Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

So we have our interviews in San Antonio on 19th August and with this debt crisis looming I am beginning to wonder it the US does default, will that affect that date. From what I am reading , from next Wednesday numerous government offices will be closed until the situation is resolved. If they do close and re=open before the 19th, do you think they will honor that date and reschedule the interviews affected by the shut down

2: what is the usual time frame between interview and oath date. We have been putting off visiting my parents and my FIL whilst we were doing this process. 3: Can we leave the country between the interview and the oath ceremony?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
So we have our interviews in San Antonio on 19th August and with this debt crisis looming I am beginning to wonder it the US does default, will that affect that date. From what I am reading , from next Wednesday numerous government offices will be closed until the situation is resolved. If they do close and re=open before the 19th, do you think they will honor that date and reschedule the interviews affected by the shut down

2: what is the usual time frame between interview and oath date. We have been putting off visiting my parents and my FIL whilst we were doing this process. 3: Can we leave the country between the interview and the oath ceremony?
1 - I think with the previous budget crisis earlier this year, it was determined that USCIS is self financing to a limited extent.

2 - varies by location, some do same day others wait until they have enough to do a big ceremony.

3 - I think you can still travel before the oath, I know someone who postponed their oath because they had a business trip overseas. Afterward you would need a US passport.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the quick reply. Fingers crossed and hope they manage to bang their heads together to fix this problem before next week.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:19 pm
Your Fellow American

Scotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to all

The general consensus seems to be that neither party would consider it politically expedient to be seen as the ones who were responsible. My guess is that the republicans are trying to railroad Obama into appearing to be the one who is obstructing things and Obama is trying to find a way for this not to re-appear just before the elections next year.

I'll put money on the can being kicked down the road within 24 hours.. How far down the road remains to be seen
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Mick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud of

USCIS is funded by the fees. They are high enough.

Went for my Wifes Green Card interview 7/19/11 Tuesday.
Letter arrived 7/25/11 Monday

WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA It was mailed on the 20th.

Green card will come in the mail! Quick or what!

Letter says carry GC at all times? Is photo copy a good idea?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:53 pm
Your Fellow American

Scotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to all

I never carried my green card at all Mick unless I was traveling. It is unlikely that anyone will ever ask to see it in anywhere else but airports anyway. If she loses her purse the hassle will be worse than saying "I'll just pop home and get it"
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Mick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scotz
I never carried my green card at all Mick unless I was traveling. It is unlikely that anyone will ever ask to see it in anywhere else but airports anyway. If she loses her purse the hassle will be worse than saying "I'll just pop home and get it"
That's what it came to, leave it in safe, carry photo copy. Thanks Scotz.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Became a US citizen yesterday!

It was huge ceremony in Lowell Auditorium. 760 of us! I got there at 9:15 as requested and the judge began official proceedings at 12:30, so rather a lot of sitting around while they staggered the checking in process.

Once things got going, the judge did a nice speech. His grandparents were immigrants and he said how his grandfather went to kindergarten at 15 due to speaking no English. His grandchildren went on to become a doctor, lawyer and of course... a judge. He said, as his mother always said, "only in America".

So approx timeline (some months may be a little off) from start to finish of the immigration process:

July 2001 Applied for J-1 visa
Aug 2001 Received J-1 visa
Sept 2001 Entered the US and began work as an intern
Sept 2002 Given full time position at same company and H-1B visa
June 2004 Married USC
Sept 2005 Receiving marriage based conditional greencard
2007 Made potential mistake of taking job back in UK (a little faffing about with re-entry permits)
Sept 2007 Applied for removal of conditions from the UK
Oct 2007 Travelled over for finger printing
Jan 2008 Returned to the US full time
Spring 2008 Received 10-year greencard
Feb 2011 Applied for citizenship
May 2011 Interviewed
July 2011 Took oath and made US citizen!

So as near as makes no difference, a 10 year journey from "so, I can't just move to America like on TV?" to a proud American!
Old Jul 28th 2011, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hobbes79

It was huge ceremony in Lowell Auditorium. 760 of us! I got there at 9:15 as requested and the judge began official proceedings at 12:30, so rather a lot of sitting around while they staggered the checking in process.

Once things got going, the judge did a nice speech. His grandparents were immigrants and he said how his grandfather went to kindergarten at 15 due to speaking no English. His grandchildren went on to become a doctor, lawyer and of course... a judge. He said, as his mother always said, "only in America".

So approx timeline (some months may be a little off) from start to finish of the immigration process:

July 2001 Applied for J-1 visa
Aug 2001 Received J-1 visa
Sept 2001 Entered the US and began work as an intern
Sept 2002 Given full time position at same company and H-1B visa
June 2004 Married USC
Sept 2005 Receiving marriage based conditional greencard
2007 Made potential mistake of taking job back in UK (a little faffing about with re-entry permits)
Sept 2007 Applied for removal of conditions from the UK
Oct 2007 Travelled over for finger printing
Jan 2008 Returned to the US full time
Spring 2008 Received 10-year greencard
Feb 2011 Applied for citizenship
May 2011 Interviewed
July 2011 Took oath and made US citizen!

So as near as makes no difference, a 10 year journey from "so, I can't just move to America like on TV?" to a proud American!
Nice feeling walking out a US Citizen yes?
Old Jul 28th 2011, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Congratulations! Warms my heart to know you're at the end of the journey!

Ian
Old Jul 28th 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mick1935
Nice feeling walking out a US Citizen yes?
Absolutely! I began the process very much considering it a paper work formality, but you can't help get caught up in the emotion of it all on the day.

Coming from a relatively privileged country like the UK, the impact of it all was largely lost on me until yesterday. But when you see families from Africa, etc clearly massively overjoyed with what was happening, really brings it home. I certainly saw a few teary eyes in the audience!
Old Jul 28th 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Congratulations! Warms my heart to know you're at the end of the journey!

Ian
Thank you
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:31 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hobbes79
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, Hobbes
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

And I (well, not me personally) made local news

http://www.lowellsun.com/local/ci_18566930

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.