Skilled Worker Experience

Old Sep 14th 2004, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skilled Worker Experience

Is it true that you must seek employment in the field that you used to obtain the experience points?

If so then since I wish to move to Calgary would I be better off applying as Chemical Engineer with Oil/Gas Expereince or as a software developer. For the last 15 years I have been a prinicpal consultant/director of a small UK based consultancy providing engineering consultancy and software development services to the chemical industries?

Is it true that due to professional engineer status requirements that it is almost impossible for an experienced British engineer to find employment in Calgary?

Last edited by Posidrive; Sep 14th 2004 at 9:53 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 10:05 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice
Default Re: Skilled Worker Experience

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Is it true that you must seek employment in the field that you used to obtain the experience points?
No.

Is it true that due to professional engineer status requirements that it is almost impossible for an experienced British engineer to find employment in Calgary?
There has been some talk on here, or the other Canada board, about having to be accredited in Canada before being able to do certain engineering jobs. Might be worth a quick search.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 10:24 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

It is not necessary for you to be accredited as an engineer in order to be accepted for permanent residence in Canada. To work as a chemical engineer you would need to be licensed by the engineering association of the province in which you reside. You can take any work that you find once in Canada.

If so then since I wish to move to Calgary would I be better off applying as Chemical Engineer with Oil/Gas Expereince or as a software developer. For the last 15 years I have been a prinicpal consultant/director of a small UK based consultancy providing engineering consultancy and software development services to the chemical industries?

Old Sep 14th 2004, 11:01 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

No, it is not true at all. You can seek any employment you are qualified for or employer wants to hire you for.

Same with other rumors - the only truth is that in order to work as and/or use designation of Professional Engineer (like chartered engineer in UK) you need to be licensed as such. But you can work in any other engineering job under the supervision of PE.