Boar rampage

Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

billy4ray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Boar rampage

Anyone with any ideas how to keep boar at bay?
We are on the edge of the forest de Bessade in the Dordogne and have had our back garden well and truely ploughed up by a load of boar. Now I know I am in their territory so accept that this is going to be a problem. However is there anything I can do to deter them, that doesnt involve guns, traps or other nasty ideas.
The only solution I can think of at the minute is an electrified fence, but that seems a bit extreme.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Jorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Boar rampage

Originally Posted by billy4ray
Anyone with any ideas how to keep boar at bay?
We are on the edge of the forest de Bessade in the Dordogne and have had our back garden well and truely ploughed up by a load of boar. Now I know I am in their territory so accept that this is going to be a problem. However is there anything I can do to deter them, that doesnt involve guns, traps or other nasty ideas.
The only solution I can think of at the minute is an electrified fence, but that seems a bit extreme.
A single strand electric fence fed through a proper unit will do the trick effectively and humanely.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

billy4ray is an unknown quantity at this point

just thought i would post before and after pics of the garden, pre boar and post boar. As opposed to pre war and post war.
Attached Thumbnails Boar rampage-sl270134%5B1%5D.jpg   Boar rampage-users-ianjewell-pictures-iphoto-library-2007-12-09-sl270518.jpg  
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:41 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Aw man, that would really ruin my day! I feel sorry for you mate. We're surrounded by a 6foot high chainlink fence with double gates at the driveway here, so we don't have that here. But, we have another field with the river running by it on 2 sides (natural border) and trees on the other. I spent this summer taking the ride-on down there weekly to keep the grass nice ready for making a nice area for guests to picnic and fish this coming year. We've had pigs in there too and it looks like the Somme!

I've been told by my neighbour that any simple fence will keep them out.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

MAlexander is an unknown quantity at this point

An electric fence is very effective at keeping the deer and boar off our land. Once you have had it up for a while they generally steer clear even when its not switched on. Getting a dog isnt a bad idea either.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Grand Fromage is on a distinguished road

Dogs are a good idea, boars are usually shy and nocturnal so won't approach where a dog is, but if the dog approaches them and they have young, they will attack. We have 2 old cairn terriers and although we hear boar on the perimeter sometimes they haven't come on to our land so far, and we're not fenced. They probably don't like the smell, but then neither do I sometimes. Wet dog and all that!!!!!