Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Foreign TV and movies in the UK?

Foreign TV and movies in the UK?

Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Foreign TV and movies in the UK?

Lovefilm is so sh*te. It has fewer foreign movies and TV programs than I used to get with Netflix in the US!

Any clues as to good sources for renting or viewing foreign TV and movies in the UK?

I don't have cable internet and my wireless is slow as molasses, so any streaming media is not an option. I also don't particularly want to download movies onto my laptop for the same reason (takes too long).

I tried two other DVD rental companies before and they weren't great either. It seems the number of options has decreased in the past couple of years because Amazon (maybe?) is taking over existing companies.

I keep finding really interesting movies and TV programs but can't access them. Grrr.

Thank you for suggestions!
Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign TV and movies in the UK?

Bugger about the streaming, because I was going to suggest Netflix and using a VPN to pop into which every country you're interested in and access NF from that country as you'd get that countries catalogue via the VPN.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I use Tunnelbear which gives me telly from Japan, France, Germany, UK, Oz and 3 others... Netflix has plenty of foreign stuff for me to watch. As we discussed pivately I'm about ready to watch Spiral all over again..
Old Nov 26th 2013, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
I use Tunnelbear which gives me telly from Japan, France, Germany, UK, Oz and 3 others... Netflix has plenty of foreign stuff for me to watch. As we discussed pivately I'm about ready to watch Spiral all over again..
Fulwood, I use Tunnelbear to watch ITV and BBC iPlayer. How do you use it to watch TV from all those different countries?
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Fulwood, I use Tunnelbear to watch ITV and BBC iPlayer. How do you use it to watch TV from all those different countries?
You flip the switch to select those countries...

When you log into Netflix, you get that countries catalogue...

But none of this really helps dunroving much because of the bandwidth of his internet connection.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You flip the switch to select those countries...

When you log into Netflix, you get that countries catalogue...

But none of this really helps dunroving much because of the bandwidth of his internet connection.
Thank you! Now I see it

I had it fixed on UK and never thought to go back and see what other countries were there.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 2:17 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I don't have cable internet and my wireless is slow as molasses, so any streaming media is not an option. I also don't particularly want to download movies onto my laptop for the same reason (takes too long).
If you're that keen, then maybe pay the extra necessary.

Typically it takes two to five minutes to download a TV episode or full movie. I have a ton of stuff lined up to watch.

I had it fixed on UK and never thought to go back and see what other countries were there.
Sounds good if you're multilingual. I'm afraid I need sub titles.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 6:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't pay any more for internet as I have the top package from BT already.

It's my location that's the problem - not sure if we are too far from the exchange but download speeds are pathetic. No cable service here either, so I'm stuck with the telephone line.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Lovefilm is so sh*te. It has fewer foreign movies and TV programs than I used to get with Netflix in the US!

Any clues as to good sources for renting or viewing foreign TV and movies in the UK?

I tried two other DVD rental companies before and they weren't great either. It seems the number of options has decreased in the past couple of years because Amazon (maybe?) is taking over existing companies.

I keep finding really interesting movies and TV programs but can't access them. Grrr.

Thank you for suggestions!
This is one issue I'd like to know more about because, once settled in the UK, I want to work on the business I began two years ago and have been too depressed recently to do much with. Anyway, I would need a decent Internet speed with full and fairly fast uploading and downloading capability. Does that exist in the UK and, if so, how much would it cost?

Im not talking about a full blown business line that costs thousands but, rather, the fastest home speed that can be afforded.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 12:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

This is one issue I'd like to know more about because, once settled in the UK, I want to work on the business I began two years ago and have been too depressed recently to do much with. Anyway, I would need a decent Internet speed with full and fairly fast uploading and downloading capability. Does that exist in the UK and, if so, how much would it cost?

Im not talking about a full blown business line that costs thousands but, rather, the fastest home speed that can be afforded.
Of course it exists. Just anywhere though, quality and cost depends on location.