Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Am I entitled to job seekers benefit

Am I entitled to job seekers benefit

Old Jun 13th 2012, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Bonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really nice
Default Am I entitled to job seekers benefit

Oh my god, the subject makes me sound like a leach. I'm a kiwi, lived in ireland for 7 years before Moving back to nz with Irish wife and kids for 4 years, now she's homesick, moving back to Eire (atleast maybe we can be mortgage free) but not to confident on job prospects (electrician). Because I havent worked in Ireland for 4 years does this mean I can't claim straight away. Something to do with tax credits? And my wife? She hasn't worked since I met her, so can she claim? Can't believe I'm leaving my handy job/van/perks to recession hit Ireland, but hey, I love this girl and will do anything to make her happy.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:18 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I entitled to job seekers benefit

Originally Posted by Bonesyhead
Oh my god, the subject makes me sound like a leach. I'm a kiwi, lived in ireland for 7 years before Moving back to nz with Irish wife and kids for 4 years, now she's homesick, moving back to Eire (atleast maybe we can be mortgage free) but not to confident on job prospects (electrician). Because I havent worked in Ireland for 4 years does this mean I can't claim straight away. Something to do with tax credits? And my wife? She hasn't worked since I met her, so can she claim? Can't believe I'm leaving my handy job/van/perks to recession hit Ireland, but hey, I love this girl and will do anything to make her happy.
Have a look at the thread on here "habitual residence rules".

In a nutshell no, not for at least two years.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 12:07 am
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

No.
You will fail the HRC (Habitual Residence Condition).
You will not be eligible to claim Job Seekers Allowance until you have lived within the state for 2 years.
You will not be eligible to claim Job Seekers Benefit until you have made a single PRSI tax contribution to the Revenue, in the current tax year in which you wish to claim. That is based on you being an EU migrant worker (therefore exempt from the HRC).
Your wife can claim neither of the above, as she will also fail the HRC.
Curing your wife's homesickness will not put food on the table. The state wont either. You may love her and wish to make her happy, but when you can't put food on the table; you will see how that changes.
Stay where the work is. Send your wife back for a visit home.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Bonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
No.
You will fail the HRC (Habitual Residence Condition).
You will not be eligible to claim Job Seekers Allowance until you have lived within the state for 2 years.
You will not be eligible to claim Job Seekers Benefit until you have made a single PRSI tax contribution to the Revenue, in the current tax year in which you wish to claim. That is based on you being an EU migrant worker (therefore exempt from the HRC).
Your wife can claim neither of the above, as she will also fail the HRC.
Curing your wife's homesickness will not put food on the table. The state wont either. You may love her and wish to make her happy, but when you can't put food on the table; you will see how that changes.
Stay where the work is. Send your wife back for a visit home.
Sending the wife back for a visit unfortunately doesn't cure homesickness. Probably just makes it worse.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Sending the wife back for a visit unfortunately doesn't cure homesickness. Probably just makes it worse.
I had wife problems once - so I traded her in for a younger model. Best thing I ever did.

But seriously, if you do come back it will be very difficult, probably more than you realise.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:49 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

You don't mention children.
If you have them ( I presume this is why your wife hasn't worked for the past 7 years ) you really ought to persuade her to consider their future too.
Maybe sending her back for a few weeks might make her see sense - the bleak economic outlook dominates the news and everyday conversation.
She'd have to be daft not to work out she's better of where she is until at least things pick up.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
You don't mention children.
If you have them ( I presume this is why your wife hasn't worked for the past 7 years ) you really ought to persuade her to consider their future too.
Maybe sending her back for a few weeks might make her see sense - the bleak economic outlook dominates the news and everyday conversation.
She'd have to be daft not to work out she's better of where she is until at least things pick up.
We have a 7 year old, a 5 year old and a 1 year old. We understand the enormity of the decision but we do have a lot of support from her mother which will help with a lot of things including work for wife (child minder). I may have to return to nz and work enough to save for our two year 'food on the table' money. It will be hard. I am under no illusion, we came back two years ago to do the same thing and turned around 10 weeks later.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 7:03 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

We have a 7 year old, a 5 year old and a 1 year old. We understand the enormity of the decision but we do have a lot of support from her mother which will help with a lot of things including work for wife (child minder). I may have to return to nz and work enough to save for our two year 'food on the table' money. It will be hard. I am under no illusion, we came back two years ago to do the same thing and turned around 10 weeks later.
Bonesyhead... I live in Vancouver and its full of Irish construction workers due to no work in Ireland. It must be hard for you two cos homesickness is a truly awful thing. Good luck with what you choose mate.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Bonesyhead... I live in Vancouver and its full of Irish construction workers due to no work in Ireland. It must be hard for you two cos homesickness is a truly awful thing. Good luck with what you choose mate.
Thanks londonuck, a bit of well wishing never goes astray. After all, what's the worse that can happen, lose a couple of grand and return to nz. It's only money. You never know, sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time talking to the right person. Actually if it doesn't work out maybe we'll follow your lead and try Canada. Adventure before dementia as they say.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 9:00 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks londonuck, a bit of well wishing never goes astray. After all, what's the worse that can happen, lose a couple of grand and return to nz. It's only money. You never know, sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time talking to the right person. Actually if it doesn't work out maybe we'll follow your lead and try Canada. Adventure before dementia as they say.
Blew 5k trying Toronto last summer and we failed. Back in Van city from February and we're are laughing mate, truly laughing. Its like there's no world recession in western Canada.

OK, now im contradicting myself.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:43 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Blew 5k trying Toronto last summer and we failed. Back in Van city from February and we're are laughing mate, truly laughing. Its like there's no world recession in western Canada.

OK, now im contradicting myself.
I once worked as a bouncer at a massage parlour on Grandby Street in Toronto.
It was called the Grandby Studios on the corner of Yonge and Grandby.
This woman came in one day looking for a nice rubdown with some Johnsons Baby Oil.I don't think she quite understood the premise of the premises.
As I was the only feller there I was roped in by the owner to do the business.
Anyway, one thing led to another and I'm stood there stark bollock naked giving her my best shot when ....

.... to be continued.

( You've got to admit - it's a darn sight more interesting than Sean banging on about the Habitual Residence
Condition. You wait till I get to the bit about her husband bursting into the room. It'll make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up )

Last edited by Cuthbert Rizla; Jun 15th 2012 at 10:47 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 1:21 am
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

I am calling bullshit on this one.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 5:38 pm
Éireann go Brách

Where is Mr Story, Michaleen Oge, the King of Blackrock?

He was in the Navy so im guessing there is something watered down for internet viewing coming.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand the inner confusion that Mr. Rizla Esq. must have suffered upon discovering his feminine side, under threat from the husband demanding the full gold membership treatment.