Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Apprenticeships to temporary residents?

Apprenticeships to temporary residents?

Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

FerrariFan86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apprenticeships to temporary residents?

Hi all!

My son is having trouble finding work and we're trying every option available to us. We live in Sydney. I was curious if apprenticeships/trainee-ships etc are available to 457 holders?
I've heard that different states might have different policies in regards to what 457 holders are eligible for.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apprenticeships to temporary residents?

The trouble is most apprenticeships last 3/4 years so employers would be wary of giving anyone who's TR one because they will expect the apprentice to leave the country as soon as they finish. There would be nothng in it for them. Have a look on here, I looked quickly and couldn't find anything but there's a lot of info there. There's also this for NSW, don't know how useful that is. The kids I know on Apprenticeships are either PR or Citizens.

Edit: just found this on the second link, sorry, news not good.

From 1 February 2004 a person (the applicant), who applies for approval to establish an apprenticeship or traineeship for a person whom the applicant has employed as an apprentice or trainee, must ensure that the apprentice or trainee meets one of the following citizenship or residency status eligibility requirements.

They must be:

an Australian citizen; or
a foreign national with permanent residency; or
a New Zealand passport holder who has been resident in Australia for at least six months.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apprenticeships to temporary residents?

I can confirm- my H went for an interview as an apprentice and he had to be PR to be accepted on the programme.