Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House purchase costs

House purchase costs

Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:19 am
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default House purchase costs

It will probably be in the forum somewhere, just too lazy to look.

What would be a ballpark figure for buying a house in Oz? (Solicitor fees, agents fees, hidden costs etc). We would be getting a mortgage, nothing to sell, and live in NT (if that make a difference), looking at properties up to 600k.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice
Default Re: House purchase costs

not stalking you, but stamp duty is one, one of the only benefits of living across the ditch, we too are looking but queensland 4 us or perth
Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:48 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

From August 1, the transfer duty payable will be the same for investment homes or principal places of residence.
Currently, an existing home owner who bought a property worth $500,000 would pay $15,925 transfer duty if it was for an investment property or $8750 if it would be their main home.
After the changes, the buyer in both cases would pay $15,525, representing a hike of $6775 on a principal place of residence. The increase would be $7175 on properties worth more than $600,000.
The changes to stamp duty are predicted to raise the government an extra $161 million in the coming financial year and $247 million the following year.
More pain to give us from the goverment

Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dubstar
not stalking you, but stamp duty is one, one of the only benefits of living across the ditch, we too are looking but queensland 4 us or perth
Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevski
From August 1, the transfer duty payable will be the same for investment homes or principal places of residence.
Currently, an existing home owner who bought a property worth $500,000 would pay $15,925 transfer duty if it was for an investment property or $8750 if it would be their main home.
After the changes, the buyer in both cases would pay $15,525, representing a hike of $6775 on a principal place of residence. The increase would be $7175 on properties worth more than $600,000.
The changes to stamp duty are predicted to raise the government an extra $161 million in the coming financial year and $247 million the following year.
More pain to give us from the goverment

Is that for QLD?

For NT I used this http://www.revenue.nt.gov.au/calcula...c_normal.shtml which on $600,000 purchase price comes out at $29700!
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spartacus
Is that for QLD?

For NT I used this http://www.revenue.nt.gov.au/calcula...c_normal.shtml which on $600,000 purchase price comes out at $29700!
Thanks for the link, from what I can see there is a 'First home owner concession' up to $26,730 - does that mean there would be nothing to pay?
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:08 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spartacus
Is that for QLD?

try this , but i think you are correct
http://www.mymoneycalculator.com.au/...ts-calculator/
but i think it is very hard to get a correct figure at the present time because of all the changes,

Last edited by Trevski; Aug 1st 2011 at 7:13 am.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

perthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really nice

Originally Posted by billingham
Thanks for the link, from what I can see there is a 'First home owner concession' up to $26,730 - does that mean there would be nothing to pay?

No....I have just paid approx $5000 on a $300 000 mortgage, I am a first homeowner (in Oz anyway)
I also was eligible for the first homeowners grant having never owned a property in Oz before :-)
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

We thought first time buyers did not have to pay it
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:15 am
Living our life wherever

Originally Posted by deb68
We thought first time buyers did not have to pay it
its changed so the goverment gets more money they now treat all people as investors
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billingham
If it's your first home in Australia then yes, I think you'd be eligible for this http://www.revenue.nt.gov.au/home_assist/fhoc.shtml but it really depends on which state you're buying in. They control transfer duty rates , not the federal government.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhopeful
No....I have just paid approx $5000 on a $300 000 mortgage, I am a first homeowner (in Oz anyway)
I also was eligible for the first homeowners grant having never owned a property in Oz before :-)
Was this in Qld? Transfer duty is on the value of the sale rather than the mortgage value. Maybe you are in Perth and talking about Mortgage Duty?

In Qld FHOG is based on first home in Australia where Transfer Duty First Home concessions require it to be your first home worldwide.

Transfer Duty First Home concession is still available after 1 Aug in Qld.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like you get a concession on stamp duty for first home buyers in the NT. Don't forget settlement agent fees, probably a few thousand dollars. More info: http://www.theterritory.com.au/resou...efactsheet.pdf
http://www.moneybuddy.com.au/home-lo...g-a-house.html
http://www.yourmortgage.com.au/first-home-owners-grant/