Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Considering move to Minnesota

Considering move to Minnesota

Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

sarian2230 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering move to Minnesota

Hello, this is my first post. I have the opportunity to apply for CFO role in Minnesota for our parent company. I am working in the UK as head of finance for the subsidiary company for 12 years. The CEO has said I would have a great shot at getting the job if I want it
I have taken advice and an L1a visa would seem to be the way forward with a view to a green card.
My husband and I have 2 kids aged 15 and 12
I have done a tonne of research and my main concern is my children and education. If we go I would need to have as part of the contract the agreement of my company to sponsor us for green cards otherwise the kids would need to come back to the UK at 21
I am looking at weighing up the risks for my family and could do with some help
1. If it just doesn't work out and we come back to the UK would my son be able to attend UK Uni with resident fees or would he pay international fees. Would he be able to get a grant?
2. My son would have missed the first year of US high school, is that a big deal. He is very bright and top of his school for most subjects, so I am assuming he would catch up fast but am I missing anything here?
3. Once we have Green cards I am assuming my son would qualify for US resident university tuition fees and government grants?
4. I have an ACA qualification and whilst it is equivalent to a CPA I don't think it is easy to gain a CPA qualification too. Would this limit my prospects for future employment in the US if I ever looked at moving companies

Sorry for the long post, just trying to look at all eventualities and have a plan B

I have been to Minnesota a couple of times for work but admittedly in the summer, anyone on this forum in Minnesota and how do you deal with the winters?

Many many thanks
Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering move to Minnesota

At an executive level, having an ACA but not a CPA would not be much of a handicap. The Finance Director of Wachovia Bank, who left in 2006 to become CEO of Mellon Bank, was a Canadian Chartered Accountant, and not having a CPA, didn't seem to have done his career any harm.

You should consider private schools for your children. Major cities have some very good private schools, and it takes a lot of the uncertainty out of education. Good schools aren't cheap, but IMO may be a worthwhile investment in your children's future.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 10th 2014 at 2:58 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I can't answer most of your questions, so hopefully someone will come along help out.

We moved to the US with my husband's company last year with our 12 yr dd. Although we are only here for 2 years, we may get the opportunity to stay longer and so I have had my eye on the university situation.

I do know that you would need to be resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of uni in order to take advantage of not only "home" fees but also the fact that tuition fees would not have to be paid upfront. I am assuming that this also applies to any UK student loans/grants - I believe these are also means-tested. A quick google search should provide all the necessary information in this respect.

I don't really know an awful lot about the US system except that there is not the scheme as in the UK with regards to tuition fees - I think tuition fees are paid at the time. Hopefully someone who had been through the process in the US can provide some more information.

Good luck!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really know an awful lot about the US system except that there is not the scheme as in the UK with regards to tuition fees - I think tuition fees are paid at the time. Hopefully someone who had been through the process in the US can provide some more information.
Basically you qualify or a scholarship (based on something - sports it seems for most Colleges), get a loan, or the parents cough up.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarian2230
I have been to Minnesota a couple of times for work but admittedly in the summer, anyone on this forum in Minnesota and how do you deal with the winters?
Pack an extra cardi'? I think a lot of Minnesotans deal with winter by living here in Phoenix.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I was raised in Northern Minnesota and the weather can be brutal (worse than much of Alaska) but the Twin Cities have milder winters. I have relatives that live in both Northern Minnesota as well as the Twin Cities and they don't mind the winters but I seldom visit during the winter.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 6:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
I do know that you would need to be resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of uni in order to take advantage of not only "home" fees but also the fact that tuition fees would not have to be paid upfront. I am assuming that this also applies to any UK student loans/grants - I believe these are also means-tested. A quick google search should provide all the necessary information in this respect.
This pretty much.

Saying that, if you're posted temporarily abroad for work, with a set return date, some people have been able to use that to get out of the 3 year requirement for home rates. You see it mentioned a lot in the ME/Asian forums, but these folks were posted for specific work projects with a set return and might be harder to blag for this.

As for US uni fees, would depend on the uni, some require you be greencard holders to get local rates, others just a year of resident in the state. Federal loans, need to be a green card holder to quality. That leaves any college based scholarships, business, religious or other local grant/loans/bursaries.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Basically you qualify or a scholarship (based on something - sports it seems for most Colleges), get a loan, or the parents cough up.
Yes - it's the "parents cough up" bit which is off-putting! No chance of any sort of sports scholarship as our DD does not do any sport (apart from what she is forced to do at school). Returning to the UK would make the most sense in our situation.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

If your child were to attend the University of Minnesota they would recieve a 33% reduction in fees or $4,277 saving over out of state students
FYI Here is their current year tuition fee estimate
http://onestop.umn.edu/finances/cost...nce/index.html
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
Yes - it's the "parents cough up" bit which is off-putting! No chance of any sort of sports scholarship as our DD does not do any sport (apart from what she is forced to do at school). Returning to the UK would make the most sense in our situation.
We pay upfront in 3 installments per year. The price can be put up (I think the price is locked in at the start of the course for students in the UK).

Federal loans for tuition are available to LPRs. The max we can get is $7,500 pa (not sure if that's the max available, or based on income).
Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:40 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

2. My son would have missed the first year of US high school, is that a big deal. He is very bright and top of his school for most subjects, so I am assuming he would catch up fast but am I missing anything here?
Missing freshman year is not necessarily a bad thing socially. The only academic 'hit' he would take is that some of the courses his freshman year are prerequisites for courses his sophomore or junior year.

To generalize, at many US high schools you learn a subject per year, say "Algebra". This can be everything from introductory concepts up to A-levels, all in one year. Then the next year Geometry. Then the next Calculus, etc. In comparison, again generalizing, in the UK you'll learn a bit of algebra, a bit of geometry, a bit of calculus one year, then some more the next, then some more the next.

This doesn't mean it is insurmountable, just a bit different and something to prepare for. The exact specifics of what was covered in his new school is so localized based on the city, school district, school and teachers that it is hard to say where he will be on the academic path at that school.

I would recommend getting not only his transcripts but any curriculum guides, even some homework so when he enters the school they'll be better able to assess what courses he has had and what courses he may need.

3. Once we have Green cards I am assuming my son would qualify for US resident university tuition fees and government grants?
Residency is a state-by-state issue, independent of the federal definitions of "green card". In some states even undocumented immigrants (aka 'illegals') are allowed in-state tuition benefits.

As for grants and scholarships, there are some for green card holders, but the vast majority are reserved for citizens. Can be pretty pricey.

If you are thinking of returning to the UK for university you might want to see if you can find a school offering the IB program which is a bit more recognized in the UK than the standard US program.

I should also note that, again generally speaking, Minnesota is recognized as having some good schools. You should definitely pay attention to the schools while selecting a house as location is VERY important, but overall Minnesota scores pretty well on the rankings nationwide.

Here is our primer on schools:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Educat...s_in_school%3F
Old Apr 15th 2014, 10:56 am
Just Joined

lovetoski is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, this is my first post on here and I have a confession - I am actually a US expat in the UK - but I am moving my British husband and son back home soon which happens to be the Twin Cities, so perhaps I can help!

You learn to cope with MN winters and if you are outdoorsy this is a lot easier. Minnesotans love to snowshoe, cross country ski, downhill ski, ice skate, snowmobile, and ice fish - pretty much anything you can do on snow or ice we love it! If you are working or living downtown Mpls/St Paul there are skyways so you don't have to go outside during the day to get to meetings/lunch. And generally speaking the local government are extremely good at keeping the roads safe so travel is safe and quick.

Someone posted that schools in MN are good and this is true. There are also lots of schools which offer IB, which is what I did and I would highly recommend this. Top school districts are Mounds View, Mahtomedi and Edina for public school. There are great private schools too depending on your budget. Sorry I can't help with the University fees question, but I can tell you that MN has reciprocity with Iowa, Wisconsin, and the Dakotas so if your children went to university in those states they still receive in-state fees, and MN has more higher education institutes than other metro areas and many of them are top programs, such as the Carlson School of Management at the UofM, and the medical programs at the U of M. I hope it goes smooth for you!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovetoski
Hi, this is my first post on here and I have a confession - I am actually a US expat in the UK - but I am moving my British husband and son back home soon which happens to be the Twin Cities, so perhaps I can help!

You learn to cope with MN winters and if you are outdoorsy this is a lot easier. Minnesotans love to snowshoe, cross country ski, downhill ski, ice skate, snowmobile, and ice fish - pretty much anything you can do on snow or ice we love it! If you are working or living downtown Mpls/St Paul there are skyways so you don't have to go outside during the day to get to meetings/lunch. And generally speaking the local government are extremely good at keeping the roads safe so travel is safe and quick.

Someone posted that schools in MN are good and this is true. There are also lots of schools which offer IB, which is what I did and I would highly recommend this. Top school districts are Mounds View, Mahtomedi and Edina for public school. There are great private schools too depending on your budget. Sorry I can't help with the University fees question, but I can tell you that MN has reciprocity with Iowa, Wisconsin, and the Dakotas so if your children went to university in those states they still receive in-state fees, and MN has more higher education institutes than other metro areas and many of them are top programs, such as the Carlson School of Management at the UofM, and the medical programs at the U of M. I hope it goes smooth for you!
Minnesota has good public schools so a private school I think would be a waste of money. You'd be better off taking the private high school money and saving it for his/her college years. Yes if you stay in the States Minnesota has reciprocity with other states which are cheaper than Minnesota. Also grants, scholarships (non athletic) and loans are available depending on the school. If a student wants to go to college in the US the universities will work it out that they can.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Minnesota a couple of times for work but admittedly in the summer, anyone on this forum in Minnesota and how do you deal with the winters?
You stay the hell inside - That's what you do.........Oh, and buy a decent snowblower, for the Son to use.

Jim (Just below Minnesota, in Iowa)
Old Apr 17th 2014, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

MidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well Done You !

Brit Chartered Accountants are littered all over the US but mainly and obviously on the east and west coast, but there are some sturdy pioneers who have blazed their own trail.
You can join the Association here at... http://www.acaus.org and they will tell you everything you need to know about ACA/CPA issues.
I think North Dakota is the last frontier and you could move there and form your own Chapter.

Personally, if I was young enough, which I'm not...I would take the CPA exam. You don't need to be tied to some archaic articles or slave labor training contract to do it either .. Welcome to the Land of the Free !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.