Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any British on here who are living in Florida?

Any British on here who are living in Florida?

Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:37 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British on here who are living in Florida?

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
always some banter around July 4th but in good fun
I just tell everyone we call it "Good Riddance Day" in the UK, that gets some interesting responses at times!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:38 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Three times a day isn't unusual, though I have now been here 12 years, and my accent doesn't appear to have changed much, but then it hadn't changed since I was 8 years old when my family left Sheffield.
I feel sorry for you, that must be a terrible affliction.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

) or slightly daft questions, "have I met the queen?"

lol get that one, just love the reaction when I can reply...only 3 times
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
I just tell everyone we call it "Good Riddance Day" in the UK, that gets some interesting responses at times!

if I get the 'do you mind we kicked you out' version I hit back with ' well you did it because you didn't want to pay taxes and guess what...you still do AND you got Clinton and Obama , so I reckon we came out better off........ that's causes the grumps
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I tell them it's when we celebrate Thanksgiving, apart from the first time I was asked that question, when I was flabbergasted that anyone would ask if we celebrate 4th July in Britain?
I feel sorry for you, that must be a terrible affliction.
I was expecting something, but more along the lines of congratulations on leaving Sheffield.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 18th 2014 at 1:46 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so you do get nasty comments about 4th of July and the like?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:52 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by WriterChick
I have a question about how British immigrants are generally received in the state of Florida. Just to be clear: I'm not attempting to insinuate anything about either Americans or the British, or Florida state residents.

I love Florida. I used to live there, in South Florida, and I am considering moving back with my English husband!!!

I'm just attempting to gather as much information as possible before making such a big decision.

If you are British, and living and working in Florida, I'd like to know how you are generally received...

Have you experienced any negative social issues or negative economic issues based on your nationality of origin, or any positive social experiences or positive economic experiences, based on your nationality of origin?

My view and assumption would be that the British are well received, in general, in all of America, based on the reported experiences of my British friends and family members. But, I'm American born, so what do I really know?! Maybe they would not tell me even if it were not actually the case, because I'm American... They may be afraid of offending me, or hurting my feelings. It wouldn't offend me or hurt my feelings though. But, they might fear that it could.

I do hope I've not inadvertently offended anyone by asking. Please believe me, it is not my intention! I'm simply aware that my perception of the situation, many situations, is not guaranteed to be the reality.

So, I figured maybe on here, where people can answer anonymously, they would feel more open to share any and all experiences without worrying about hurting my feelings.

And, I know that we all have positive and negative experiences all the time, regardless of nationality and geographic location!

And... I'm NOT easily offended at all.

So, British expats/immigrants in Florida... Do they 'looooove your accent'?

How is it going for you in sunny Florida? I'd love to know!!!

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my strange question!

(Please don't think I'm trying to be offensive! I'm really, really NOT!)
I have had no negativity at all (unless behind my back) I have found Americans to be warm, friendly and accepting I do get the occasional person trying to talk like me or a quip about the revolutionary war but its all in jest

on the other side of the coin-I hate the humidity for months on end, the gun culture and no seasons , and Florida is flat as a pancake, no scenery.
Im not a "Beach person" and the jobs are not as well paid down here.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

have you ever been up near Ocala and further north ? theres some nice scenery up there , but for me the beaches compensate for the flatness round here
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so you do get nasty comments about 4th of July and the like?
Nope, not all. The informed might ask what we make of it (grilled food, cold beer, nice weather, what's not to like? ), a minority ask daft questions that demonstrate their own profound ignorance of the basics of the history of the US.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, not all. The informed might ask what we make of it (grilled food, cold beer, nice weather, what's not to like? ), a minority ask daft questions that demonstrate their own profound ignorance of the basics of the history of the US.
Yes, certainly not nasty, just playful. I have been asked what Britain does on the 4th of July, as if we would commemorate such an occasion.

I have been told that the UK lost the war of 1812 too, I guess that's what they're taught.

Last edited by Lord PercyPercy; Apr 18th 2014 at 2:08 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:41 pm
Northern Monkey!

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy
Yes, certainly not nasty, just playful. I have been asked what Britain does on the 4th of July, as if we would commemorate such an occasion.

I have been told that the UK lost the war of 1812 too, I guess that's what they're taught.
Have you ever been to St Augustine and ridden the trolley bus? Heard tales of the famous British pirate - Sir Francis Drake?

I have been asked what kind of food we have for Thanksgiving over there?!
I usually stand there and stare at them with a puzzled smile on my face, they eventually get there on their own, well most of the time.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

HA! Thank you both for the responses!

What does the 'performing seal' comment mean? You are a novelty? They give you too much attention? Is that because of the accent?
Accent and colloquialisms.

They are nice to us, not sure we're actually seen as equals. Fairly high on the pecking order of immigrants though.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

WriterChick...

As a fellow-American my advice is: Get off these boards for now!

Make your move (or don't). And if you do - come back once you've begun your new life - and can assess what people are posting thru the lens of your own experience.
Because if you're going to make a life-altering decision based on what people post here - then you're lost even before you set out.

FWIW: My British husband loves it here.....far more than me. And he's in a rare position which allows him to live anywhere in the world he chooses. Many posting here do so because it gives them the opportunity to vent, spew and sound off - or to get a rise out of the goadable. Take it with a grain of salt. The contented ones tend not to post on these subjects.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD
.... And he's in a rare position which allows him to live anywhere in the world he chooses. .....
Does he have some sort of universal visa?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
WriterChick...

As a fellow-American my advice is: Get off these boards for now!

Make your move (or don't). And if you do - come back once you've begun your new life - and can assess what people are posting thru the lens of your own experience.
Because if you're going to make a life-altering decision based on what people post here - then you're lost even before you set out.

FWIW: My British husband loves it here.....far more than me. And he's in a rare position which allows him to live anywhere in the world he chooses. Many posting here do so because it gives them the opportunity to vent, spew and sound off - or to get a rise out of the goadable. Take it with a grain of salt. The contented ones tend not to post on these subjects.
I was thinking it would be good if WriterChick's husband joined BE himself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.