Laser Eye Surgery

Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
Well I guess those Moorfields doctors and my FIL, an eye surgeon, have no idea what they were talking about. I guess people naively assume that once you have the surgery that your vision will stay 20/20 and not need to have any alterations ever.
Calm down, differing opinions and all that...

I don't think anyone who's done research ever thinks it's a 'forever' cure. They know that at some point the 20/20 will go and they'll more than likely require glasses again or have them 'tweaked'. I think the wording you used implies to everyone disagreeing with you that the 'tweaking' will be done in the following weeks, not at some point in the future.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Molyn is an unknown quantity at this point

I had blended laser eye surgery in Lausanne, Switzerland in August 2011. I was refused surgery in the UK as I was told my eyes were too dry. At the age of 50 I can now see close up and long distance without glasses. I wrote a book about it called Laser Eye Surgery - a personal experience (available on Kindle) which I hope will help people considering laser eye surgery and give them an idea of what actually happens in the operating room.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I had laser surgery in 2008 in Parsons Green, shortly after I moved back to UK from Bermuda.

I was also very shortsighted, about -6 and -7 and long sightedness was not something that I could comprehend even. i.e. the idea of having to move something away from me to read it better was alien to me, who had worn glasses since age 7.

It is about 3-3.5 years since I had my laser surgery and I am 41 a bit older than you. I am not long sighted yet, but I do think that I will be in due course and maybe in the next five or ten years I will need to get reading glasses. I have moments when I push something away from me in order to read it better and can definitely tell that things are going this way.

But if I have to get reading glasses in the future, I would consider it a small price to pay for the benefits I have now in not being short sighted any more.

Going ahead with laser surgery is categorically the best decision I have ever made.

I have posted it before but I will again, here is an online review of my process.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/health-thera...rgery/1124984/
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:00 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I never gave an update on my wife's op. She's now a month in from having it done and is happy as with the results. She got it done in Brisbane for $6400, but that gives her free repeat procedures if her vision changes again. So in all, she is very very happy and can finally see my climax face when we are doing it
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:06 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the op TE and stop worrying. I don't know anyone who's regretted getting then done
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:43 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Good luck with the op TE and stop worrying. I don't know anyone who's regretted getting then done
Stevie wonder did
Old Mar 12th 2012, 5:36 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Well... No laser surgery for me. Apparently my tear production is low and of poor quality!! The Harley Street chap I saw was incredibly thorough so I trust his opinion (especially as the Chain one I saw would do it instantly) and it's far better to wear a mixture of bins and connies than create a major life long dry eye problem.

I feel a bizarre urge to undergo some other procedure now. Considering a skin peel or something else a la mode? Any ideas?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Well... No laser surgery for me. Apparently my tear production is low and of poor quality!! The Harley Street chap I saw was incredibly thorough so I trust his opinion (especially as the Chain one I saw would do it instantly) and it's far better to wear a mixture of bins and connies than create a major life long dry eye problem.

I feel a bizarre urge to undergo some other procedure now. Considering a skin peel or something else a la mode? Any ideas?
Sorry about the eye-op news. Still, for the best I guess.

As for another op - breast implants.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Aw what a shame. I must admit, if I were to pin point one side effect of the treatment it would be dry eyes. I usually carry eye drops and need to use them maybe every few days, so perhaps not excessive and I have og tused to it now and decided it is worth it.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:16 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Aw what a shame. I must admit, if I were to pin point one side effect of the treatment it would be dry eyes. I usually carry eye drops and need to use them maybe every few days, so perhaps not excessive and I have og tused to it now and decided it is worth it.
Apparently I'm not ruled out forever and if I was staying in London he would have treated me for dry eye syndrome for 3 months and then reassessed laser treatment. He also wouldn't treat anyone who he couldn't see for follow ups for 6 months after the surgery. It's quite shocking just how different his attitude was to the chain laser clinic I saw last time - who gave me a huge hard sell and basically said '20/20 vision' the next day. Apparently he ends up with a number of these patients.

Another and less drying option is contact lens implants. I could have these at some point but I'm really unlikely to stay in one place long enough.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought what is so wrong with glasses?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Just a thought what is so wrong with glasses?
I'm still a bit vain, they are in the way for sports (they slide down your nose when sweating) and crap when sailing in bad weather, you always need to carry two pairs and keep changing (sun ones and then indoors). Try going diving as a glasses wearer - getting in the dinghy with prescription sunglasses, getting kitted up with them on, finding a safe dry place to stow them, putting steamed up prescription mask on well before going down as Mr TE faffs around on the surface with his new hose set up.

Oh to be able bodied....
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

My friend in Spain has had the permanent contact lens procedure and has been very happy with it, can now see perfectly. My extremely short sighted Dad also had the lens replaced when he had his cataracts done and although he still wears glasses he can actually see without them now.

I can understand wanting it done as I hate wearing glasses all the time, they are such a pain ...other than sunnies. I've worn contacts for years but still find them a pain when swimming, snorkelling etc. I now have to wear readers as well so I now have glasses perched on the end of my nose which looks daft! If I don't have the contacts in I can read but can't see ...it's so annoying! I've read about bifocal contacts - how the hell do they work?! Will ask optician next time I go.

I'm unsure about laser but the permanent contact lens my friends had would probably be my choice, would be so nice to not to have to faff around with glasses, contacts etc!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OK Have not read through all posts so forgive me if I am repeating stuff.

Both hubbie and I didn't get on with long term wearing of contact lenses for various reasons so looked into laser treatment.

Both hubbie and I had our eyes done (made him go first) at OPTIMAX in Manchester in early days early 90's when they did them 6 months apart, although things and techniques were changing fast and by the time I had my second eye done it was much better and a LOT less painful.

Any way we discussed this issue and the doc recommended leaving one eye still slightly shortsighted rather than both 20:20. This would then compensate for the age related long sightedness.

Well it takes a day or so but your brain copes with the difference and evens it out. We both had very good eyesight without glasses afterwards.

Now I am 50 and still good, can read fine without glasses and still good for distance, can still read a numberplate and far beyond the required distance.

Hubbie reckons he is starting to have difficulties with reading now and in poor light, but our mate (an optician) says his sight doesn't need correcting yet and it is probably down to the amount of screen work he does (eye strain).

We do both still have checks on our eyes for health reasons though even though sight is good.

One eye is better for distance and one for close work but I can only tell which if I close one and concentrate! With both eyes open I just have good eyesight.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well the reason I didn't get on with contact lenses was poor quality tears! (not viscous enough apparently)

The reason I had laser treatment in fact, and I have not had any issues with dry eyes since. Maybe the techniques are different now but I would get another opinion. I was not aware that it could make a dry eye worse. But as I say that might depend on the treatment you were going for.

I had PKR I think.