power tools

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:43 pm
hch
Forum Regular

hch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to all
Default power tools

Hi,
does anybody know if 110 volt power tools from the uk work in oz,
cheers HCH.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: power tools

I know nothing about power tools or electric for that matter, but if they work in UK I would guess they'd work in Aus as it's a similar voltage.

Lindsey

P.S. There may be someone out there who hasn't been drinking and a lot wiser than me who may be able to answer in a more definitive way. If not I'll ask hubby when he gets back from fishing, he's an electrician
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 10:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Standard UK voltage is 220 volts not 110.

A 220 volt applicance *will* work in Australia with just a plug adaptor.

A 110 volt one (usually from North America) will need a voltage transformer as well, which may cost more than the tool.

Jeremy

Originally posted by hch
Hi,
cheers HCH.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:08 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Power tools over here are pretty cheap anyway, so I wouldnt worry too much about bringing that many, unless you have absolutely loads and it would cost a fortune to replace them all.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 7:34 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on your tools, you could get a transformer but from experience they cost about $100.00 a pop for a regular one... heaps more for one for power tools

If you're planning on bringing you're Makita tools.... a transformer may be for you but if you can restock your gear, it's probably a better option in the long run.

Siren
Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by hch
Hi,
cheers HCH.
HCH
How do you use 110v power tools in the UK?

If you have a transformer that steps down 240v to 110v, in use here.....it will also work in Australia. Just need to use an adaptor on the supply plug.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:49 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

If your work is in the building trade and you have a lot of 110v power tools I would recommend selling them in the UK. I had a lot and thought as they're 110 they'd be safer so I brought them [spent ages cleaning them as well].
Here in QLD your power tools and by tools I mean everything extension leads, kettles, radios and even your sandwich toaster [the tradies here have it all ] need testing and tagging for compliance every three months by a "competent person", cost's about $5-$10 per item. Unfortunately by their design your transformer will not pass the compliance test rendering all your tools useless for working "on site" I now have a lot of 110v tools that are only any good for using at home.
NSW insist on testing on a monthly basis and there is talk QLD will adopt simlar tactics quite soon [probably about 20 yrs time]
Penalties for having untagged equipment are quite harsh for repeat offenders.
Have a look at the link below
http://www.eso.qld.gov.au/publicat/index.htm

Originally posted by hch
Hi,
cheers HCH.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

ssinnige is an unknown quantity at this point

Ever watched 'home improvement'? Using 220 V instead of 110V can give you an extra high power tool but not for long as Tim Allen proves it time after time.

Better sell 'm.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:59 pm
Banned

PINOYAU is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hch
Hi,
cheers HCH.
Any appliance that will work on 240v 50 Hz will work anywhere in Australia.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:51 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PINOYAU
Any appliance that will work on 240v 50 Hz will work anywhere in Australia.
I agree they will work but they are deemed as illegal. As I found to my cost.
Under current legislation, it is a requirement under the Occupational Health & Safety Section AS3760 20001 to have Electrical Equipment appliances etc. certified Tested and Tagged for safety compliance.
As can be expected, the penalties failing to comply are severe.
By their design a transformer is centre tapped to earth thus giving only a 56v shock not enough to kill you but it will not trip out the mandatory "Safety Switch"
I'm sure one of the many electrical technicians could give you chapter and verse.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

dazandreb has a spectacular aura aboutdazandreb has a spectacular aura aboutdazandreb has a spectacular aura about

Is this tagging just for proffesional equipment and not DIY or is it DIY as well?
Old Aug 5th 2004, 12:18 am
Banned

PINOYAU is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cresta57
I agree they will work but they are deemed as illegal. As I found to my cost.
Under current legislation, it is a requirement under the Occupational Health & Safety Section AS3760 20001 to have Electrical Equipment appliances etc. certified Tested and Tagged for safety compliance.
As can be expected, the penalties failing to comply are severe.
By their design a transformer is centre tapped to earth thus giving only a 56v shock not enough to kill you but it will not trip out the mandatory "Safety Switch"
I'm sure one of the many electrical technicians could give you chapter and verse.
The lowest voltage that has been recorded as having killed anyone is 48V.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 9:01 am

Just your work stuff mate.
Applies to hairdressers etc. as well but testing is not 3 monthly as per construction use.
http://www.eso.qld.gov.au/publicat/safety_work.pdf

Originally posted by dazandreb
Is this tagging just for proffesional equipment and not DIY or is it DIY as well?