Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why is American radio so bad?

Why is American radio so bad?

Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why is American radio so bad?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
He makes me laugh.....

Garrison Keillor

When I have to work Saturday afternoons I listen to Prairie Home. I always tell myself not to because I find his voice annoying but some weird magnetism to this show draws me back everytime...........
That's it - it's hypnotic............ "you will listen every week" embedded in there somewhere.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by another bloody yank

Garrison Keillor's nose breathing makes me want to smash the radio. He has some good music every once in a while but the rest of his show is so painfully boring it makes me want to drive into a bridge piling for a little exitement.

And why does the audience love that powdermilk biscuits thing? If it's some kind of joke, I don't get it.
Perhaps the repetitive thing is part of the charm. It's like being a child again, being read the same bedtime story everynight.
The voice.... I love it... ..... he could just read the old shipping reports we got in the UK .... Dogger Bank..... Faeroes....anything. Time slows down, it's like another world.

He also does a short reflective daily thing with a poem.

Last edited by farmerwife; Dec 27th 2008 at 4:10 pm. Reason: sp.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
I listen to BBC radio via computer and I never fail to wonder why some enterprising person hasn't created radio drama, etc. that would appeal to the US audience? US radio comedy seemed to be popular in the days before TV but fizzled after visual entertainment took hold.
Before computers were popular (in the cold, dark days of the 70s and 80s) I would listen to "A Prairie Home Companion" on NPR. For 2 hours every Saturday night I would be transported to a place and time populated by Norwegian bachelor farmers and wonder why Garrison Keillor didn't buy his own radio station and play that stuff 24 hours a day.
Luckily I can now listen to Radio 4 in real time. My American friends who have been introduced to BBC radio are amazed and instantly hooked. THEY wonder why their radio is crap. My librarian friend listens to Radio4 at work and can't believe how good it is.

So, why does good American radio continue to be virtually non-existent
For the simple reason that the radio station is not charging for advertising as a revenue stream, but that you/us the listener are being sold to advetisers as a product they can reach with their message. When I lived in Asheville, NC a friend of mine was a partner in a local radio station and she informed me that listener rates are the all important carrot to hook advertisers. She told me that 'listeners are sold as a product by us".
Sad eh?
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Garrison Keillor's nose breathing makes me want to smash the radio. He has some good music every once in a while but the rest of his show is so painfully boring it makes me want to drive into a bridge piling for a little exitement.

And why does the audience love that powdermilk biscuits thing? If it's some kind of joke, I don't get it.
See, I'm more American than you! I love Garrison K's 'News from lake Wobegon'!
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
Define good?
Lots of radio drama, comedy, books, reality-based programming, gardening programs. Radio 4 for the US.
Now, that's something to look forward to! Gardening on the radio ... Sounds about as interesting as Golf on TV, or darts, or poker ...
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:28 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

American commercial radio is shit because nobody with any brains listens to it so they market to idiots.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:39 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
American commercial radio is shit because nobody with any brains listens to it so they market to idiots.
For the record - I do listen to it in my car. I am an idiot.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
For the record - I do listen to it in my car. I am an idiot.
Time to get XM/Sirius then and be slightly less of an idiot
Old Dec 28th 2008, 3:49 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
Lack of comedy?

Have you heard any of their black "screaming" preachers?

Seriously, I enjoy Radio4 comedies i.e "Just a minute" or "Sorry I haven't a clue", but in my humble opinion, BBCR4 have a rather consistent and well defined "anti-christian" focus, which in recent years I have found pretty predictable and off-putting.

I also like everything about US and forgive my cowboys their cheesy radio.

I can't say I've ever noticed the anti-christian focus on the BBC, perhaps just not a pro-christian focus like much of the US media. To be honest, I am surprised it has so much religion and christianity on it when religion is such a minority sport in the UK. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/religion/
Old Dec 28th 2008, 4:12 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's music you're after, then college radio is great. The local one is particularly good. I used to enjoy the local "classic rock" station, but it doesn't take long until you want them to play something other than "Stairway To Heaven", "Hotel California", or "We Will Rock You".
I usually enjoy listening to NPR, even though i'm still amazed about how much of their output actually comes from the BBC. It's still by far the best place to keep up with international news over here though.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 12:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree -- Keillor is a bit of a self-important prima donna as far as I can see. I like the "drama" segments, though; Lives of the Cowboys, Guy Noir and that one they used to do about Bob, the struggling artist who was stuck with his family in the midwest -- I can't remember what it was called.
Some of the syndicated talk shows from NPR and PRI etc. are very good indeed; Fresh Air, A Question of Faith, Tom Ashbrook, etc. As someone else said (above,) your local NPR affliliate may or may not carry these.
I think the weakness of non-commercial radio in the US all comes down to money. They just don't have quite enough of it to provide the really high quality programming that you get on the BBC. I live close to two or three CBC transmitters (Ottawa, Kingston etc.) so CBC Radio One & Two are available to us as well as NPR. CBC is more or less modelled on the BBC, but on a lower budget, therefore not such good programming. If you like Prairie Home Companion, though, try CBC's Vinyl Cafe; it's a kinder gentler PHC...
One thing I don't understand about funding for public radio is that the listener is able to contribute to the local radio station (whether it be an NPR affliate, Pacifica Radio, local college station etc.,) but NPR itself doesn't solicit money from individual listeners, only corporate sponsors. I've looked on the NPR site and there is no opportunity for folks to give them a few dollars.

Last edited by robin1234; Dec 28th 2008 at 12:46 pm. Reason: typo
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:26 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I agree -- Keillor is a bit of a self-important prima donna as far as I can see.
And if you believe some of the stories, he can be a bit of an arse to the other performers on the show too.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

I think that US radio also has a lot to do with where you happen to be. I'm blessed to live in an area that has several good rock stations playing everything from 60s up to the present. A lot of obscure stuff too. Though if you drive out of range, you could be listening to something completely different.

I'm considering XM or Sirius or SiriXM, though... I've already got enough bills, however. How much do the services cost a month or whatever pay period they have?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Now, that's something to look forward to! Gardening on the radio ... Sounds about as interesting as Golf on TV, or darts, or poker ...
Gardeners Question Time is a "must listen" in my household. My companion (a born and bred New Englander) gets a kick out of listening to the program and, due to the gales of laughter elicited, places it in the category of "comedy".
As a kid, we all had to hush when GQT was on --my dad was an avid listener.

I'm imagining Garrison Keillor reading the Shipping Forecast. Now THAT could replace sleeping pills.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SpaceProg
I think that US radio also has a lot to do with where you happen to be. I'm blessed to live in an area that has several good rock stations playing everything from 60s up to the present. A lot of obscure stuff too. Though if you drive out of range, you could be listening to something completely different.
Around the time I came here, all you could listen to in London, if you were into popular music, was "Radio 1", or "Capital Radio". I came here and found something like 20 or 30 FM stations, all playing good music. KFOG is still going 25 years later and still plays good stuff. But ... if I drove 100 miles out of the Bay Area, it could be Christian music, Country Music ...

Originally Posted by SpaceProg
I'm considering XM or Sirius or SiriXM, though... I've already got enough bills, however. How much do the services cost a month or whatever pay period they have?
XM is not cheap. After a cheap intro period, they try to charge you about $140/year, but if you let your subscription expire and string them along a few weeks, you start getting special offers for about $80/year. I believe XM and Sirius have merged, but they may each offer different packages still.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.