Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Bringing car from uk to ireland ?

Bringing car from uk to ireland ?

Old Jun 11th 2007, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

mister_tortoise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bringing car from uk to ireland ?

hey lindy,

thanks for the reply. i'll look into that.

ric
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

tobyallie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, this topic is a popular one!

We have just changed our car in the UK (last month). My husband started working in Ireland 1 month ago and I am now in the process of moving over. I am going back and forth to the UK between now and Chrismtas with the car, when it will then be over 6 months old - thank goodness.

I understand that I can drive the car on my UK registration and insurance for up to 1 year, so long as I keep making trips back to the UK to keep my UK insurance valid (90 days overseas limit).

In a month or so, I am aiming to start work over in Ireland. Therefore, can anyone confirm that I have the right assumptions above plus, that I can continue to drive my car here without any probs up to 1 year although I will then be working in Ireland? The long term, if jobs work out will be to register the car in Ireland.

Has anyone had any experience of this? If you are stopped by the Garda, do you just show your UK license, registration and insurance?

Thanks,

tobyallie
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

lindy333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My UK insurance company told me my insurance would be null and void the minute I started working in Ireland, in fact they said because I had an Irish address as well as a Uk address they wouldnt insure me hence my problem now(I need to tax my car and dont have UK insurance).Maybe your insurance broker is different.As for the police my husband as been stopped 4 times by the police and he has shown his Uk licence a couple of times he has been asked why he hasnt got an Irish licence but he as explained he is only working here temporarily and there has been no problems.If you are charged with speeding here you will have to pay the fixed penalty but they cant put points on your licence(just as well for my hubby!!)

Lindy
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

tobyallie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help Lindy, my insurance is okay so long as I am only visiting - when I start work, I'll try and arrange insurance over here - hopefully in a couple of months.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tobyallie
I understand that I can drive the car on my UK registration and insurance for up to 1 year, so long as I keep making trips back to the UK to keep my UK insurance valid (90 days overseas limit).
Although the time you can drive a UK plated car seems to vary from country to country, EU law does stipulate that for a car to be legal in the country its being driven in, it must also be road legal in the country of registration. Insurance companies are well aware of this law so please beware. In effect this means that you must have a valid MOT certificate and Road fund licence whilst driving in Ireland.

In Spain for instance you can only keep the car there under tourist circumstances for 6 months, thereafter you are required to register on Spanish plates, but don't know what the law would be there in
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
In effect this means that you must have a valid MOT certificate and Road fund licence whilst driving in Ireland.
Let's say, theoretically that your UK road tax ran out on 31 May but you've applied to register your car in Ireland and paid for your road tax to be back dated to 1/6 but haven't recieved your documents, tax or new registration number yet (theoretically remember) can you still drive as you've paid for your road tax or should you wait until you get the documents?

Last edited by Horus; Jun 12th 2007 at 7:07 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:29 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horus
Let's say, theoretically that your UK road tax ran out on 31 May but you've applied to register your car in Ireland and paid for your road tax to be back dated to 1/6 but haven't recieved your documents, tax or new registration number yet (theoretically remember) can you still drive as you've paid for your road tax or should you wait until you get the documents?

Well very carefully I guess
In theory, your insurance company could decline any claim on the basis that your car was not road legal. However if you've applied for everything I suppose it would be OK. Again I don't know if its the same there, but we get pulled over here for spot checks on a very regular basis and not having the correct docs in the car with us leads to big fines
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

marcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant future

hi,
I have tenants from UK at present they are here since Oct and still driving their UK reg car. They have been told by police that they can drive it for 1 year(they are not sure if they are staying permanent depends on work) provided it is taxes and insured. He was pulled for speeding and was told if he stays and gets a Irish licence then penalty points wil go on it.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

scottie70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marcecie
He was pulled for speeding and was told if he stays and gets a Irish licence then penalty points wil go on it.

Q. I hold a full UK licence and I am now resident in Ireland. Do I have to exchange for an Irish licence?
A. No. You may drive here on your UK licence for the duration of its validity. However, you may apply for exchange, if you wish.

see website

http://www.transport.ie/roads/licens...g=ENG&loc=1838
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

ukjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be moving permanently to Ireland soon and i'm not sure yet how long I will be in temporary accomodation before buying a house as a permanent residence. I am at present changing my car so theoretically i will have to pay VRT and also tax and insurance in Ireland. I would love to be able to get round these niggles but whichever way I look at it I'm trapped. Firstly, whilst my UK motor insurance gives me up to 180 days cover in EU countries this is conditional upon my permanent residence being in UK so I need to take Insurance out in Ireland. If I can't show the VRT people that I'm temporarily in Ireland then that will have to be paid and also the car tax. Surely all this thread is about is evasion.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by scottie70
A. No. You may drive here on your UK licence for the duration of its validity. However, you may apply for exchange, if you wish.
But you try contacting DVLA and changing your address to one in Ireland. I did and was told I couldn't do that and I would HAVE to apply for an Irish licence
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

lindy333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Uk John

Your right it is about evasion but I am only here for 9 months and really dont want to pay 7000 euros to register my car when I will be back in the Uk early next year.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

scottie70 is an unknown quantity at this point

But you try contacting DVLA and changing your address to one in Ireland. I did and was told I couldn't do that and I would HAVE to apply for an Irish licence
Is there any other UK address you can use? I use my parents, I've been done for speeding and there was no problems. In fact I got away with the speeding fine, that's another story. Nice loop hole which is currently open.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottie70
Is there any other UK address you can use? I use my parents, I've been done for speeding and there was no problems. In fact I got away with the speeding fine, that's another story. Nice loop hole which is currently open.
lol - nice loophole!

Unfortunately not, I don't have another address I can use so I'm stuck!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote from DVLA....

"Drivers who take up residence in another EC/EEA country no longer have to exchange their driving licence, but may continue to drive using their own national licence for as long as is remains valid. You should however check with the appropriate driving licensing authorities where you are now resident for information on any conditions that the host member state may stipulate.

National licences may only carry an address from the country which issued that licence. We are therefore unable to re-issue your British licence with a foreign address. It is accepted that drivers who move to another part of the EC/EEA could be holding driving licences showing an incorrect address. This is permissible under the terms of the EC Directive on Driving Licences."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.