Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Driving Licence

UK Driving Licence

Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:38 pm
50 and wanting to go back

jimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant future
Post UK Driving Licence

When we came to Ontario we surrendered our driving licence, if we return to the UK do we have to retake driving test and will i get my truck licence back?
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:47 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Driving Licence

You only surrendered the documents. You haven't lost the entitlements... just contact the DVLA and have them re-issued.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

They should still have a record of you when you swap your ontario licence back again.

If you kept a copy of the old one thats even better.

You realise that homesickness is really common after about 6 months here....I hope you are thinking straight about returning!

Last edited by iaink; Nov 4th 2009 at 1:53 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
You realise that homesickness is really common after about 6 months here....I hope you are thinking straight about returning!
I doubt there are many who have not gone through it, those that are still here came through the other side!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I doubt there are many who have not gone through it, those that are still here came through the other side!
I'm just saying you have to really force yourself to give it at least a year I think. Culture shock and all that...

There is no shame in going back, but you have to be aware that that 4-8 month period can be a real minefield when it comes to making irrational choices. If you still hate it after a year or more, then fair enough.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

I spoke to DVLA about two weeks ago about this subject at great length. When you exchange your UK licence for a canadian one. When you come back to the UK, you are permitted to drive here on a canadian licence. Only when you wish to resettle back in the uk permanently, do send back your canadian licence to DVLA and they will issue with a new UK licence. Personally a farce but this so that you only have one licence in the country where the UK has recipricol arrangements. I did ask how it would affect any UK insurance but they said that they did not know?
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:07 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishrose1
I spoke to DVLA about two weeks ago about this subject at great length. When you exchange your UK licence for a canadian one. When you come back to the UK, you are permitted to drive here on a canadian licence. Only when you wish to resettle back in the uk permanently, do send back your canadian licence to DVLA and they will issue with a new UK licence. Personally a farce but this so that you only have one licence in the country where the UK has recipricol arrangements. I did ask how it would affect any UK insurance but they said that they did not know?
Hmm, ICBC (in er, BC) gave mine back after I passed the test.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:21 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Hmm, ICBC (in er, BC) gave mine back after I passed the test.
Showed the driver centre mine, then kept it. Sent mine into DVLA to update an address and the buggers kept it.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Showed the driver centre mine, then kept it. Sent mine into DVLA to update an address and the buggers kept it.
I updated the address on my UK license just before I got my BC one. It's good for 10 years now (I used a UK address though, didn't tell them I was in Canada)
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I kept my British one also, but then I got my first license in the States and the 'lady' at the counter had never heard of Engerland.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
I kept my British one also, but then I got my first license in the States and the 'lady' at the counter had never heard of Engerland.
That's cos they speak 'American'
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I updated the address on my UK license just before I got my BC one. It's good for 10 years now (I used a UK address though, didn't tell them I was in Canada)
I think the Canadian postmark gave it away. The stupid thing was I posted it at Vancouver as it already had a stamp on it, the day before taking a flight to London.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:47 pm
50 and wanting to go back

jimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iaink
They should still have a record of you when you swap your ontario licence back again.

If you kept a copy of the old one thats even better.

I realy dont want to go back, and it will be next year if we do, im not home sick i feel like i am getting screwed at every corner, oh is home sick. I would rather head up to alberta to see if work is easer to find and better paid. We will see.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 6:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by jimbloby7
I realy dont want to go back, and it will be next year if we do, im not home sick i feel like i am getting screwed at every corner, oh is home sick. I would rather head up to alberta to see if work is easer to find and better paid. We will see.
What do you do? Getting screwed is all part of the charm of life in canada.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:10 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Been here over two years, never been homesick once. Except for proper bacon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.