Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bournemouth - best areas to live

Bournemouth - best areas to live

Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bournemouth - best areas to live

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I was in Bournemouth last week for the first time in twenty years and I have to say I was a bit disappointed...
I remember it being the hip place to go with lots of boutiques and cafes and clubs. This was in the early 90's mind you.
Last week it seemed a bit well...scruffy and provincial. All the trendy little shops and cafes I remember had gone.
I go to Brighton quite a bit and that town is still very buzzy and continental feeling. Bournemouth sadly was a bit well...blah.
But I walked along the pier, wonderful views.
I guess it all depends on what you want out of life, Bournemouth is a beautiful retirement place and I have fond memories of it's trendy heyday.
Bournemouth? Trendy heyday? Surely not.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I know, hard to believe, it did have this cool, studenty vibe back in the 90's. We used to flock there for the clubs and shopping.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in dorset all my life a mere 21 years! I grew up in Burton which is a little village 5 minutes in the car from Christchurch town and 20 minutes to Bournemouth (depending on traffic) . It is a great place to live to either retire or bring up children.... It has two corner shops , two pubs, church, and 1 little school. I now live in Bournemouth and Hate it!
My "own" opinion is everyone is in a rush and rude.... I have a new born baby and am used to holding the door for people for example...well I could end up standing there all day no one says thank you or stops to let you in! Driving a car is also a nightmare as people cut you up.. hate letting you out etc. Burton has a nice old feel well people say morning to each other and have little fetes throughout the year, you'll end up knowing alot of people. When I go back there its like a breath of fresh air. Buy hey I am biased!

I would like to try out somewhere else we are hoping to go to Canada , if it didn't work out I would move back to Burton.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 7:31 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

i moved back to dorset after 20 years in aussie too , only two issues i have an issue with and thats the weather and work ,other than that i dont think of aussie at all just go about my daily routine and certainly dont think of somewhere else all the time like i did when i was in aussie .
As the other posters have stated it depends on really what your budget is, good luck .
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:07 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissyb
I have lived in dorset all my life a mere 21 years! I grew up in Burton which is a little village 5 minutes in the car from Christchurch town and 20 minutes to Bournemouth (depending on traffic) . It is a great place to live to either retire or bring up children.... It has two corner shops , two pubs, church, and 1 little school. I now live in Bournemouth and Hate it!
My "own" opinion is everyone is in a rush and rude.... I have a new born baby and am used to holding the door for people for example...well I could end up standing there all day no one says thank you or stops to let you in! Driving a car is also a nightmare as people cut you up.. hate letting you out etc. Burton has a nice old feel well people say morning to each other and have little fetes throughout the year, you'll end up knowing alot of people. When I go back there its like a breath of fresh air. Buy hey I am biased!

I would like to try out somewhere else we are hoping to go to Canada , if it didn't work out I would move back to Burton.
just thought i would say hi, we lived in bransgore, before moving to canada 2.5 yrs ago small world

To the OP we lived in Southbourne and Ensbury park, have a lot of family in Ferndown, Wimborne, Ringwood area's, there are good and bad places, like someone else said, not a huge fan of Poole and Bmth has places you really need to avoid, unfortunately the nice places to live are just far too expensive, hence what drove a lot of our move to Canada, Salisbury is a fab place, but expensive again

Bmth reputation has sadly gone very down hill over the last number of years
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

to Johnny T- what is the economy like for someone in skilled trades?

Just curious....

I lived in Poole for over 30 years before moving to Canada in 2002. As I get older the home country is like a magnet!
Old Dec 14th 2011, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
just thought i would say hi, we lived in bransgore, before moving to canada 2.5 yrs ago small world

To the OP we lived in Southbourne and Ensbury park, have a lot of family in Ferndown, Wimborne, Ringwood area's, there are good and bad places, like someone else said, not a huge fan of Poole and Bmth has places you really need to avoid, unfortunately the nice places to live are just far too expensive, hence what drove a lot of our move to Canada, Salisbury is a fab place, but expensive again

Bmth reputation has sadly gone very down hill over the last number of years
What a small world! I used to keep my horse In bransgore/ripley and sopley!
How are you finding Canada?