Want to immigrate to the UK, need advice

Old Mar 11th 2006, 12:21 am
Just Joined

JD22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to immigrate to the UK, need advice

Whew, so this site is a godsend for Canadians like me who are thinking about immigrating to England…

I’m going to graduate from the University of Toronto in April 2008 with 2 HBA’s in Employment Relations and Economics. I’m in my early 20’s, so I figure if I have any opportunity to see the world in my life, this will be it.

I’m wondering if my expectations for England are too lofty or daisy-headed:

- I don’t want to drive. I like walking around to get what I need and to look at things and to think, and I don’t fancy loads of car repair bills, petrol, or insurance to weigh down my wallet. I’m assuming England has a good enough transit system for me to get to work or whatever to let me live like this, outside of London and most major towns.
- I figure that traveling to the mainland European continent is loads cheaper from England than from my perch here in Suburban, Ontario.
- I can’t cook, so I figure I’ll be having dinner at pubs a lot. Is it that hard to say get a co-worker to go with you, or meet new people there? After work I’m usually in a bitter and tired mood, so this might not be a problem.
- I want a chance to read and to think and to take in great historical scenes and to live in a place with a unique culture. I figure when/if I come back to Ontario to start a family (providing I don’t meet anybody there) this will make me a better person.
- I have a EU Citizenship through a parent that was born in a eea area. I don’t think immigrating/work permits will be a problem?
- My personal feelings on UK Politics are generally that I am shocked at how self-loathing much of the UK Establishment is towards their people and their history, so I sympathize with those who wish to protect English culture. I also know such a movement exists. I am half anglo/greek, apparently I look like Clive Owen but taller, so I’m wondering whether I should expect any pushback from co-workers/people for being an immigrant.
- I don’t have the faintest idea of where in England I’d like to go. Somewhere with warmer weather where I can find a job that’s affordable and where I can travel to the mainland Europe easily.

Commence mockings of my presumptions now.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 1:47 am
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of
Default Re: Want to immigrate to the UK, need advice

Originally Posted by JD22
Whew, so this site is a godsend for Canadians like me who are thinking about immigrating to England…

I’m going to graduate from the University of Toronto in April 2008 with 2 HBA’s in Employment Relations and Economics. I’m in my early 20’s, so I figure if I have any opportunity to see the world in my life, this will be it.

- I don’t want to drive. I like walking around to get what I need and to look at things and to think, and I don’t fancy loads of car repair bills, petrol, or insurance to weigh down my wallet. I’m assuming England has a good enough transit system for me to get to work or whatever to let me live like this, outside of London and most major towns.
- I figure that traveling to the mainland European continent is loads cheaper from England than from my perch here in Suburban, Ontario.
- I can’t cook, so I figure I’ll be having dinner at pubs a lot. Is it that hard to say get a co-worker to go with you, or meet new people there? After work I’m usually in a bitter and tired mood, so this might not be a problem.
- I want a chance to read and to think and to take in great historical scenes and to live in a place with a unique culture. I figure when/if I come back to Ontario to start a family (providing I don’t meet anybody there) this will make me a better person.
- I have a EU Citizenship through a parent that was born in a eea area. I don’t think immigrating/work permits will be a problem?
- My personal feelings on UK Politics are generally that I am shocked at how self-loathing much of the UK Establishment is towards their people and their history, so I sympathize with those who wish to protect English culture. I also know such a movement exists. I am half anglo/greek, apparently I look like Clive Owen but taller, so I’m wondering whether I should expect any pushback from co-workers/people for being an immigrant.
- I don’t have the faintest idea of where in England I’d like to go. Somewhere with warmer weather where I can find a job that’s affordable and where I can travel to the mainland Europe easily.

Well, I think its a good idea to go and live and work in the UK for a while,because it will make you appreciate what you have in Canada.I'm sure you will enjoy it for a while because there will be lots of different things for you to see,like the 1000's of years of History which is all around you. Canterbury is quite a good base as you can easily reach France and the rest of europe and also london from there.It also has alot of historical places to visit.Beware though, wherever you go, housing is expensive,the streets are dangerous at night,people are generaly not as freindly as they are in 'out of town Canada', and don't go into Pubs that you don't know. In other Words try and get a job first then an apartment then get to know people and which pubs and clubs are good, where are the best places to visit etc. If you want to know stuff about anywhere in the southeast of England you can pm us if you want,and we'll give you the low down.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 6:00 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I'm Canadian and lived in the UK for about 9 years until recently. You might want to start off working in London to get your bearings. You can always commute from an outer suburb. I wouldn't recommend staying anywhere closer than zone 3 in London as it will be too expensive. London's probably the easiest place to find work. At most places I worked there were always at least several 'locals' (pubs) that people would go to, especially on Friday afternoon's. As the previous poster noted it's definitley not wise to go alone into a pub you don't know. The ones around covent garden and touristy areas are generally ok though.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 6:35 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I think the only comment I have is ....Clive Owen..really?
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Should suit you well, Public transports pretty good and cheaper than driving usually. Depending on where you live will determine how nice it is to use PUBLIC transportation and the availability of it.'

2. Yeah, it is. Might help to have a car here though. Alot of variation throughout Engand so everywhere you go is a new place to explore and experience. Excuse the cheesy-ness of the statement

3. I hope your making good money. Food (slight biasm) is pretty tasty everywhere. Whether it be frozen food or a good roast at a pub, its good taste good Eat out meals are usually 2quid chippy to a 15 quid roast at a nice restaurant. Depends on what you eat and where your eating. Unless your making good money, it will be hard to afford that.

4. One thing I miss about England that I didn't care for at all while I was there was the history and the culture. It has a mass of history and the people are generally friendly and easy to get along with. You should have no problem making drinking mates down the pub

5. Your get it where ever you go really. I think no doubt you will get grief for looking like clive owen, Brits have a way with taking the piss But it will all be in fun, usually know when to stop and your friends will have a respect for your background.

6. Yeah, I don't either mate. I bought a book of 100 worse places to live in England. I'll post 'em up if you like, as long as you don't pick one of them, you be alright

Chris
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Prakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Want to immigrate to the UK, need advice

Hi there
I only have 3 points to add to all the other replies you have had so far.

1. Being of Asian descent, I would say you should have no problem with people treating you as an immigrant. 98% of the population will treat you with respect if you treat them accordingly. The people who tend to have problems are those who have a chip on thier shoulder or are abusing the system, As for the other 2% I would just ignore them and get on with your life.

2. To live somewhere cheaply but with work is a contradiction, London has the work but has the most expensive accomodation. However I would suggest its a good starting place as it will meet all your other needs.

3. Not sure about somewhere warm though? As for travelling around Europe, consider the budget airlines. > easily accessed from London.

Good luck & excellent goals by the way!
Old Mar 11th 2006, 1:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Not a problem, provided you present a valid passport issued by another EEA state or Switzerland to an immigration officer on arrival.

However, you need to be aware that certain citizenship rights are not available to you as an EEA member state citizen.

Normally you have to work in the UK for four years (this may increase to five soon) and apply for UK permanent residence (Indefinite Leave to Remain - ILR) on this basis.

The exception is citizens of the Republic of Ireland, who are deemed to have ILR automatically.

After 1 year with ILR, and five years total (legal) residence in the UK, you can apply for naturalisation as a British citizen if you wish. Less residence is required if you are married to a British citizen. Information is at http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

Out of interest, what's the EEA state nationality that you currently have. Some EEA states allow dual citizenship, others restrict it.

The other thing you should know is that you may be able to legally shield non-UK sourced income overseas if you declare yourself "non-domiciled" in the UK and the income is not remitted to the UK. You would need professional tax advice on this, if interested (rules are complex and may change). It's also something you can't do if you naturalise as a British citizen, unless you are married to a British citizen.

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 11th 2006 at 1:51 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:24 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not a problem, provided you present a valid passport issued by another EEA state or Switzerland to an immigration officer on arrival.

However, you need to be aware that certain citizenship rights are not available to you as an EEA member state citizen.

Normally you have to work in the UK for four years (this may increase to five soon) and apply for UK permanent residence (Indefinite Leave to Remain - ILR) on this basis.

The exception is citizens of the Republic of Ireland, who are deemed to have ILR automatically.

After 1 year with ILR, and five years total (legal) residence in the UK, you can apply for naturalisation as a British citizen if you wish. Less residence is required if you are married to a British citizen. Information is at http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

Out of interest, what's the EEA state nationality that you currently have. Some EEA states allow dual citizenship, others restrict it.

The other thing you should know is that you may be able to legally shield non-UK sourced income overseas if you declare yourself "non-domiciled" in the UK and the income is not remitted to the UK. You would need professional tax advice on this, if interested (rules are complex and may change). It's also something you can't do if you naturalise as a British citizen, unless you are married to a British citizen.
JAJ you seem the eternal fountain of knowledge

I would like to ask you something. I am in my 40's have a Diploma in Mental Health Work and finish a Social Sciences degree this year. I am considering doing a graduate diploma in either teaching (secondary/high) school or counselling.

How much money (UK pounds sterling) do you think I might need to tide me over until I get work?
I am concerned as while I have British citizenship, I do not fufil the 'habitual residency requirement.
I am keen to work but trying to get a realistic take on things. Some say very easy to get work there but I am not an overly confident person (probably due to being a kiwi living in oz) LOL

Any thoughts/advice most appreciated. PM me if you prefer.

Thanx mate
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild

How much money (UK pounds sterling) do you think I might need to tide me over until I get work?
I am concerned as while I have British citizenship, I do not fufil the 'habitual residency requirement.
I am keen to work but trying to get a realistic take on things. Some say very easy to get work there but I am not an overly confident person (probably due to being a kiwi living in oz) LOL
Can't help, sorry. Too many variables, like what kind of lifestyle you have, what region of the UK you are in, and so on.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 3:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Want to immigrate to the UK, need advice

Check out this TNT website; it's aimed at young people from the Commonwealth countries on temp work visas in the UK - albeit mainly Oz, NZ and SA - who are all looking for jobs and accommodation eg. shared houses and flats, travel, news from home and messageboards etc. There is also a link to the Down Under counterpart if you fancy going there also:

http://www.tntmagazine.com/uk/
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

1- Depends where you live, obviously, if you want to work in London or any big city, and live far off, public transport will get you around, but having a car would be handy to get you to said public transport....plus if you want to get around the country and see a lot of places, it would certainly be more handy to have one.

2-Travel around europe is cheaper, certainly if you live near an airport like Standstead you can get great deals

3- Getting people to go out for a pub lunch, well it depends on where you work, and where abouts, but getting people to go out shouldn't be a problem, though certainly not a cheap option to do on a daily basis, plenty of sandwich places though to get a good lunch.

As for where to live, well anywhere south would generally be warmer to live than the north, cornwell ain't bad...but if you want a decent job, then that depends on what you want to do...if you want or need to work in London, there are plenty of places outside that are affordable that have good transport links. Oxfordshire, Bucks, Surrey, all very nice area's worth thinking about.

Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild

The work thing, wouldn't have a clue for your field...as for how much cash you should have to tide you over, tough again to answer, but a mate of mine while working at Sophos, lived in Oxford, saved up enough to live in a nice, but small apartment in London, near tower bridge overlooking the thames, and did a masters at Imperial, without a car and relying on public transport, no job, not going out on the piss at all, he blew about £50K in savings over the two years.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The work thing, wouldn't have a clue for your field...as for how much cash you should have to tide you over, tough again to answer, but a mate of mine while working at Sophos, lived in Oxford, saved up enough to live in a nice, but small apartment in London, near tower bridge overlooking the thames, and did a masters at Imperial, without a car and relying on public transport, no job, not going out on the piss at all, he blew about £50K in savings over the two years.
I don't know about London but up here in the North east of England we have some magnificent sites of historical interest (Hadrians wall, Durham Cathedral etc) and no one will give you hassle if you walk into a pub on your own.

The further north you get from London, the friendlier the people.
Newcastle was voted the seventh best party city in the world and you can fly to europe for very little money (just takes a bit longer than from heathrow)

Good luck
Old Mar 11th 2006, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

karen wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant future

i would advise you to come to manchester or stockport as they are near the airport, jobs can be found and u can still have surburban living. good transport links to and from the city to stockport town.
also quite near the peak district if u fancy a bit of rural life.
it rains alot and for warmth u can get a cheap flight to spain during the long annual leave that u will get! down south they get flooded out (kent especially) so premiums for home insurance are huge.

Old Mar 11th 2006, 7:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by jazzys
I don't know about London but up here in the North east of England we have some magnificent sites of historical interest (Hadrians wall, Durham Cathedral etc) and no one will give you hassle if you walk into a pub on your own.
Good pubs and nice people are all over though, even London...well unless you act like a complete tit bag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.