Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How big was your.....

How big was your.....

Old Sep 4th 2004, 11:04 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough
Question How big was your.....

Container, if you rented one, to take all your worldly posessions out to Canada?

We are looking at a 20 footer, and I think that will be big enough, but the other half isn't sure.

If you have any input, please let me know.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 11:35 pm
squarepants

Default Re: How big was your.....

We don't know what you have lifty, I suppose the mrs has loads of shoes that she want to pack in there eh?

Originally Posted by liftman
Container, if you rented one, to take all your worldly posessions out to Canada?

We are looking at a 20 footer, and I think that will be big enough, but the other half isn't sure.

If you have any input, please let me know.

Old Sep 4th 2004, 11:44 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by squarepants
We don't know what you have lifty, ]
Yes, but yours looks twice as big as the one I want....
Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Ours was the size of the one in the pics. above and was near enough completely full. We had a 3 bed house, 2 adults, 2 kids.

Dread to think what size we would need to make the return journey!

HTH
Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:46 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

We bought a 40ft container which has a car inside it and all our furniture (incl. 4 sofas) and all my horse tack and rugs (for 10 horses), barbecue and patio furniture etc and we still have loads of room inside it. The only thing we aren't taking is beds and we didn't have any bedroom furniture as ours was all built in.

40 ft is quite a lot of space and most people I know who have emigrated have moved quite comfortably in a 20ft container. Hope this is of some use to you.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Padsnbon is an unknown quantity at this point

We are so down on the time scale that maybe I shouldn't comment, but we have moved twice in the last 2 years from one part of the UK to the other and all our worldly goods fitted into a normal size removals wagon and ours is a 3 bed house, two adults and one teenager,.....how small do those things go to.....
Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Bozlyone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

We moved over in May and took the decision to move as little as possible. We sold as much as we could in the UK and started a fresh in Edmonton. The only things we had shipped over were winter clothes, kids toys, pictures and a few other boxes of personal items i.e. crystal glasses, crockery etc.

The money we saved on shipping and the proceeds from selling the other items was enough to furnish our new house (within reason).

You will find out that practically everything is a lot cheaper over here, electrical items, furniture, kids toys, bikes. We shipped over 2 childrens mountain bikes which had cost about 150 quid each. They took about 7 weeks to get here. I could have bought new ones at most of the stores for $150 !! and they would have had them immediatley.

My advice would be to take as little as possible.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 2:07 pm
squarepants

And what a good advice it is too. People just want to bring everything they have, so they won't have to buy new here. You will find that those things are cheaper here, and money from the sale back home, will go a long way here.

My mountain bike here with all bells and whistle, was a lot cheaper than the one I had in the UK. I brought the multi-regional dvd player of course, because most of my collections were region 2, and the player will play anything you put in it, including the recent dvds have been burning onto blank dvd/rws

Originally Posted by Bozlyone
Hi there,

We moved over in May and took the decision to move as little as possible. We sold as much as we could in the UK and started a fresh in Edmonton. The only things we had shipped over were winter clothes, kids toys, pictures and a few other boxes of personal items i.e. crystal glasses, crockery etc.

The money we saved on shipping and the proceeds from selling the other items was enough to furnish our new house (within reason).

You will find out that practically everything is a lot cheaper over here, electrical items, furniture, kids toys, bikes. We shipped over 2 childrens mountain bikes which had cost about 150 quid each. They took about 7 weeks to get here. I could have bought new ones at most of the stores for $150 !! and they would have had them immediatley.

My advice would be to take as little as possible.

Old Sep 5th 2004, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

We're currently looking at shipping hubby's things over and not sure where to start! He's not planning to bring much (furniture will be sold) but more than we would like to take as extra baggage on the plane! The only thing we plan on taking onto the plane is the multi-regional DVD player/recorder we'll purchase in the UK - from what we've researched, the prices are lower even with exchange (part of the $700+ duty free allowed). Besides... haven't run across a multi-regional one in our area.

Can anyone recommend a shipping company that would handle smaller amounts? If you can give any information about the procedures and how you received your goods on this side... sure would be appreciated!!!

Oggy & Nessie
Old Sep 5th 2004, 4:51 pm
squarepants

Why should the player dvd be duty free? Can't you just take it out of the box, and pretend he had be using it for a while? I won't think there are many multi-regional dvd player stores in the okanagan valley

You can check china town though, the one in our bedroom was bought from china town in Toronto, but the one in the living room, was the one I brought over from the UK ( toshiba ), plays everything, even copied dvds from blockbusters

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
We're currently looking at shipping hubby's things over and not sure where to start! He's not planning to bring much (furniture will be sold) but more than we would like to take as extra baggage on the plane! The only thing we plan on taking onto the plane is the multi-regional DVD player/recorder we'll purchase in the UK - from what we've researched, the prices are lower even with exchange (part of the $700+ duty free allowed). Besides... haven't run across a multi-regional one in our area.

Can anyone recommend a shipping company that would handle smaller amounts? If you can give any information about the procedures and how you received your goods on this side... sure would be appreciated!!!

Oggy & Nessie

Old Sep 5th 2004, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Bozlyone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NessieOggy

Oggy & Nessie
I bought 2 multiplayer dvd players on ebay for the children, they were about $50 each. Dont have all the bells and whistles but plays everything, CDRs DVDs all regions etc. I purchased a DVD recorder from Futureshop for $299, the good thing was that it was very easy to make it region free. It is worth checking the products out here before buying and shipping over.

Cheeers

Paul
Old Sep 5th 2004, 4:58 pm
squarepants

A dvd recorder, not a burner then, and if so, does it play dvd+RW and dvd-RW, dvd-r, dvd+r? Best buy does an extenal dvd burner dvd+rw/dvd-rw ( usb ) for $156.

I doubt your $50 dvd from ebay will play copied blank dvds.

Originally Posted by Bozlyone
I bought 2 multiplayer dvd players on ebay for the children, they were about $50 each. Dont have all the bells and whistles but plays everything, CDRs DVDs all regions etc. I purchased a DVD recorder from Futureshop for $299, the good thing was that it was very easy to make it region free. It is worth checking the products out here before buying and shipping over.

Cheeers

Paul

Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the info on the DVD players/recorders, guys!

I may have to create a new thread... but can anyone answer some of our questions about shipping goods?

Cheers

Oggy