Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Please Help :((( B2 Tourist Visa denied, can i still apply for an ESTA ???

Please Help :((( B2 Tourist Visa denied, can i still apply for an ESTA ???

Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

mayinhay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please Help :((( B2 Tourist Visa denied, can i still apply for an ESTA ???

thanks again.

it's true the embassy are definitely not there to help in the slightest.

any idea how much an immigration lawyer costs by the way or where to find one? a few people have suggested i try the citizens advice bureau - theyre closed today - but i couldn't find anything in relation to help with visas on their website
Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Help :((( B2 Tourist Visa denied, can i still apply for an ESTA ???

The CAB does not have US immigration attoneys on staff.

You can find US immigration lawyers through their trade group: www.aila.org or direct to the search site http://www.ailalawyer.com/
Old Mar 26th 2011, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

thank you so much for those links! this is certainly the route im looking at right now. have you any idea if those lawyers have community based advice / free of charge advice service?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 7:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayinhay
thank you so much for those links! this is certainly the route im looking at right now. have you any idea if those lawyers have community based advice / free of charge advice service?
Many of them will offer a consultation for low or no cost.

But you should really clarify before you call: What are your questions?

Realistically, you are not a 'good' candidate for a B visa for your proposed trip. It's Just The Way Things Are. That doesn't mean you have no chance, or shouldn't apply, that is just my opinion after reading about lots of people's experiences. (something you can do here too, for free)

The next option is a shorter, Visa Waiver Program visit (90 days or less). to do that, you first need an ESTA clearance. This is a simple, several-question pre-exam. There is no explaining to do within it. And no need. Just ticking one box 'yes' (visa denied) doesn't put you in the 'denied' category automatically, it means your record is then checked against a couple of other things. People who have been denied visas often do get approved for ESTA. Once you have an ESTA approval, you may travel visa-free on the VWP.

No one can tell you if you will be approved by ESTA; there is only one way to find out.

No attorney can tell you how to get a B visa. It may simply not be possible. I know you think your circumstances have changed, but they really haven't, not as far as these things go. Again, based on my observations and readings on this over many years. The things you've gathered as 'ties' to return to can all be canceled and aren't very compelling from the Embassy POV.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:27 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

have you any idea if those lawyers have community based advice / free of charge advice service?
You wrote that you've been "saving for years". I'm at a loss to understand why you don't want to spend a few hundred $$ for advice that might well get you to the US. Consider it the cost of doing business to get what you want.

Ian
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:44 am
Just Joined

i'd like to keep the money i've saved for my trip and especially now that i have to prove i have sufficient funds. if i have to pay for legal advice i will but if any legal opinion can be given free of charge before then it would help me a lot --- the phone calls to the embassy and fees towards the application fee in total have been probably £300 or more. spent £70 on a 15 minute phone call because i can only call from my mobile phone.

does anyone know whether if i apply for my esta and it gets denied - is that known to definitely damage my chances of another tourist visa application even more? id rather try that but that one lady from the embassy today seemed to advise against it.

also i thought of another thing that ties me to the uk. i started a business with someone here in the uk, it's registered in his name and only didnt get off the ground coz he moved - to the us and is also one of the ppl im going to stay with when i go. it was about to launch before he left, but now that he's not gone im the only one who knows enough about it to continue with it so he'd left it in my hands. i was involved heavily with it from day one and was also responsible for all the marketing, altho my name isn't registered as owner of the company.i didnt mention it because im more of a partner of the company and not an employee and again was waiting until i returned to start it up. the company is registered to comence in the uk only and all our research was based on uk customers, future employs will at this time only be based in london where the clients are, because the company's based on service to these clients.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 3:16 am
Just Joined

**also -- my main reason needed to stay longer than 3 months was because i was basing around when my friends were free from studying or work / had taken holiday . really i only needed 4 months. the 1st date was from mid april. if this process drags on and i can't go when planned then i might only need 3 months, THEREFORE will i be totally ineligible for the Tourist 6 month visa? the only reason i am now wanting to reapply for that is (apart from being scared it will be denied again) is because i will have an opportunity to explain my situation better and show more information for my case in an interview. as i understand it i won't even be able to include this information about my changed circumstance when applying for the ESTA

thanks again for all the help
Old Mar 27th 2011, 3:19 am
Just Joined

ON ANOTHER NOTE - this is so frustrating because **i** i just want to go travelling there, like people do in asia, etc. and to not work or remain there or anything. but i have met people here in the uk before who have gone to america under documents by fake sponsors and stuff and people who have gone there and worked illegally and remained there illegally for years etc etc, and they got in! it's really not fair
Old Mar 27th 2011, 3:51 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Apply for the freakin ESTA and stop your whining.

And (apologies to Ian) switch to decaf.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:05 am
Just Joined

ok well you didn't answer this, if i apply for an esta and am denied will this furhter hinder my chances of getting a b2 visa? my chances are hindered anyway because it's been denied already but will it make it worse?

this is the kind of information i'm trying to find out. like if someone had told me a b2 denial would mean i could never go to the us again until i was tied down enough to not be able to travel the world then i would have never applied for it
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:12 am
Just Joined

also can someone tell me exactly which questions the esta application asks you?

does it ask for confirmation of future employment, or univeristy? does it allow you to upload information for these or post information for these?
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:23 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know whether if i apply for my esta and it gets denied - is that known to definitely damage my chances of another tourist visa application even more?
No, it won't.

id rather try that but that one lady from the embassy today seemed to advise against it.
If you persist in believing that anyone you spoke to at the Embassy is there to help you, then what are we all here for?

i thought of another thing that ties me to the uk. i started a business with someone here in the uk, it's registered in his name and only didnt get off the ground coz he moved - to the us and is also one of the ppl im going to stay with when i go.
If there's no actual business, it doesn't really help you at all.

... i have met people here in the uk before who have gone to america under documents by fake sponsors and stuff and people who have gone there and worked illegally and remained there illegally for years etc etc, and they got in! it's really not fair
I agree, it isn't fair... but, with respect, other people are not responsible for what has happened to you. I'll also add here, that even though you know what your intentions are, the only thing that matters when trying to enter the US, is what the officer thinks your intentions are.

It's quite simple... if you don't apply for ESTA, there is a 100% chance that you won't be travelling to the US.

Ian
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:25 am
Account Closed

also can someone tell me exactly which questions the esta application asks you?
It asks you the same questions as on page two of the I-94W.

Ian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
I-94W.pdf (387.6 KB, 343 views)

Last edited by ian-mstm; Mar 27th 2011 at 4:31 am.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:34 am
Just Joined

thanks ian, wow that's all they ask? oh dear.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:39 am
Just Joined

just thought of something, if i get the esta i'll prob still be questioned when i get to the us right because of the previous visa denial? and might be denied entry. if that happens i'll never be allowed in the us again under the waiver program? or at least for many years?

do you think maybe it makes more sense to try for the b2 visa again because if i get that, i'm more likely to be allowed in when i get there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.