When to apply for a De-Facto?

Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

caz_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When to apply for a De-Facto?

Next year, I am planning to apply for a de-facto visa through my boyfriend's 457 Temporary Work Sponsorship Visa. But the question for me is when. I have looked at various websites on this matter and the information seems to be quite vague. Some say you have to have lived together for at least a year and some say just being able to prove you are in a serious and committed relationship is enough.

In terms of our situation, we have been in a serious relationship since March 2006. However, we can only prove this through our own testament and a handful of holiday photos. At that time, my bf was here and I was living in Japan, but that is the point when we decided that I would move here to be with him.

Then, in May, we started to rent a house together here, even though I was still out of the country. I paid half of the bond - but in cash to my bf. I couldn't come here earlier due to my existing work contract in Japan. I was teaching at a high school so I couldn't be released until the end of term in July.

Finally, in July I landed here and we immediately set up an active joint account. The only payment that links us both to the same house from May is a gas bill we paid out of our joint account later in October.

Ideally, I would like to get my de-facto sooner rather than later as I am finding it hard to get permanent work as a WH visa holder! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

caz_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When to apply for a De-Facto?

sorry to confuse the issue - yes, I will be applying to become de-facto on my boyfriend's 457 visa as you stated. Will my bf's company have to apply for this on my behalf?