Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Career change. Realistic ?

Career change. Realistic ?

Old Dec 27th 2003, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

raimondas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Career change. Realistic ?

After being a silent reader of this forum (which I find really helpful and informative) for a quite long time, here's my first post.
I'm currently in IT (Java developer) but upon arrival (I stick to Perth area) I plan to drop IT and switch to something less demanding. My background is electric engineering and I even worked in that area for some time in the past, but this doesn't restrict me and I am interested in trying other things as well would it be building industry or anything else (I am mostly looking into trades). Major motivation for this move is lifestyle not a career.
I would be really interested to hear opinions whether this is kind of extraordinary thing to switch to other field when you are at the age of 37...39. Would it be a real struggle to get in. Is it common in oz. Are there people that did this already and how dramatic such a change was in terms of efforts and financial resources required ? Especially when you have family behind. I've looked at TAFE system and it seems this could be doable.
Thanks for any input.
Old Dec 27th 2003, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Of course it's possible but do you not think you have enough to worry about in the beginning?
I have no rose tinted glasses on when it comes to life......there is no such thing as a free ride!, it will be difficult enough to find a job in your field that you already hold qualifications for but there is nothing to stop you retraining for any career whilst earning. We all aspire to an easier life and less hours but the grass is not always greener on the other side
I spent years taking management courses only to discover when I got there I did not like it and could not wait to get back on the tools
My advice for what it is worth is to stick with what you know while you get established and then do what you feel like

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Dec 28th 2003, 2:03 am
Goodpubmisser

Changing career in Australia is very difficult. I could make a few suggestions but I think at your age (similiar to mine) you are going to get hit by the "Reality stick" when you land in Perth.

If you are dead set on changing career you might be able to get work in a mining town in a technician type role, i.e mending equipment. I personally would not live in a mining town as they are braindead.

The other alternative is to set up your own business doing something entirely different, eg picture framing. Again very difficult in Australia due to the low population in a large area.

If I were you I would go contract as a Java Programmer/ set up a business on the internet.

Old Dec 28th 2003, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Re: Career change. Realistic ?

I am also in IT and focussing on a clean exit plan.

I looked into retraining as a plumber in UK with a view to working in Australia. The information I obtained told me not to bother. Essentially need 6 years verifiable experience before a licence would be granted to trade independently. This is what I got from the NSW Office of Fair Trading:-

* 'Tradepersons Certificate' as a Journeyman which will allow the holder to carry out, as an employee under the general supervision and subject to the direction of a qualified licence or supervisor certificate holder, the work in the category or categories for which the certificate is issued. The Certificate does NOT allow the holder to contract, sub-contract, advertise or carry out work in their own right. If a Certificate of Registration is not held, the employee must carry out all work under the constant, immediate and direct supervision of a qualified licence or supervisor certificate holder.
* 'Qualified Supervisor Certificate' will allow the holder to supervise and carry out work as an employee in the category or categories for which it has been issued. A Qualified Supervisor Certificate does NOT allow the holder to contract, sub-contract, advertise or carry out work in their own right, except on properties that they own or in which they reside.
* 'Contractor Licence' which will allow the holder to contract, sub-contract, supervise, and to carry out work in their in the category or categories for which the Licence has been issued.

In order to be eligible for a 'Contractor Licence' or 'Qualified Supervisor Certificate' for Plumbing, Draining, Gasfitting (Natural) and LP Gasfitting, an all overseas applicants with acceptable qualifications are required to provide evidence of 72 months acceptable supervised plumbing practical experience (of which 3 months must be in Australia) and show that they have completed the following NSW TAFE course/subjects:

* Plumbing Overseas Conversion Course (Theory & Practical)

PLUS the following subjects:

* 1496B - Water Supply Services II - Theory
* 1496C - Waste Disposal Services II - Theory
* 1496D - Gas Services II - Theory

The Plumbing Overseas Conversion course is specially designed to assist plumbers trained overseas to obtain the qualifications required for issue of a Tradesperson Certificate, Qualified Supervisor Certificate and/ or Contractor Licence.

The course is of 36 weeks in duration conducted on two evenings each week and is conducted at North Sydney College of TAFE in Sydney.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 9:34 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by raimondas
After being a silent reader of this forum (which I find really helpful and informative) for a quite long time, here's my first post.
I'm currently in IT (Java developer) but upon arrival (I stick to Perth area) I plan to drop IT and switch to something less demanding. My background is electric engineering and I even worked in that area for some time in the past, but this doesn't restrict me and I am interested in trying other things as well would it be building industry or anything else (I am mostly looking into trades). Major motivation for this move is lifestyle not a career.
I would be really interested to hear opinions whether this is kind of extraordinary thing to switch to other field when you are at the age of 37...39. Would it be a real struggle to get in. Is it common in oz. Are there people that did this already and how dramatic such a change was in terms of efforts and financial resources required ? Especially when you have family behind. I've looked at TAFE system and it seems this could be doable.
Thanks for any input.
IMO whether you can achieve your goal of career change depends upon what you define as lifestyle and what compromises you are willing to make. I understand it is possible to be a mature apprentice, but I guess the wages are very very low. Depending on what your financial position is, and we all need money to live, it may or may not be an option for you.

Personally, I think it is very difficult to change your career in your late thirties, particularly when you are also an new immigrant. We have had no success in our attempt to achieve work in either established or new fields.

But if its really something you want to do, then you will probably find a way to do it.

Donna
Old Dec 28th 2003, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Well, sounds really quite depressing, especialy when you are coming from a non English speaking part of the world (post soviet) and more to that - with a big family to support. My major motivation for switching to something different is to have less stressful job and to have more time for the family so we could spend it somewhere in the sun .
For now I'm kinda fed up with 12 hours working day plus additional time you have to spend to stay on the track (however, I like my job, especially when you manage to get things done well). It is more about tradeoffs you have to make. I'm a family man and career is not a top goal.
What you find the most difficult ? Is it this famous "local experience" thing, or education and requirements you have to meet as a newcomer in the new field, or a simple ignorance by local employers ?
I've also noticed that age might be an obstacle as well since some people complain about feeling they are being ignored because of age, especially for simpler jobs.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 1:49 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by raimondas
Well, sounds really quite depressing, especialy when you are coming from a non English speaking part of the world (post soviet) and more to that - with a big family to support. My major motivation for switching to something different is to have less stressful job and to have more time for the family so we could spend it somewhere in the sun .
For now I'm kinda fed up with 12 hours working day plus additional time you have to spend to stay on the track (however, I like my job, especially when you manage to get things done well). It is more about tradeoffs you have to make. I'm a family man and career is not a top goal.
What you find the most difficult ? Is it this famous "local experience" thing, or education and requirements you have to meet as a newcomer in the new field, or a simple ignorance by local employers ?
I've also noticed that age might be an obstacle as well since some people complain about feeling they are being ignored because of age, especially for simpler jobs.

In my experience I would think you would find it difficult to support a large family on the average OZ wage. And although some people find living expenses cheaper here than in the UK. I personally do not think it is cheap to live here especially if you only have one average wage coming in.

But for you it may be an improvement on your current situation.

I also find that WA's are not as welcoming of outsiders as you may think, they look after their own first and even Australians from the Eastern States can find it takes time to become accepted.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

In my estimation a career change in your late 30's in Oz has as much chance as in the UK.

On the plus side, Australia is far more family orientated and large families are happily accepted. The dollar stretches further and you'll get a good lifestyle, there's lots to do. If family comes above career, Oz could be a good option. You will have more time in the sun. Don't come over thinking it's an easy option and you'll work less hours though.

We've both changed careers here, and if necessary could do it again. We work long hours & get less time off than many would find acceptable but love what we do. Don't expect an easy ride.

Australia is incredibly welcoming of all nationalities, far more tolerant than the UK in my experience. We have Polish friends who find it very easy here. The South Africans and Asians' work ethic is high so plan on working equally hard as you do in Europe.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Zebra4
In my estimation a career change in your late 30's in Oz has as much chance as in the UK.

On the plus side, Australia is far more family orientated and large families are happily accepted. The dollar stretches further and you'll get a good lifestyle, there's lots to do. If family comes above career, Oz could be a good option. You will have more time in the sun. Don't come over thinking it's an easy option and you'll work less hours though.

We've both changed careers here, and if necessary could do it again. We work long hours & get less time off than many would find acceptable but love what we do. Don't expect an easy ride.

Australia is incredibly welcoming of all nationalities, far more tolerant than the UK in my experience. We have Polish friends who find it very easy here. The South Africans and Asians' work ethic is high so plan on working equally hard as you do in Europe.

BTW, by large family I mean family with 4 kids, from 3 to 9 , and, I'm lithuanian. I've visited Australia in 1999 (Perth, Adelaide) and am obsessed since then
Interesting, what was your previous job field ? Is it what you do now in any way related with your former occupation ? What it took to get started in terms of time and money (I mean was it considerable investment for your new education/training/whatever) ?
With my situation I believe I do need more investigation, esp when going to WA. I am not confident at all I could land as a programmer, so I would need to grab anything just to stay afloat.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

A family of 4 children would be considered very normal here in WA.

If you plan on doing something different, do as much planning and get as much info as possible. There is a lot of help available.

We bought a business here which involves a big financial outlay. It isn't related to what we did before but our backgrounds helped.
You're right to become obsessed with the country - that is the big starting block. It doesn't owe you a living, but if you want something enough - you'll get a job to keep you afloat.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 11:25 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by ossigeno
I am also in IT and focussing on a clean exit plan.

I looked into retraining as a plumber in UK with a view to working in Australia. The information I obtained told me not to bother. Essentially need 6 years verifiable experience before a licence would be granted to trade independently. This is what I got from the NSW Office of Fair Trading:-

* 'Tradepersons Certificate' as a Journeyman which will allow the holder to carry out, as an employee under the general supervision and subject to the direction of a qualified licence or supervisor certificate holder, the work in the category or categories for which the certificate is issued. The Certificate does NOT allow the holder to contract, sub-contract, advertise or carry out work in their own right. If a Certificate of Registration is not held, the employee must carry out all work under the constant, immediate and direct supervision of a qualified licence or supervisor certificate holder.
* 'Qualified Supervisor Certificate' will allow the holder to supervise and carry out work as an employee in the category or categories for which it has been issued. A Qualified Supervisor Certificate does NOT allow the holder to contract, sub-contract, advertise or carry out work in their own right, except on properties that they own or in which they reside.
* 'Contractor Licence' which will allow the holder to contract, sub-contract, supervise, and to carry out work in their in the category or categories for which the Licence has been issued.

In order to be eligible for a 'Contractor Licence' or 'Qualified Supervisor Certificate' for Plumbing, Draining, Gasfitting (Natural) and LP Gasfitting, an all overseas applicants with acceptable qualifications are required to provide evidence of 72 months acceptable supervised plumbing practical experience (of which 3 months must be in Australia) and show that they have completed the following NSW TAFE course/subjects:

* Plumbing Overseas Conversion Course (Theory & Practical)

PLUS the following subjects:

* 1496B - Water Supply Services II - Theory
* 1496C - Waste Disposal Services II - Theory
* 1496D - Gas Services II - Theory

The Plumbing Overseas Conversion course is specially designed to assist plumbers trained overseas to obtain the qualifications required for issue of a Tradesperson Certificate, Qualified Supervisor Certificate and/ or Contractor Licence.

The course is of 36 weeks in duration conducted on two evenings each week and is conducted at North Sydney College of TAFE in Sydney.

Is working in IT really that bad in the UK these days? One of my big regrets in life is not staying in the SE of England and working in IT in London.

I am an Electronic/Materials Engineer and work in a manufacturing environment in Australia (medical devices).

Old Dec 29th 2003, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Just on the subject of changing careers in your 30s (i'm 34) - that is exactly what I am doing in the lead up to going to Oz. After 15 years in telecoms left work and went back to uni to do teaching. I am really enjoying it but our circumstances have meant that it didn't really change our lifestyle.

So it can be done but you need to be sure you can manage while you go through the process.

Muzzman
Old Dec 30th 2003, 5:10 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by Muzzman
Just on the subject of changing careers in your 30s (i'm 34) - that is exactly what I am doing in the lead up to going to Oz. After 15 years in telecoms left work and went back to uni to do teaching. I am really enjoying it but our circumstances have meant that it didn't really change our lifestyle.

So it can be done but you need to be sure you can manage while you go through the process.

Muzzman
In many ways I think that changing careers in your 30's, is an ideal age, because of the experience and confidence you have. But trying to establish yourself in a new career, in a new country whilst trying to settle and feed a large family is a whole other ball game. Unless you have wads of cash behind you to cushion the way.

Australians may be regarded as welcoming of all other nationalities, but I have also come across a lot of predjudice and Aussies from the Eastern States have confirmed that they also found it difficult to be accepted by Western Australians. Given the difficulties I have had getting a job, and knowing other OZ/Nz'ders
working in the UK. I can't see that Oz is any more welcoming.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Jirrupin
In many ways I think that changing careers in your 30's, is an ideal age, because of the experience and confidence you have. But trying to establish yourself in a new career, in a new country whilst trying to settle and feed a large family is a whole other ball game. Unless you have wads of cash behind you to cushion the way.
This is what actually scares me most, I am not affraid of difficulties, in fact I live in a country where you have to struggle them on a daily basis, but I am not sure if income for the first year(s), while being in a low paid position, would cover at least the very basic needs. We can't bring heaps of cash, instead, heaps of kids but they have to eat, go to school etc.
I'm mostly thinking about short way change (no time for taking 3...4 years course). Haven't looked thoroughly yet, but possibly some trades, eg. bricklayer (worked a bit while studying here), joiner, driver or may be realty stuff.
I just wanted to see whether people do things like that and how it turns out for them, seems much more complicated than expected. Will jump into investigation then.
Thanks for all replies, all the best in the upcoming New Year.