of the following occupations:
Chiropractor Dentist Legal practitioner
Medical practitioner Nurse Optometrist
Patent attorney Pharmacist Physiotherapist
Psychologist Trade marks attorney Veterinary surgeon
(2) a person who is enrolled on the roll of the Supreme Court of a State or Territory, or the High Court of Australia, as a legal practitioner (however described); or
(3) a person who is in the following list:
Agent of the Australian Postal Corporation who is in charge of an office supplying postal services to the public
Australian Consular Officer or Australian Diplomatic Officer (within the meaning of the Consular Fees Act 1955)
Bailiff
Bank officer with 5 or more continuous years of service
Building society officer with 5 or more years of continuous service
Chief executive officer of a Commonwealth court
Clerk of a court
Commissioner for Affidavits
Commissioner for Declarations
Credit union officer with 5 or more years of continuous service
Employee of the Australian Trade Commission who is:
(b) authorised under paragraph 3 (d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955; and
Employee of the Commonwealth who is:
(b) authorised under paragraph 3 (c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955; and
Fellow of the National Tax Accountants’ Association
Finance company officer with 5 or more years of continuous service
Holder of a statutory office not specified in another item in this list
Judge of a court
Justice of the Peace
Magistrate
Marriage celebrant registered under Subdivision C of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961
Master of a court
Member of Chartered Secretaries Australia
Member of Engineers Australia, other than at the grade of student
Member of the Association of Taxation and Management Accountants
Member of the Australian Defence Force who is:
(a) an officer; or
(b) a non-commissioned officer within the meaning of the Defence Force Discipline Act 1982 with 5 or more years of continuous service; or
(c) a warrant officer within the meaning of that Act
Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, the Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants or the National Institute of
Accountants
Member of:
(a) the Parliament of the Commonwealth; or
(b) the Parliament of a State; or
(c) a Territory legislature; or
(d) a local government authority of a State or Territory
Minister of religion registered under Subdivision A of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961
Notary public
Permanent employee of the Australian Postal Corporation with 5 or more years of continuous service who is employed in an office supplying postal
services to the public
Permanent employee of:
(b) a State or Territory or a State or Territory authority; or
(c) a local government authority;
with 5 or more years of continuous service who is not specified in another item in this list
Person before whom a statutory declaration may be made under the law of the State or Territory in which the declaration is made
Police officer
Registrar, or Deputy Registrar, of a court
Senior Executive Service employee of:
(b) a State or Territory or a State or Territory authority
Sheriff
Sheriff’s officer
Teacher employed on a full-time basis at a school or tertiary education institution

I ave been told by my case manager that if they reject documents that have been certified by any of th ebaove then you can appeal quoting the above info? Not sure if this helps but it seems to make sense.
Ang
Old Mar 4th 2008, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

Originally Posted by FoxyRuthie
Anybody know for sure if a copper can certify docs for our ARTC application to the TRA???? Pretty please?

Well, slightly different docs but I got my wife's Sgt to certify all my stuff for my Visa Application. Got her to make each one as "True copy of the original document", she signed it, put her rank & collar number on it then stamped each copy with the Official Station Stamp (every Police Station should have one).

Sent these off with my app (Spouse Visa) and my case worker accepted them without any question. Saved me a fortune in fees though my local solicitor would've done them on the cheap as we were selling our house through them (only found this out afterwards).

Even had offers offers for colleagues of mine (I worked for the Police also) to do my Police checks but I went the Official route for these (got Scottish ones in 5 days and English ones within the 40 days - just)
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Angib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant future

Hey Mate,

In relation to the Police checks - had you lived in Scotland and England, as i have only applied for Scottish one as never lived outside of Scotland?

Angi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.