Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why is American radio so bad?

Why is American radio so bad?

Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is American radio so bad?

NPR all the way.You get a bit of everything.

I love listening to Frank Deford on my way to work Wednesday mornings..
Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I love listening to Frank Deford on my way to work Wednesday mornings..
Frank Deford

Have disliked him for as long as I've lived in the States due to his condescending views on footie.

Otherwise agree NPR provides the best US-produced radio content. However, overall, it doesn't come anywhere close to the depth of programming on R4.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Define good and then others may be able to give you pointers where to find such audio entertainment.
Here you go.......alas poor Alan has gone to that great Radio Station in the Sky.

His style; Less of the B.S - more of the music

Jim.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

NPR is fine but the good programming is primarily news focused and in tiny amounts (7-9am, 12 -2 pm, 5-7 pm) interspersed with vast amounts of orchesteral music or opera.
Define good?
Lots of radio drama, comedy, books, reality-based programming, gardening programs. Radio 4 for the US.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jensmate
I listen to BBC radio via computer and I never fail to wonder why some enterprising person hasn't created radio drama, etc. that would appeal to the US audience? US radio comedy seemed to be popular in the days before TV but fizzled after visual entertainment took hold.
Before computers were popular (in the cold, dark days of the 70s and 80s) I would listen to "A Prairie Home Companion" on NPR. For 2 hours every Saturday night I would be transported to a place and time populated by Norwegian bachelor farmers and wonder why Garrison Keillor didn't buy his own radio station and play that stuff 24 hours a day.
Luckily I can now listen to Radio 4 in real time. My American friends who have been introduced to BBC radio are amazed and instantly hooked. THEY wonder why their radio is crap. My librarian friend listens to Radio4 at work and can't believe how good it is.

So, why does good American radio continue to be virtually non-existent
Not all American radio is so bad....... Garrison is still great and on NPR every week.

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/

A must listen for me
Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Frank Deford

Have disliked him for as long as I've lived in the States due to his condescending views on footie.
He makes me laugh.....

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Not all American radio is so bad....... Garrison is still great and on NPR every week.

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/

A must listen for me

Garrison Keillor

When I have to work Saturday afternoons I listen to Prairie Home. I always tell myself not to because I find his voice annoying but some weird magnetism to this show draws me back everytime...........
Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:03 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I always tell myself not to because I find his voice annoying but some weird magnetism to this show draws me back everytime...........
that's the same effect "Beadle's About" had in the UK.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Manc
that's the same effect "Beadle's About" had in the UK.

Right.

Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:45 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
... because of Clear Channel
Didn't they just give you the JohnJay and Rich breakfast show thats hilarious.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

I listen to BBC radio via computer and I never fail to wonder why some enterprising person hasn't created radio drama, etc. that would appeal to the US audience? US radio comedy seemed to be popular in the days before TV but fizzled after visual entertainment took hold.
Before computers were popular (in the cold, dark days of the 70s and 80s) I would listen to "A Prairie Home Companion" on NPR. For 2 hours every Saturday night I would be transported to a place and time populated by Norwegian bachelor farmers and wonder why Garrison Keillor didn't buy his own radio station and play that stuff 24 hours a day.
Luckily I can now listen to Radio 4 in real time. My American friends who have been introduced to BBC radio are amazed and instantly hooked. THEY wonder why their radio is crap. My librarian friend listens to Radio4 at work and can't believe how good it is.

Lack of comedy?

Have you heard any of their black "screaming" preachers?

Seriously, I enjoy Radio4 comedies i.e "Just a minute" or "Sorry I haven't a clue", but in my humble opinion, BBCR4 have a rather consistent and well defined "anti-christian" focus, which in recent years I have found pretty predictable and off-putting.

I also like everything about US and forgive my cowboys their cheesy radio.

Old Dec 27th 2008, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

For good radio here, there's NPR. They have a mixture of news, interviews, etc. I always found Radio 4 boring. Are you looking for 24 hour radio drama? I enjoy "A prairie home companion" but I wouldn't want it more than once a week. For music, of course, there is Sirius/XM (Satellite) - hundreds of channels commercial free.

For similarly good TV here, there's PBS. While British TV is of a high standard, the sheer quantity of TV here (assuming you have digital cable, or satellite) virtually guarantees that there is 'some' good stuff available at any time. We watch tons of good science, nature, history, documentary and other programming on channels such as History Channel, Science Channel, Discovery Channel, and - of course - the various PBS channels out there.
You do have to 'search' for these shows, but - they are out there. On UK TV, by comparison - the quality is high but, if you want a 'nature' show you may be SOL and have to watch a documentary, or whatever.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I also prefer American TV to British TV. There is always something to watch. I do prefer certain shows on Brit TV (the Royle family and Benidorm, for example), but on the whole US TV has more quantity. US radio is dreadful. It's painful to listen to. I paid $100 to have XM installed in my car. I just couldn't stand the same old 80's songs on the radio. I guess many people (the locals) don't have anything to compare it to, so they don't know it's bad. I have been in the UK a lot this year and I love Radio 4. It's just the best. NPR is the closest thing to R4, but does not come close in the quality of the shows and the depth of the debates/news etc. I do listen to R4 and Radio Manchester on the internet when in the US. This helps me feel connected. Now, if only the BBC iplayer would work outside the UK!
Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:38 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

NPR is fine but the good programming is primarily news focused and in tiny amounts (7-9am, 12 -2 pm, 5-7 pm) interspersed with vast amounts of orchesteral music or opera.
Define good?
Lots of radio drama, comedy, books, reality-based programming, gardening programs. Radio 4 for the US.
NPR is only part of public radio. Each individual station chooses which national (and international...BBC World News is carried a few times a day on one of the locals here) programs to carry and what their local music/talk shows will be....they're mostly run by colleges.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:52 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
stop messing about and get Sirius
Don't you mean SERIOUS?
Old Dec 27th 2008, 2:17 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

US radio comedy seemed to be popular in the days before TV but fizzled after visual entertainment took hold.
I believe you answered your own question. The other part of the equation is that commercial radio stations (as well as TV) exist for one purpose and that is to sell advertisement. They are not there to provide quality entertainment/information or anything else, any programming is just bait to get listeners to stay on that station long enough to hear the commercials.

Garrison Keillor's nose breathing makes me want to smash the radio. He has some good music every once in a while but the rest of his show is so painfully boring it makes me want to drive into a bridge piling for a little exitement.

And why does the audience love that powdermilk biscuits thing? If it's some kind of joke, I don't get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.