uk benifits?

Old May 6th 2012, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: uk benifits?

I have been out of work for 3 weeks. I have searched and searched, been in touch with agencies from Swansea to Cardiff and been told "there's nothing much about". I've forgotten how many applications I've sent off for - and still nothing.

My US husband has a pension and that's what we're surviving on. I've been told that I'm not entitled to a penny - because of my husband's pension and because I've only worked for 18 months since coming back to the UK so haven't paid enough contributions. The only thing that I am getting is child benefit for my 15 year old daughter.

I have now come to the decision to move out of the area in the hope that I'll be able to find something. My daughter will stay here with her stepfather. If I find something I will leave home on the Monday morning and return on the Friday evening.

I'm aiming for Bristol and am seeing one of the agencies on Tuesday. How it will go I have no idea ... I'll be looking for secretarial work. At the age of 55 it isn't going to be easy. I'm now contemplated sleeping in my car overnight to try and save a few pounds that way.

So as for any type of safety net ... the only safety net I have is my husband's pension.
Old May 6th 2012, 12:40 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lara45
I have been out of work for 3 weeks. I have searched and searched, been in touch with agencies from Swansea to Cardiff and been told "there's nothing much about". I've forgotten how many applications I've sent off for - and still nothing.

My US husband has a pension and that's what we're surviving on. I've been told that I'm not entitled to a penny - because of my husband's pension and because I've only worked for 18 months since coming back to the UK so haven't paid enough contributions. The only thing that I am getting is child benefit for my 15 year old daughter.

I have now come to the decision to move out of the area in the hope that I'll be able to find something. My daughter will stay here with her stepfather. If I find something I will leave home on the Monday morning and return on the Friday evening.

I'm aiming for Bristol and am seeing one of the agencies on Tuesday. How it will go I have no idea ... I'll be looking for secretarial work. At the age of 55 it isn't going to be easy. I'm now contemplated sleeping in my car overnight to try and save a few pounds that way.

So as for any type of safety net ... the only safety net I have is my husband's pension.
Lara have you applied for housing benefit and council tax benefit?
Old May 6th 2012, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

Yes - but I've been told I'm not eligible.
Old May 6th 2012, 12:42 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

OK that must be because you are not on JSA. I don't know of any other ideas but stick around as somebody is sure to.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old May 6th 2012, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

If you can, please try again re housing ben...I think you should be entitled?

Unless its your savings and the pension that are taking you above the income level?

Working people can get it, not just the unemployed

Hope you get something work wise...very soon
Old May 6th 2012, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Lara, here's a good calculator where you can plug in your details to double check what you may be entitled to... http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/benefits-check

That's also a great site in general, with a good forum with a section on benefits so you might glean some more info there.

Good luck, I hope you can sort something out and aren't forced to spend nights in your car.
Old May 7th 2012, 2:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Unless its your savings and the pension that are taking you above the income level?

Working people can get it, not just the unemployed
Yes that's possible.

Depending on spouse status (no recourse to public funds) they may assess as if an applicant is a single person, but still take the spouse income into account - which always seems a bit unfair, but technically correct.

If that has happened and later on the spouse gets whatever used to be called indefinite leave to remain - in other words there is no longer any restriction on public funds - a reassessment as a couple may produce a more favourable result.

@Lara
I would avoid sleeping out in your car in Bristol - too many dodgy places and/or dodgy people on the streets.

You might find someone who would like a "lodger" Mon-Fri as a sort of mortgage helper. That could be cheaper than renting somewhere all week.

Last edited by BristolUK; May 7th 2012 at 2:58 am.
Old May 8th 2012, 4:48 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes that's possible.

Depending on spouse status (no recourse to public funds) they may assess as if an applicant is a single person, but still take the spouse income into account - which always seems a bit unfair, but technically correct.

If that has happened and later on the spouse gets whatever used to be called indefinite leave to remain - in other words there is no longer any restriction on public funds - a reassessment as a couple may produce a more favourable result.

@Lara
I would avoid sleeping out in your car in Bristol - too many dodgy places and/or dodgy people on the streets.

You might find someone who would like a "lodger" Mon-Fri as a sort of mortgage helper. That could be cheaper than renting somewhere all week.
In the newsagents window near to where I live there seem to be LOTS of ads from people offering a double bedroom with all utilities thrown in, probably as you say to help with their mortgage.

This would be much safer for Lara than sleeping in a car, that sounds just terrible, how could you get changed for work, wash, eat, etc.

Last edited by Beedubya; May 8th 2012 at 6:36 pm.
Old May 8th 2012, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies .. I suppose I did sound desperate saying I'd sleep in the car. I'd even thought I'd just pop in to motorway services for a wash etc etc!!

I went to Bristol today and spoke with an agency. My feeling is that I'm going to be finding it very difficult to find work. I just don't know what to do next.
Old May 8th 2012, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies .. I suppose I did sound desperate saying I'd sleep in the car. I'd even thought I'd just pop in to motorway services for a wash etc etc!!

I went to Bristol today and spoke with an agency. My feeling is that I'm going to be finding it very difficult to find work. I just don't know what to do next.
Lara - have you looked through some of the links that we've given you? Have you been able to confirm for yourself what the benefit situation is?

If it's a case that you can't get any benefits due to the income that your husband receives, then check out the forums here - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ there is wealth of help and experience there to give you ideas to make your budget stretch as far as possible, along with some ideas for boosting your income.
Old May 9th 2012, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I've found a job ... less than 10 minutes from where I live. It's not perfect but it's something. It's in a nursing home (carer). I mentioned to them that many years ago I'd worked as a cook in a nursing home so they asked if Id be interested in doing that as cover for holidays, sickness etc. The money isn't good but frankly it's more than I'm getting now. So besides legal secretary, pa, etc I'm now turning my hand to something else ... and at least I don't have to live in my car in the middle of Bristol!
Old May 9th 2012, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I've found a job ... less than 10 minutes from where I live. It's not perfect but it's something. It's in a nursing home (carer). I mentioned to them that many years ago I'd worked as a cook in a nursing home so they asked if Id be interested in doing that as cover for holidays, sickness etc. The money isn't good but frankly it's more than I'm getting now. So besides legal secretary, pa, etc I'm now turning my hand to something else ... and at least I don't have to live in my car in the middle of Bristol!
Great news! Well done
Old May 9th 2012, 1:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've found a job ...
Old May 9th 2012, 5:04 pm
Home Sweet Home

Wonderful news Lara. It may not be your dream job, but we all gotta start somewhere, so well done.
Old May 9th 2012, 5:35 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: uk benifits?

Good for you!

It has always seemed to be easier to find another job when one is already employed, so perhaps you will soon be able to find another opportunity once you have worked at the nursing home for a short period.

Onwards and upwards!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.