Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

A Warm All-Year-Round Place to Retire

A Warm All-Year-Round Place to Retire

Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:57 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: A Warm All-Year-Round Place to Retire

Originally Posted by Jacaranda
Yes . . . I don't know that I would quite like to live with scary things like that again, even though wild things are, in the main, more scared of us humans than we of them!

Saw a TV prog once of this place in USA, in a very hot place (perhaps Arizona) where you're never many inches at all away from scorpions! They used some kind of infra-red or ultra-V photography to show them up - aieee!! I wouldn't want to share my shower, shoes, or anything with them - and these ones proved quite lethal, sometimes, for kiddies . . .they were everywhere!
Ah, the days of waking up and tapping our school shoes in case a scorpion had made its way in there during the night...and waking up one Saturday morning bright and early with a large snake on my bed.....

Never again, thank you..
Old Apr 15th 2005, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Jacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by izibear
Ah, the days of waking up and tapping our school shoes in case a scorpion had made its way in there during the night...and waking up one Saturday morning bright and early with a large snake on my bed.....

Never again, thank you..
Oh no, no way! Although I hate the cold climate, they do say that, apart from imported licenced "pet" species, the only indigenous snake here in UK that is poisonous is the adder!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 6:26 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Become a snowbird ..spend the 6 months of the winter in Florida .
and the other 6 months in the UK ... thousands do ....
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ray
Become a snowbird ..spend the 6 months of the winter in Florida .
and the other 6 months in the UK ... thousands do ....
Its nice to have a circle of friends though Ray and doing the 6 months turnaround doesn't encourage people to make the effort. Okay of you are like reading books.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 12:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

That not what happens here in my experience ..All the snowbird I know ..and there are many ..all seem to have full social calendars...
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have any bright ideas on the above? I'm near retirement age - and have painful arthritis while in the UK (during the UK winter), so am researching somewhere to perhaps retire to. I'm a British passport holder, but grew up in Kenya (where I was schooled), Tanzania (where I first started to work), moved to South Africa and returned to UK some time ago. I've also had nearly two years in the Middle East, in Doha.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Val/Jacaranda
What about Chile? I also spent some years in Africa and also Bermuda and the USA but decided to retire here in 1998. Chile is a place that Brits know very little about, but when they do come to see the place, they fall in love with it. There is just about every kind of climate you can wish for as the country is so long. We live in Santiago, which is sunny and dry for about 9 months a year with more or less mild and a bit wet winters of about 3 months. My wife also suffers from arthritis and finds the dry climate to be very helpful. Cost wise it´s far cheaper than anywhere in Europe, and most people speak some English. Shopping etc is far more sophisticated than England, housing is a fraction of the cost in England, and taxes on income are low. I could go on forever, but if you were to think seriously about it, I suggest you contact me directly on [email protected]
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:49 pm
Ray

Oh no, no way! Although I hate the cold climate, they do say that, apart from imported licenced "pet" species, the only indigenous snake here in UK that is poisonous is the adder!
Try day 10 after a recluse spider bite ...
Attached Thumbnails A Warm All-Year-Round Place to Retire-day10.jpg  
Old Jul 6th 2005, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by debsy
Jacaranda
Have you ever thought about Antalya, Turkey. The ancient roman town of Side is particularly nice and a lot of europeans have decided to settle there.
The Canaries have a good all year round climate
Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gray C
The Canaries have a good all year round climate
Not very much to do though unless you have absorbing hobbies.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Jacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ray
Try day 10 after a recluse spider bite ...
Oh my goodness - have been off the boards for a bit, so not following the thread! Ray, that looks awful - I hope it's better now? What *is* a recluse spider, and where do they come from?
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:07 pm
Ray

Oh my goodness - have been off the boards for a bit, so not following the thread! Ray, that looks awful - I hope it's better now? What *is* a recluse spider, and where do they come from?
Its not me .. just a bite from quite a rare spider in the US ....
the snakes are not so bad though ....
Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
Its not me .. just a bite from quite a rare spider in the US ....
the snakes are not so bad though ....
Glad it's not you! I suppose the name of the spider, the "recluse" tells that it's rather rare - mind you, the snakes are bad enough, if you weigh them against the good old British adder or viper - I'd not like to confront an angry rattler. But then again, I'd not like to confront any scorpions, either! I saw a prog on TV a while back, set somewhere in the States where there is a high preponderance of scorpions that, in the main, cannot be seen - they show up with infra-red light (I think it was that type), and where they are, all over the place, in walls in houses, garden walls etc, so near to man, is scary - one little kid got bitten in the shower, and the bite is really bad, and of course, ten times worse for a kid! (Goodness, just shows how long this thread has been running - sorry people, I've mentioned the bit about the scorpions higher up).

So, I console myself, when I miss the sun (it not being time to retire, just yet), that I've only got an ants' nest under my front step, fieldmice living under a step in the back garden, and can only grow certain plants in my garden because otherwise I offer a wonderful menu to the high amount of slugs in the area - and I will not use slug pellets to kill them!

Last edited by Jacaranda; Aug 6th 2005 at 8:53 am.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Billie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant future

Does anyone have any bright ideas on the above? I'm near retirement age - and have painful arthritis while in the UK (during the UK winter), so am researching somewhere to perhaps retire to. I'm a British passport holder, but grew up in Kenya (where I was schooled), Tanzania (where I first started to work), moved to South Africa and returned to UK some time ago. I've also had nearly two years in the Middle East, in Doha.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Val/Jacaranda
What about Belize? It's english speaking in Central America?
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billie
What about Belize? It's english speaking in Central America?
Wouldn't the humidity, rough terrain and lack of medical services make it unappealing for someone with "painful arthritis"?
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:11 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by meauxna
Wouldn't the humidity, rough terrain and lack of medical services make it unappealing for someone with "painful arthritis"?
Who cares about sick people ..let them eat pills ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.