Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Polly, Put the Kettle on.

Polly, Put the Kettle on.

Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Polly, Put the Kettle on.

OK... You say to some one...

"put the kettle on love"

(kevin)

Coz you're trying to quilt The1s daughters quilt to be ready to be mailed for birthday by saturday, in 20 minute stints..... Ok.. Managed 25 this morning....

She Does literally do just that... Boils the kettle....

Am I NOT SPEAKING ENGLISH.....????

"Put the kettle on" always used to mean...... Put the kettle on and make your darling mommy dearest a cuppa...

We need to move back to the UK immdediately.. She's loosing her understanding of the mothers tongue
Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:27 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Polly, Put the Kettle on.

In our house my dad would say 'Are you making tea T?'. Now clearly I wouldn't be making tea at that moment but it was the cue to go and make some tea. My husband HATES this expression with a passion...so I use it whenever possible
Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
In our house my dad would say 'Are you making tea T?'. Now clearly I wouldn't be making tea at that moment but it was the cue to go and make some tea. My husband HATES this expression with a passion...so I use it whenever possible
Wow.. Thats a bit passive aggressive innit?

But Yes... I understand that ... Completely.... Its one of those questions that doesnt need an answer...

Like "Gorgeous, are you going to put that knife back in the draw and stop threatening to stab yer younger brother with it?"

Rhetorical ?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:52 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, it just winds him up...but he still makes me tea
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nah, it just winds him up...but he still makes me tea
You realise that he is stirring your Tea clockwise, not your prefered anti clockwise just to get his own back in you up dont you????
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite saying that I use on my husband (which he hates) is "If you make coffee do you think I would have one?"
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My favourite saying that I use on my husband (which he hates) is "If you make coffee do you think I would have one?"
To which his answer should be

" dont know dear, and right now I have more important things on my mind, like clipping my toenails, what I want to know is if a butterfly flaps its wings in the middle of an empty forrest of fallen trees ... Would eddie007 try and start a thread about it?"

HE usually just says

"is it time for coffee?"

To which I answer yes or no... Dependent on howmlong he has been doing housework for... i'm not a COMPLETE slave driver you know!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I normally say to the kids what letter comes after "S".So when they sat "T" ,I then say that would be lovely,two sugars please.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:58 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

A girl once offered me a coffee back at her flat after a night out,how shocked was i when i went there and discovered she didn't have a kettle
Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
A girl once offered me a coffee back at her flat after a night out,how shocked was i when i went there and discovered she didn't have a kettle
Back in the day I would have been more dissappointed if I'd been invited back to a blokes flat for coffee and actually was given the bloody stuff
Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Back in the day I would have been more dissappointed if I'd been invited back to a blokes flat for coffee and actually was given the bloody stuff
I invited a guy back to my place for coffee one night and he said "no thanks, I don't drink coffee"
Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I invited a guy back to my place for coffee one night and he said "no thanks, I don't drink coffee"
Well at least he let you down gently.....