Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Considering move to Minnesota

Considering move to Minnesota

Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering move to Minnesota

As others have said regarding the Minnesoooooooootan winters.

I've been there 3 times so far and am movign there next month.
The summer I had was record high temps.
The other two times were in March to May and Nov to Jan.
I managed to shovel/blow more snow in those two visits than I've seen during my 40+ years in the Midlands, UK.
I also saw temperatures lower than I thought it was possible to survive.
So yes an extra jumper would be good.

One time we were in the city and it was pretty easy to cope with.
Now we're out in the sticks and it's far harder but do-able.
But it's a much nicer cold, not the miserable grey crap we get in the UK.

Oh and where I'm moving to (80 miles west of the Twin Cities) they've just had a foot of snow today.
The in-laws live 150 miles north adn the winters there are as harsh and brutal as has been mentioned.

Apparently Minneapolis has one of the best 'quality of life' in the US.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 2:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or you can just watch the new series of Fargo.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Or you can just watch the new series of Fargo.
Starts here this weekend.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 12:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonion
..... Oh and where I'm moving to (80 miles west of the Twin Cities) they've just had a foot of snow today.
The in-laws live 150 miles north and the winters there are as harsh and brutal as has been mentioned. ......
And Canada is almost entirely north of Minnesota! This post should be repeated over in the Maple Leaf forum for anyone thinking about moving to non-littoral Canada.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonion
As others have said regarding the Minnesoooooooootan winters.

I've been there 3 times so far and am movign there next month.
The summer I had was record high temps.
The other two times were in March to May and Nov to Jan.
I managed to shovel/blow more snow in those two visits than I've seen during my 40+ years in the Midlands, UK.
I also saw temperatures lower than I thought it was possible to survive.
So yes an extra jumper would be good.

One time we were in the city and it was pretty easy to cope with.
Now we're out in the sticks and it's far harder but do-able.

Oh and where I'm moving to (80 miles west of the Twin Cities) they've just had a foot of snow today.
The in-laws live 150 miles north adn the winters there are as harsh and brutal as has been mentioned.

Apparently Minneapolis has one of the best 'quality of life' in the US.

I've heard that so many times and then people are surprised how grey it gets in other places too. You suddenly leave the UK when you have a few miserable years and then it's record highs in the UK.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

That doesn't apply in my case at all.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Pack an extra cardi'? I think a lot of Minnesotans deal with winter by living here in Phoenix.
Yep they come in big old town cars, drive 55mph in the fast lane and always seem to decide to re-tune the radio whenever the traffic lights turn green
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:37 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

A comment on schools...

The quality of state-run high schools (Americans call them public schools) is very, very localized.

It depend where you live -- the city and even which part of the city. If you want a great school you will need to:

1. Pay for a private (for profit) school, or:

2. Do your homework and buy/rent a home with the catchment area of a really good state school.

Neither option is cheap because housing prices in areas with the best public schools typically carry a very substantial premium.

We went with the second option and have been very pleased with the manner in which it's all worked out.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
It depend where you live -- the city and even which part of the city. If you want a great school you will need to:

1. Pay for a private (for profit) school, or:
I disagree that private schools are automatically great.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:18 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I didn't say they were and indeed they are most certainly not.

Some public schools (including our local HS) are a lot better than many private schools.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Heated Garage is a good idea.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And Canada is almost entirely north of Minnesota! This post should be repeated over in the Maple Leaf forum for anyone thinking about moving to non-littoral Canada.

I'm saying nothing.......seeing as though I'm in Nova Scotia right now.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 9:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
"Or", he said "or".

As a paying customer you do have the option to shop around any school you want to whereas you options are limited/ very limited in the public school system, and are perpetually at the whim of changes in school assignment district and changes to the laws surrounding charter and "magnet" schools.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 7:34 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarian2230
1. If it just doesn't work out and we come back to the UK would my son be able to attend UK Uni with resident fees or would he pay international fees. Would he be able to get a grant?
He'd be non-resident, takes three years to become resident again I think but check. I know someone in this situation. What is making it even more complicated is they don't understand the US immigration system so they don't understand what "residency" means in the US, as far as I can tell.

2. My son would have missed the first year of US high school, is that a big deal. He is very bright and top of his school for most subjects, so I am assuming he would catch up fast but am I missing anything here?
Dunno.

3. Once we have Green cards I am assuming my son would qualify for US resident university tuition fees and government grants?
Look at: https://studentaid.ed.gov/eligibility/non-us-citizens answer is basically yes, but you're asking the wrong question, the question you need to ask is does he qualify for the resident tuition fees in the location where he is going to study - if he's an LPR then the answer is also yes, but he may also qualify on L-2, you would need to check, some States are awkward about this.

4. I have an ACA qualification and whilst it is equivalent to a CPA I don't think it is easy to gain a CPA qualification too. Would this limit my prospects for future employment in the US if I ever looked at moving companies
This is the HR checkbox, has applicant got a relevant degree? So if you've got a degree, get a letter from someone somewhere in officialdom that says it is the equivalent of xyz US degree. This will make job hunting a lot easier.

I have been to Minnesota a couple of times for work but admittedly in the summer, anyone on this forum in Minnesota and how do you deal with the winters?
I have a friend in Minnesota, we have a competition each winter to see who is having the worst winter. Do not underestimate the weather. Make sure where you are planning to live has decent insulation. Bear in mind when it gets really cold it is also really dry.

Just looked it up and Minneapolis has an average 156 days a year with temperatures below freezing and 13 days with temperatures above 30 C, so basically the Costa Del Sol compared to Calgary... (190 days a year with temperatures below freezing and 4 days with temperatures above 30 C).
Old Apr 24th 2014, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not sure if anyone here's seen some of the stuff I've been looking at. Such as the Minnesoootan thesaurus. Handy if you want ot have a clue what they're talking about.

Or how about this little poem.

It's winter in Minnesota
and the gentle breezes blow
at 70 miles per hour
and thirty-five below.

Oh, how I love Minnesota
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter air
and your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Minnesota
cos I'm frozen to the ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.