Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

An Apprenticeship or a Degree??

An Apprenticeship or a Degree??

Old Apr 20th 2014, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Apprenticeship or a Degree??

Originally Posted by haggis88
i don't think it's quite as advanced as the UK system, but yes there are apprenticeship schemes in Canada

My work has 9 apprentices right now, although in my eyes the program they're doing isn't very good

I also know a couple of apprentice plumbers and an apprentice car mechanic
On the plus side apprenticeships here are not limited to those under 21 or whatever the age is in the UK due to funding and most pay a decent wage from the getgo.

They do have vocational qualification here Beckiwoo or journeyman status anyway. It's just foreign vocational quals that are not really recognized. You're work experience may be though and you just need to take the appropriate steps to get journeyman status.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
I personally am glad that I chose an apprenticeship over a degree. However I came straight out of school and done it, as opposed to starting later on as a new career.

Had I gone to University, I'd have come out with a degree and no work experience probably. I'd also have had student debt and no guarantee of a job afterwards.

As it stands, I have an SVQ3 in Aeronautical Engine Overhaul and Test, and an HND in Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering. The credits that I have from those courses would allow me to skip the first 2 years of a BEng, so I'd have a degree in 2 years if i wanted to.

Also while all my schoolmates were in university I was out working, gaining hands on experience and getting paid for it, I know some of them who came out with Honours and Masters degrees who couldn't get jobs in their fields for love nor money.

I wasn't guaranteed a job at the end of my apprenticeship, not many people are, but its pretty normal that you are and I was earning tradesmans money at 21 years old.

I may still go back to University eventually and get my degree, but at the moment I don't see it as essential, I've only been "on the tools" for 7 years, and at my old place back home, it was kind of accepted that the 10 year area was when you moved into the desk jobs if you wanted to.

That's just my view, I'm sure there will be other people who have gone the other way and had it work out for them, however I don't think i'd have gotten to Canada if i'd only had a degree and no work experience!
Thanks for the reply, my thoughts towards the apprenticeship are along the same lines. I'd be earning straight away and as long as I choose my subject area wisely there should be good job opportunity. I was thinking about the progression and it's good to here there may be options to do more pen pushing in my older years as I'm thinking long term here.
I'm still unsure though, I've already got an airy-fairy degree but am much more focus this time round with a more specific subject and direction.

How do you find your industry in Canada? and the salary if you don't mind me asking. Aeronautics was an area I was looking into too

Last edited by tee1; Apr 20th 2014 at 9:48 am.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 10:22 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tee1
On the plus side apprenticeships here are not limited to those under 21 or whatever the age is in the UK due to funding and most pay a decent wage from the getgo.

They do have vocational qualification here Beckiwoo or journeyman status anyway. It's just foreign vocational quals that are not really recognized. You're work experience may be though and you just need to take the appropriate steps to get journeyman status.
I'm guessing the journeyman status is for plumbers, carpenters, electricians etc?

I've got an NVQ3 in children and youth care (social care). So it won't be relevant to that area.

I used to think degrees were the best way forward but after speaking to friends who did apprenticeships and seeing how much further they went up the career ladder compared to those who just went to uni. I think it is the best way forward.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 11:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Group

Why on earth they think somebody with a 2:1 degree from one of those would be happy with a receptionists job is beyond me!
Hotels are getting the same way, more and more want degrees for all sorts of entry level customer service jobs. But the degree will get you further ahead in the large corporate owned chains, they generally wont consider promotions without a degree of some sort, any degree generally will work, they are not overly picky.

Seems there is a degree or certificate for just about everything these days.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You implied it, so why would you bother to do one now?

No, he didn't imply it.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tee1
How do you find your industry in Canada? and the salary if you don't mind me asking. Aeronautics was an area I was looking into too
I'm actually in the O&G service industry...I work on aero-derivative gas turbines here as opposed to Aircraft turbines

From what i've been told, the aero industry here at technical level is pretty poor for pay...i don't know how poor or why it's poor though.

I've only worked for the one company here in Calgary so far, so I don't have a lot of experience of what the rest of my specific industry is like, but O&G as a whole is obviously booming...i notice a lot of adverts for Pipeline technicians in my general perusing of the classifieds!
Old Apr 21st 2014, 12:16 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jsmth321;11226541]Hotels are getting the same way, more and more want degrees for all sorts of entry level customer service jobs. But the degree will get you further ahead in the large corporate owned chains, they generally wont consider promotions without a degree of some sort, any degree generally will work, they are not overly picky.

Seems there is a degree or certificate for just about everything these days.[/QUOTE]

This is certainly my perception too. I've employed people with "degrees" who were as thick as custard.