Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any British on here who are living in Florida?

Any British on here who are living in Florida?

Old Apr 18th 2014, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British on here who are living in Florida?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Does he have some sort of universal visa?
or Disney ?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Gainesville for 23 years and never had a negative comment. Local Floridians have always been great, very laid back and easy to get on with.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much for responding!!! Great responses, from ALL of you.

I agree, many Americans I've spoken too do not know their own US history, or much world geography. I have come across that myself in the USA. I have no idea what that is going on there.
I learned that in school... Are they telling people lies in some of the history classes in the non-fee paying schools?
No time off for holidays, so Americans do very little travelling outside the country, so they do not know where anything on the planet is?
No excuse.
Again, we took YEARS of world history and world geography in the fee paying schools... Do they not teach world history and world geography in some of the non-fee paying schools?

I just don't know what is up with that... But, I agree... it IS sometimes an issue.

I guess I am sort of even asking people to 'vent' because I want them to be honest, and no place is perfect for anyone, so I'm fine with people responding however they want too.

This is good information for me to have. So, thank you again!

My husband is not on this board because he is just sooooo ready to pack up and go... he has no questions, fears, or worries - But, ummm, I do!!!

He loves the USA, and he has visited for extended periods of time throughout his entire life and he just... loves it, and he believes it will be 'no problems at all' for him to live there.

I am the one with the worries... I felt the same way about the UK. I had visited a number of times, throughout my entire life, and I liked the people, and thought it would all be just fine - and that is not entirely how it turned out for me in the UK. I mean, it is fine, but there have been some very serious issues as well. I was not prepared for them at all.

Visiting a place, even several times, even for extended period of times, is NOT the same as living and working someplace.

So, I've had a bit of a hard time as an immigrant, at times, and learned a lot that I did not know as a multi-long-term-visiter. And, therefore, I know that living someplace can be very different than what one expects it to be.

So, I am asking... and that is why he is not on this board, and this is why I am very grateful for ALL of the responses - THANK YOU ALL SOOOOO MUCH!!!!
Old Apr 19th 2014, 6:56 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WriterChick
I love Florida. I used to live there, in South Florida, and I am considering moving back with my English husband!!!
When did you live there? Being British isn't really a problem in southern Florida because there are so many British people about. Broward county has become a lot more latin in recent years, that's the main change I've noticed, plus it's gotten a lot more crowded. Still millions of retirees.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 7:00 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Many posting here do so because it gives them the opportunity to vent, spew and sound off - or to get a rise out of the goadable.
So, an internet forum then.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in South Florida. I was there from 1996 till late Sept of 2001. I went back home, to lower Manhattan, right after 9/11 happened. (For personal reasons related to 9/11.)

I owned a place in Miami, on 69th, with a view of South Beach - So, it was just over the causeway from South Beach.

Well, first I rented in South Beach, when I first moved down there, in an area called South of 5th St. Or, SoFi.

Then, I was in Hollywood, while I was looking to buy a place, in order to save some more money. I think I lived there for six months, at most.

Then I found the place I wanted to buy, and I moved to 69th St, so back Miami, but mainland, not on South Beach.

I liked living in Miami. I speak Spanish. I love the beach. I love the humidity. Florida gives good sky!
I still have several friends who live there... But, I'm older now, and I want a different lifestyle. It got really busy there WHILE I lived there - it was very different when I first arrived. South of 5th was a sleepy little beach town with cute, affordable apartments, and very few tourists. Now it is all luxury hotels. All of Miami Beach is even busier than it was when I left.
It has also gotten very expensive there.

I was there for three month in the summer of 2010, and I was stunned by the rent prices on South Beach!

I'm thinking of moving to either Ft Lauderdale, or Palm Beach, or maybe even West Palm Beach, into a gated community.

My mother lived in Del Ray Beach, and then in Boca, so I would drive up there sometimes, and we would go to Ft Lauderdale and Palm Beach fairly regularly, so I knew those areas fairly well.

I'm sure it has changed a bit! Everything always does...
Old Apr 19th 2014, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

To be fair, in the UK, with people in London, all of them adults, and most of them university educated professionals, I have had MANY experiences that are similar to the ones mentioned above! So, I know this stuff just... Happens. It happens EVERYWHERE.

"You are from NYC? Do you ever hang out in Texas? I know a guy named Bill in Texas who owns a bar... Maybe you know him?"

"Why don't they celebrate Guy Fawkes Night in America? America was settled by the English. That makes no sense!"

"Have you ever been shot?"

"Why do you live here?" (My husband is from here) "Yeah but why don't you both live in America?" (my in laws are here) "Can't they move to America with you?" (they like it here and it is their home) "They don't want to move to America?" (no) "Are they afraid to go to America?" (no, they have been many times) "Then why don't they want to move to America?" (they like it here and it is their home) "Are you going to move back to America?" (I don't know)

MOST COMMON ARE:

"Are you Canadian?"

"Americans can easily come over and live and work in the UK, but when WE want to immigrate to America, they won't let us do it!"

"Why are Americans so fat?"

"You don't look American."

"You don't look Jewish."

"Why are Americans always so loud?"

"Did you own a gun in America?"

"Why is America so racist?"

"I've never been to America but I don't like America."

"You are not pronouncing that word correctly."

I mostly just smile at people, and shrug, when that sort of thing happens... I mostly just don't even bother getting into it with them anymore... And I've had things like that said to me in many OTHER countries as well. Sadly, some people, in all countries and of all nationalities, just don't think before they speak!

INCLUDING MANY AMERICANS!!!
Old Apr 19th 2014, 12:19 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

In Orlando, they don't blink at a different accent. It's like a melting pot here. Unfortunately they do tend to assume you are a tourist though. I've lost count how many times shop assistants have asked me "where are you visiting us from today?" or "how long are you on vacation for?" I even got asked that at the vets when I was there with my dog in tow

Overall I've found everyone I've met in FL to be extremely friendly and laid back.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 12:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... "I've never been to America but I don't like America." ....
Sounds like my mother.

Also, my mother, after the future Mrs P first visited: " She's a really nice girl, it's almost like she's not American at all."

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 19th 2014 at 12:27 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 12:24 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue

Overall I've found everyone I've met in FL to be extremely friendly and laid back.
I'm not sure I would describe Ray as "laid back" exactly.

Unless he's lying back with a packet of hob nobs.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 12:32 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I'm not sure I would describe Ray as "laid back" exactly.

Unless he's lying back with a packet of hob nobs.
I haven't had that pleasure yet, but I have been forewarned about the hob nobs I intend to go with as many as I can find
Old Apr 19th 2014, 12:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I haven't had that pleasure yet, but I have been forewarned about the hob nobs I intend to go with as many as I can find
Yes, best to be on the safe side. Keep him placated.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

I totally forgot to mention my FAVOURITE conversation!!!!

I have this conversation ALL OF THE TIME here!!!

I'm told that 'Americans always make the British into villains in their films and TV shows' ALL OF THE TIME.

And I say that Hugh Grant and Minnie Driver ALWAYS play the romantic love interest, not villains (there are many other examples), and I say that MANY British people often play AMERICAN characters in American films and on American TV shows, and I usually mention 'House' as an example (again, there are many other examples). And then I point out that even when they DO use a British actor to play a villain, the character is almost always a Genius villain! The moronic villains are usually played by Americans.

And they are like, 'Oh, yeah, I guess that's true...'

And then, I say, 'You rarely get Americans playing British characters in British films or on British TV' and then they always tell me that it is because Americans can't do the accents...

So, then I mention the chick from Fawlty Towers as one of the exceptions, and they are often shocked she is American... Because they couldn't tell... 'But she sounded British!"

And then I say, 'Most Americans on British TV are playing characters that are rude, stupid, loud, or all three (of which there are many examples)!'

And they think about that for a few seconds, and change the subject, or just stop talking to me!

THIS CONVERSATION HAPPENS ALL OF THE TIME!!!
Old Apr 19th 2014, 12:52 pm

I totally forgot to mention my FAVOURITE conversation!!!!

I have this conversation ALL OF THE TIME here!!!

I'm told that 'Americans always make the British into villains in their films and TV shows' ALL OF THE TIME.

And I say that Hugh Grant and Minnie Driver ALWAYS play the romantic love interest, not villains (there are many other examples), and I say that MANY British people often play AMERICAN characters in American films and on American TV shows, and I usually mention 'House' as an example (again, there are many other examples). And then I point out that even when they DO use a British actor to play a villain, the character is almost always a Genius villain! The moronic villains are usually played by Americans.

And they are like, 'Oh, yeah, I guess that's true...'

And then, I say, 'You rarely get Americans playing British characters in British films or on British TV' and then they always tell me that it is because Americans can't do the accents...

So, then I mention the chick from Fawlty Towers as one of the exceptions, and they are often shocked she is American... Because they couldn't tell... 'But she sounded British!"

And then I say, 'Most Americans on British TV are playing characters that are rude, stupid, loud, or all three (of which there are many examples)!'

And they think about that for a few seconds, and change the subject, or just stop talking to me!

THIS CONVERSATION HAPPENS ALL OF THE TIME!!!

I would just change the subject and start complaining about the French instead. Something everyone can agree on.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmm... um... No.

I am fine with France, and the French. I'm also fine with the British!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.