Medical Questions Help

Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

macatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to all
Default Medical Questions Help

Hi

Can anyone please advise me how much I am looking at for a medical for myself/wife and 6 year old. Also I have an eye condition called keratoconus. Does anyone know if this would impeed my medical/visa.

Thank you all.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Questions Help

How does the keratoconus affect you? (I know what it is btw.) If you are likely to need expensive surgery or lose your sight, then it might affect your visa chances, but if it is mild then there shouldn't be too many problems. They are really concerned if you are going to be a burden on the state, but if you are able to pay your way and be a "useful" citizen, then they are ok.

Not sure what the price of medicals is these days- think we had to pay about 700 pounds for 2 adults and a child.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:02 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

There's a sticky thread at the top of the immigration forum that has up to date costs of medicals. There are little differences between the different centres but typically around £270 - £290 for an adult medical
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

It will be interesting to know the answer to this as we didnt need to do medicals when we first came out (457 visa) but we are looking at PR very shortly and will need them then. I also have Kerataconus (though left eye only - had cxl and intacs)
Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

macatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
How does the keratoconus affect you? (I know what it is btw.) If you are likely to need expensive surgery or lose your sight, then it might affect your visa chances, but if it is mild then there shouldn't be too many problems. They are really concerned if you are going to be a burden on the state, but if you are able to pay your way and be a "useful" citizen, then they are ok.

Not sure what the price of medicals is these days- think we had to pay about 700 pounds for 2 adults and a child.
Thank you for your reply carolinephillips. It a mild keratoconus and correctable with contact lenses that I pay for myself. I was just wonderining if it would stop me passing the eye sight test at the medical.

Pete
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
There's a sticky thread at the top of the immigration forum that has up to date costs of medicals. There are little differences between the different centres but typically around £270 - £290 for an adult medical
Hey old.sparkels. How are things going. Thank you for your reply will have a look after I read to y little one. The centre I will be attending is in Brentwood not to far from Suffolk.

Pete
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:56 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macatack007
Thank you for your reply carolinephillips. It a mild keratoconus and correctable with contact lenses that I pay for myself. I was just wonderining if it would stop me passing the eye sight test at the medical.

Pete
If you're not visually impaired and can correct your problem with contact lenses then it shouldn't impact on your medical. If you can get a report from your ophthalmologist stating that your keratoconus is mild and correctable with contacts bring it to the medical with you. That way your panel doctor can have the information available.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you're not visually impaired and can correct your problem with contact lenses then it shouldn't impact on your medical. If you can get a report from your ophthalmologist stating that your keratoconus is mild and correctable with contacts bring it to the medical with you. That way your panel doctor can have the information available.
Hello Dorothy, brilliant advice and I will certainly do that.

Pete
Old Feb 13th 2013, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macatack007

Pete
If it is corrected by the lenses, then you should be ok. I had severe myopia- practically blind in one eye and have had 2 ops and laser surgery on retinal holes. I was able to read sufficiently well to pass. You should be fine.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
If it is corrected by the lenses, then you should be ok. I had severe myopia- practically blind in one eye and have had 2 ops and laser surgery on retinal holes. I was able to read sufficiently well to pass. You should be fine.
I hope so fingers crossed. Thank you again for your advice.

Pete